Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, WJ, GW, you both put out some nice leather. I like the utility and function of your rig, WJ. It has a nice no-nonsense look. There's a lot to be said for keeping it clean. GW, The simple black with a simple border is effective with the accents on the keeper loop. That laced on skirt would make it easy to put on a drop loop belt. Traditionally, that is done when the holster is wet and before folding the pouch through the keeper. Your idea is sound. You could also sew it on but then, you'd have the same situation as with the rivets. What you have is sound. You can also replace the laces if they wear through in the future. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you both.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Gun Butcher

Great work GW and WJ, I really hate it when new guys show up some of the rest of us ;) ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

GeorgiaWolf

Thanks to all for your kind words!  :D

Marshal Will-   thanks for your input on the skirt, much appreciated!  Although I have been doing leather for quite a while, holster making is pretty new to me. All my experience has been in the custom motorcycle end of the biz.
Always good to get an honest critique of my work so I can improve.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? ....

JD Alan

Hey there G W, that's a very nice looking holster. I learned something new from your post; I did not know you could stamp Latigo leather! You sure did, and it looks great. Thanks for sharing pictures of your work, and welcome to the forum, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

RollingThunder

Sorta opens the door to all manner of possibilities, including incise work ... hmmmm.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

cowboywc

Latigo can be carved and stamped but it is hard to do. Takes a long time to get enough water in to it with all the oil and wax.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

RollingThunder

But gouge and knife work would be a good for it, right?

Wiley Desperado

WJ that is a great looking rig I really like the design and the coloring is great, to me it looks very "period correct" as they say, the shot gun belt is very well done as well.
GW very nice looking holster I really like the idea of using leather lace to fasten the keeper loop.

JD Alan

To follow up on RT's question about Latigo leather and carving, how do you "get enough" water in it to stamp it?

I'm hoping WC or someone can shed some light on that one. Thanks JD

GeorgiaWolf

Thanks for the latest comments!

JD-   As for stamping the latigo, I don't use water. There is enough softness in the leather as is.  Just whack it with the stamp! I have done plenty of basketweave inlays for some Harley stuff, and never had a problem with the stamping coming "undone"

Tooling latigo may be a different story, as I have not tried that
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? ....

cowboywc

Howdy JD
GW is right, sharp stamps like good basketweaves and camo will work without wetting the leather. As far as carving it the amount of water depends on the latigo. It's trail and error.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

RollingThunder

Ken Parker's dog training pouch. It's for carrying treats for his pups in training, as well as for his older dogs. The inside is waxed so the treats don't rot the leather.

It's also custom monogrammed. He originally wanted it to say "Parker's Dog Training" however that would have been a LOT of small words and would have been really tough to do in leather. LOL. Not impossible, but really would have been crammed. The monogram was much more tasteful.

The billet locks by passing through a keeper and the spots hold it in place. It has just enough slip to come back when you pull it, but holds when it's in there.

Might also work as a cylinder pouch for a cap and ball revolver.

RollingThunder

Here's my latest, though. It's a belt for Jessica Colvin, aka Cutter123. She trains cutting horses out in Cali. The tooling should look familiar to WC, as I think it was on his site that I found the pattern -- or maybe not. LOL. Anyway, if it is yours, I'm sorry it's not a better representation of your work. LOL. I also had to bling it up a teensy bit because it's for a trophy buckle. Got some close ups so you guys can see it warts and all. EVOO and Gel Antique Tan with a teensy bit of Briar Brown highlight, with bright nickel spots.

Close up of the spots.

The tooling. It's slowly getting better. Not great by any means, but better.

So that's what I've been up to lately.

cowboy316

RT
your amazing with your use of spots and color wish my color would turn out like that
great job bud keep it up
Cowboy316

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

That's one fancy belt Pardner, like 316 said great use of spots and your tooling, and the color is Awesome. ::) :o :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RT,

I would echo TW's comments. Very nice work! That is a great idea to use spots as part of a keeper. Thank you for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

Howdy RT,  :)
AWESOME Belt!!!!! I realy like the carving and the lay out of the spots! The design of the belt is perfect!! There is no doubt that the lady that is getting that will be very very pleased!! Great Job!
Thanks For Sharing!

Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Well. this quality comes as no surprise to me, now that I own a picec of RT leather (Spur straps) Your ability to set spots and get cool color is realy amazing. These are great examples of your work, and they inspire me to get my butt out in the shop and practice setting spots. Thanks, JD

RollingThunder

Thanks guys. The keeper is sewn into the main body. I put three spots onto it, sewed it on, then set the last two spots, prior to final assembly. The keepers on the back are the same way, because field pants are typically tougher cotton duck canvas, and would likely wear the thread after awhile. So the spots keep them from doing that.

Funny you should mention practice setting spots, Parson. Cause I had a couple of mis-placed spots on this one. Could use some practice myself. LOL.

All in all, thanks for the comments everyone!

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice work, RT. The pouch is well done using the spots to keep it closed. That's a clever ides. The belt is also a fine one. those spots offset the tooling nicely. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com