Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice work CC, good idea

TW  :D ;D ;)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

CC,
I realy like the name plate!! I like your design, I hope you don't mind but I think I might copy your idea ;D ;D
Keep up the GREAT work!!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

RollingThunder

Howdy all. Just lots and lots of work to be done. Spent the morning and most of the day yesterday working leather, and just got done with the stamping on a set of dove wing spur straps for a fella who simply cannot buy off-the-shelf stuff. Not because of his tastes, but because he has frickin' HUGE clod hoppers! Great guy though, and I was honored he chose me. Likes the color I get on leather, I guess.

Yes, that'd be you, parson!

Anyway, those are drying out on the tailgate of my truck in God's own microwave, and getting a tan to boot. Trying to get them done for you in time for the 3-Gun in Piru. At the same time, trying not to have them ruined by rushing them. We'll see how they're doing in about an hour.

And here's some roping cuffs I did for a friend of mine who rides in the rougher country. Her name is Denise, but we all call her Necey. Ya'll need to know how da Necey rolls. Usually about Mach 3 with lightning bolts shooting out her bum, and she rides in some of the rougher country. Well, she's been tearing up clothes like no one's business. Not a good thing to leave for a ride looking like Mrs. Robinson, and coming back looking like Robinson Crusoe. So I made her a set of roping cuffs to hopefully keep her from ripping up her sleeves much more.

Necey has very thin forearms, by the way, and I made these cuffs extra-long to cover as much of the forearm as possible. The hope is that she rides them all to heck and back, and can tell me how well they hold up.

Here's a detail of the billets and the pewter spots I used on these. Got them from Standard Rivet Company, and really liked them.

Here's the backsides and the lacing. I leave the lacing sticking out so you can pull them on a little easier, like having the pull-tabs on boots.

And of course, when a gal is riding out in the San Tans, ya gots ta have some authentic cowboy bling, right? So, more spots up top (pewter) and some very tasteful lace stamping.

And finally, my maker's mark. Considering I don't have a press for this badboy, I'm getting better at vise-applying it. LOL.

So, now I'm gonna spend the rest of the afternoon finishing a sent of chinks, those spur straps, starting a different set of custom straps, and a custom belt.

No rest for the wicked, right?

Right.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Ace Lungger

Howdy RT, :)
Realy nice looking cuffs!!! I have never made a nice set, and I wanr yo give it a shot one of these days! I don't think mine will be as nice as your's, but I am going to give it a try!
Thanks for Sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Those look fantastic Roland. I like the pewter spots. Good news about the progress on the spur straps.

Maybe you could ship them to me at the hotel near Piru. The shoot doesn't start until Thursday with side matches, with the main match beginning Friday. That would give you a few more days to do whatever you needed to do. I leave Wednesday morning, and plan to visit WC's shop that afternoon. I can PM you with the info. Lookin forward to seein'm ! JD     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Very cool cuffs, RT. Simple and classy. Nice job, she should get good use out of those.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Wiley Desperado

Great job on those cuffs RT nice spots good color. 

Patrick Henry Brown

Well, it has been awhile since I posted here to show off what I've been doing, but today is the day. To begin with, my youngest graduated from High School and moved out to college, so the wife and I went on a diet. No junk food in the house helps. Been loosing inches which is great, but does upset the CAS leather fit. So I sold a couple of my proevious gunbelts, and took in a couple of my ammo belts. I've finally settled on 1875 Remingtons in 7 1/2" barrels as my main match guns, with my 1872 Open Tops as backups. Having kept the two burgundy holsters from my first holster building, I decided to try something different and make a Buscadero belt for them. I had a 3" belt blank laying around and some leftover shoulder material, so I came up with a two tone rig that is adorned in Stone Mountain Civil War Commerative Quarter Conchos I found on Ebay. Finished it about two weeks before my next match and enjoyed it, BUT --- by the time the match came, I was on the smallest hole. Decided I had to shorten it, so I cut two more inches out of the back of the belt and carved a Confederate Battle Flag patch to cover the seam. I wore it to my last match at the end of July and everyone thought it was designed that way.

We are having the Texas Regional NCOWS Match in Greenville, TX at the Ten Horns Club in November and I discovered that none of my holsters were NCOWS legal. So last week, I dug out some poster board, the pencils and my Remingtons and came up with my own design that would meet the regulations and be wearable over the top of a traditional gunbelt, rather than a Buscadero rig. They are 7 oz. leather, likewise lined in 7 oz. leather. I have shyed away from basketweave patterns on holsters in the past, because I thought they were sometimes too busy. Decided this time to give it a go, and also designed the Texas T-Strap (Jockstrap) with the carved LongHorn. Holsters are stained in Acorn Brown from Tandy and finished with EVOO for a very light and mild sheen. I really like the color and finish on these. I also changed my stiching from 5 stitches to 8 stiches per inch and in the contrasting stitch colors it looks much better.  I believe these are my best efforts to date and appreciate any comments you may have.

Patrick Henry Brown

Pictures of the New Holsters  ;D  ;D

Bodie Bascom

Wow Preacher, those are fantastic.  Love those jockstrap holsters.  That Confederate patch is a really good idea.

bodie
Texas Peacemakers
NCOWS
SASS
SBSS
WARTHOG
NRA
TSRA

RollingThunder

Nice bit of alteration work there Preacher! Really like the new leather too! You can almost see yourself in the old leather ya got there! Wooo!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

cowboywc

Howdy PC
That's a good lookin rig. Like the T Starp holsters too.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Wiley Desperado

Nice leather work Preacher Clint great design and like the coloring real well on the new holsters.  Heck of a good idea covering the alteration on the belt.  Thanks for sharing those pictures. 

TyG

Here is the latest from Australia, hope you like it.

TyG

Another shot, I made the tree, it is a Wade style and the leather is Hermann Oak with Jeremiah Watt hardware.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy All

Nice job on the holsters PC, keep up the good work ::) 8)

Ten Wolves  :D ;D

TyG, That's one good looking saddle Pard, looks like you've been at this leather work for a while, thanks for sharing  ::) :o 8)

TW  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

TyG
That is a good lookin saddle. Hope mine comes out half that good.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

FEATHERS

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice work, PC. I like those TJ holsters a lot. They have a nice, balanced look. Very suitable for the late 1800's.

Whoa, TyG. What a nice sadle. I love the meandering tooling on it. Very tastefully done.

Thanks for the pic, pards. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Wiley Desperado

Wow! TyG what a great looking saddle. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com