Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Here is a picture of a Butt Cover I just finished for my Sharps. Also attached is a picture of the end piece just after wet-molding but before trimming and assembly.

I'm going to make this one over and tweak it some. Usually it takes me a few tries to get things the way I want them to fit and look.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

outrider

Johnny  the stock cover looks relly great...nice job pard
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Howdy Pards:

I have finally gotten the time to finish one of Will's "Jessie James" holsters.  This one is patterned for the Ruger New Vaquero.  I will make a crossdraw version next.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

That's one of the nicest buttcovers I've seen, Johnny. I'm usually too lazy to mold the end cap but it sure makes a good job. Looks great.

Good work on the holster, Outrider. I love the simple, flowing design. It really doesn't have bold focus points like most designs. This one takes your eye all over.

Thanks for the pics, pards.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

Johnny , thats a good looking butt cover, I've been fooling around with these for a while now myself , but I've been sewing them and then turning them inside out to hide the sewing line, which is ok if the leather is thin enough to work with, but sometimes its not and it wont turn, even if you wet the leather , so I just leave the sewing on the outside, and it still looks good, but I like your idea, and it really looks nice, so if you don't mind, I think I'll give your way a try . Thanks for the post and the pictures. :)

Outridder, It's always a pleasure to look at your work, and this piece is no exception, NICE job I really like the patern it;s very unique, Like Marshal Will Wingam said, your eyes are all over it.  :)

Job Well Done To Both Of You  8) My Hats Off To Both Of You   ;D

Ten Wolves   ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks for the compliments Pards!

Outrider,
Beautiful job on the Jessie James Holster! Marshall Will's comments hit the nail on the head. This design gives the holster a real elegant look.

Ten Wolves,
Check out Triggersmith's post of June 29, 2006 on the Leather shop. He does a real good job of describing how to wet-mold the end of a rifle stock butt cover. I think you will be pleased with the results.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I'll do that Johnny , Thanks for the info.

Ten Wolves :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

I checked Triggersmiths post, on RIFLE & SHOTGUN COVERS , great post , he does a nice job of explaning what he did and how to go about it. Thanks to you and Triggersmimth , I think I can get this done, I look forward to new ideas and neat projects.  8)

Thanks again and have a great week  :)

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Thanks for the nice comments.  However we should also thank Will Ghormley for such an elegant design...
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outridder

Your wright about that Outridder , A Big Thanks To Will Ghormley, for all he's done for all us leather Pards , I got started with making my first holster and gun belt , by useing Wills paterns , and I have to say Will makes it so easy for the new leather worker, that when I finished my holster and gun belt , I couldn't believe I did it, and I still don't , his paterns helped me go on to other things , and to do my own designs, it opened up the world of leather to me, and for this I'm very GRATFULL,

Thanks Will Ghromley  :D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

Irish Dave

Johnny and Outrider:
Nice work on both projects. Lookin' good.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

outrider

I finally got the Frank James holster finished.  This is cut for the Old Ruger Vaquero..Bisley 5 1/2" brl
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Hello Outrider, Wow! Another great Holster from your workshop. Beautiful workmanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

Lookin' good, Outrider. Thanks for the photos. Great job, especially on the rosettes. What tools did you use to make them?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Excellent work Outridder, nice style and tooling design too, not to mention that Bodaious Bisley, you have some really nice hardware Pard..... ::) :o ??? 8)

Ten Wolves  :D ;D ;)

outrider

Thanks for the compliments pards...but again we have to thank Will for the nice design.  Unfortunately, I have that "gotta have" bug when it comes to harware... ::) ::)   I always had a thing about the Bisley's..in fact my first Vaquero, which was a 7 1/2" job was converted to a Bisley (since Ruger didn't make one with that barrel length)..talk about a smooth and well balanced gun   ;) ;) :D
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Tommy tornado

I like the Frank James Holster a lot!  I just finished three but didn't bevel my swivel knife work.  Now I am thinking I should have after looking at yours.  I also went with the cut out for the hammer.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

will ghormley

You know, when I see the work you guys do with my patterns, and hear about how it gets you started on other things, it just makes it all worth while. 

Will
"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Back ya Will

Will, I've been trying to thank you personally, for some time now , on several other post. anyway, THANKS PARD, I started out useing your paterns, after having them recomended, by Wayne Christenson, of Standing Bears Leather, in Resesa Ca., and I haven't stopped yet, i'm even useing some of my ideas , based on your paterns with nice results , you've made leather working, fun and enjoyable for alot of us Pards out there, you put a lot of thought in designing all these paterns, and I just want you to know how we all appreciate it. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. 8)

Thanks again Will Ghormley :D ;D

Ten Wolves Five Shooter ;) :D ;D

will ghormley

Well, you're welcome Ten Wolves.

I've always had a good time workin' leather.  It means a lot to me to be able to share that feelin' with other folks.  I'll do my best to continue helpin' you guys do your best.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com