Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really great, TS. I've never seen one before. It looks like a really comfortable item to have at your side. Lots of things done a little differently than what I've seen before. It really feeds the imagination. I agree on the Bison Brown, good choice.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Triggersmith

Much obliged Marshall. I've always valued your opinion. Yes it is comfortable.  There are 2 straps that are worn with this. The other has chains on the end of the strap that hook onto the Sporran.  Allows the Sporran to sway a bit while you are struttin our stuff. I made the llid fastener from a wood drawer pull.  Drilled a couple holse and cut a small channel for the thread and stained it.  I think it is fascinating to draw from different cultures for our ideas.  That's always been the American way.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Major 2

Ray

You know want I think about it ...  and shot you an Idea ...
and I particular like the shape of the front flap it has an elegant re-curve to it.
the color is perfect too.
when planets align...do the deal !

Johnny McCrae

Attached are pictures of a Shotgun belt I just finished. Nothing fancy, just a basic belt. The belt loops are fabricated from 1-1/2" cotton webbing. I tried to space the shells in groups of two.

I'm working on a couple of sets of saddle bags using help received from this forum. I will post my progress after I get past the half way point.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

The belt looks good, Johnny. I like the contrast between the cotton and the leather. It's striking. Nice idea to make the couble loops side by side, too.

will ghormley

Hey Y'all,

With filming of "Appaloosa" fixin' to start in New Mexico, I built a web-page about the movie.  Ed Harris may use a rig I made for him last August, but nuthin's set in stone.  The novel, "Appaloosa" by Robert B. Parker, is a "must read" for anyone who likes Westerns, and I'll bet money the movie will be well worth seein' too.

You can check it out at:  http://www.willghormley-maker.com/Appaloosa.html

Take care of yurselvs,
Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

Good site, Will. Thanks for the link. It's always good to see the leather you make for these movies.

Triggersmith

Here is a new bandoleer and holster rig I just finished for a friend of mine in Colorado.  It's for a 58 Remmy and is made from my own patterns.  I used Tandy's new black ECO dye and a light wash of very dark brown as a last coat.  It takes away the blue cast and makes the leather look like it has endured 40 miles of bad road.  I like the results.  I have a hard time with black giving me that bluish cast.  Any advise out there to solve that problem is appreciated.
Watch yer Topknot
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Marshal Will Wingam

looks great, TS. I like the long contoured shape. It makes a really nice line for your eye to follow. Thanks for sharing.

If you use Nolan's Vinegaroon dye, there won't be any blue to it at all. Making Old-Time Dyes There's nothing wrong with a top coat of dark brown, though. It makes a nice, rich color. I've also done a heavy brown color first then dyed it black for a similar effect.

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Guano on October 20, 2005, 08:51:25 PM
Been doing leather work for about 9 years for myself and now I've finally got the better half to start shootin so I had to made her something worthy for her. And I wanted it to be very girlie. She was very pleased on how it came out. ;D
The only Red leather that I could find was embossed with a alligator print, so seeing I didn't need to do any carving, I added a few spots.

On the right gal, (Katherin Zeta Jones) that back billet would be ......inspiring.

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Guano on October 26, 2005, 02:08:36 PM
E.R., Thanks for the compliment. The wife really likes it. And it fits her very well. I had to do alittle thinkin on the shape as you know, girls are shaped just a bit different. It was alot of fun to build.

That research was a killer, huh?

Travis Morgan

Guys, what spacing measurement do you guys suggest for bullet loops for .45's, .38's, and .30-30's? Thanks in advance.

Irish Dave

IIRC, I use 3/4" for .45s and .44s and 5/8" for .38-.357 but that is for laced through loops.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Yankee John on November 14, 2005, 07:53:51 PM
I just got these holsters today from Springfield Slim (Whyte Leather Works) and  I absolutely love them!  They fit my Remington NMA 5 1/2" (top) and my Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" (bottom) perfectly.

Here is a blatant plug for Slim:

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

John

NICE! It don't have to be tooled to death, or look like something from a Mexican parade to look classy.

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Forty Rod on March 24, 2006, 04:35:13 PM
What makes a knife sheath left handed?

I'm a righty and prefer my blade to have the cutting edge back on the left side, forward on the right.  That way when I draw the knife, the cutting edge is up in either case.

Is that wrong?

Forty,

It's definitely better in a fight. BTW, tell the folks on the wire for me that the wife's doin' fine, would ya? BH banned me for speaking the truth.

Forty Rod

Done. 

I told you, "don't poke the bear".
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Forty Rod on October 03, 2007, 04:11:33 PM
Done. 

I told you, "don't poke the bear".

I was thinking he was more like a well connected poodle with a fence to hide behind, or something. Never occured to me that he would EVER be considered a bear.

outrider

Howdy Pards

Here are some of my accessories....12 gauge belt loops...20 gauge belt loops (double)...belt cartridge loops (.45), and a set of staging loops (holds 20 rounds to take to the line)
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice accessories, TR. Clean and attractive. What length strap do you use for the loops on the 12ga loops so they slip in/out easily, resting on the keeper strips at the bottom?

outrider

Marshall:

The stitch spacing is as follows:

20 gauge single loop...1 3/4" on the loop and 7/8" on the slide
20 gauge double loop..2 3/8" on the loop and 1 3/4" on the slide (as shown in picture)
12 gauge sinlge loop....2 1/8" on the loop and 1" on the slide (as shown in picutre)
12 gauge double loop..2 7/8" on the loop and 1 7/8" on the slide

This should work for you
Outrider
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com