Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Dave

Seth:

You're right, pardner. Considerable change from No. 1 to No. 2. It's easy to see significant improvement in your edging treatment and a much more refined stitching process. Keep at it, pard, you're getting there. It's amazing how much we learn the more work we do. I know the rest of us would agree that we're all still learning with every project, regardless of how long we've been at it.

No matter how you feel about them now, one of these days (if you're like most of us) you'll have progressed to the point that you'll look back at these early projects and grin about how far your craftsmanship has come.

Like anything else, it's all about good fundamentals then practice, practice, practice.
Thanks for sharing these with us and keep cuttin' leather.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Seth Shaw

Much obliged pard! Being able to see first hand the obvious and considerable improvement from one project to the next gives me a great deal of satisfaction and greatly increases my enthusiasm and confidence in leatherworking. It's been a real privilege to be able to examine photos of the work of the truly talented leathersmiths that frequent this forum. Thanks again to all of you for helping to inspire me! Next up on my list will be a fully floral carved buscadero double holster rig for my wife. I'm looking forward to exploring that style and making adjustments to accommodate a female figure. It should be a great learning experience.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, I must say you've progressed a lot. That new rig is great. I like the border pattern along both the top and bottom edges of the belt, it gives the whole thing a more finished appearance. The stitching looks more even, too. All in all, great job. I'm looking forward to seeing that rig for your wife.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Buck Stinson

This one is patterned from an original F.A. Meanea, Cheyenne holster and money belt in my collection.   I made this rig for myself and it is a bit fancier than those offered on my web site. 

Adios,
Buck

]

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Buck

Nice job Buck , you really did a great job on the tooling, and everything else, the tooling on the holster, really stands out. My hats off to ya Pard  :o 8)

Ten Wolves Five Shooter ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Buck, that's just plain beautiful. I really like it. It sure looks like a Meanea, all right. Outstanding work. Do you have a close-up of that border pattern? Thanks for posting it.

Buck Stinson

This one is a little better.  You won't find these stamps anywhere, because I make my own.  As I said earlier, the gear I make is patterned from original pieces in my collection.  Some modern tooling stamps are close, but close isn't good enough for me.  I try to give my customers exactly what they could have purchased if they walked into a saddle shop anywhere on the frontier between 1849 and 1900.

Adios,
Buck

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Buck. That does nicely. I like making my own stamps, too. I have one that is very similar to the center one of yours. I agree, close isn't really good enough. That's a fine holster.

Buck Stinson

The circle in the center was called a sunburst by old time saddle makers.  The small flower in the middle, is an old store bought stamp made by Osborne.  Tandy has one similar.  In addition, there are four other individual stamping tools used to make up the sunburst and a total of eight four individual hammer strikes.

Adios,
Buck

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks. I like it. I can see I need to make a new stamp or two, now. ;)

Triggersmith

I have been doing a little more sewing and a little less tooling lately. I like the looks of contrasting thread against the leather, so I have sewn in a pattern on the front of my new bandoleer holster for my R-M 51.  Instead of the usual fold over holster I made  a front and back.  I could get more stitching in that way. Always looking for ways to improve my craft.  Any critique is always welcome.
Thanks
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dalton Masterson

Hey thats really cool!!! I have been toying with that idea, seeing as how I found some bright Orange thread awhile back. Did you just saddle stitch it or is it a different type of stitch? DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Great holster, Triggersmith. I really like the half-flap design. The stitching really sets it off, too.

Triggersmith

Thanks Gents.  That is just a straight saddle stitch.  I make my pattern just like I was going to tool.  I groove it and use the stitch wheel then sew.  I use my saddle awl at a slight angle to the groove, like the book says and got to it. It's a nice alternative to tooling.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

outrider

Triggersmith...great looking holster.  I too like the stitching.

Dalton...where did you find the orange thread and what size is it?
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

My neighbor whose father used to dabble in leather, gave it to me. It looks like one of the smaller rolls of Tandy waxed thread or nyltex. Not sure what it is for sure, but it will contrast nice with black. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

outrider

Howdy pards:

Well, I have finally finished this holster, which is a rendition of the Charlie Prince (Ben Foster) rig as designed and made by Will Ghormley for the 3:10 to Yuma movie.  I took Will's 49er pattern and modified the mainseam then added the stitching and the spots.  I have already started a cross draw verson and hope to have it done for next weeks shoot.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com