Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Buckshot

With the recent discussion of carrying a large knife inside your boot on another post I thought I'd share this one I built many years ago. It's for a 9 1/2" blade Collins and Co. Bowie(more like a machette! ::)) Anyone know when this knife might have been made? I got it in a trade in the early 70's.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Gun Butcher

Now that would definitely keep at least one foot on the ground ;)
  Very clean looking sheath and I like the color. Thanks for showing it to us.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really cool, Ned. I like the simple design with the straps. Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ned Buckshot

Well I just got a good education from St. George over at the "Cutting Edge Forum". here's his reply concerning my Collins and Co. Knife.

Ned

You have a Collins Survival Machete/Survival Knife - the V-44.

'V-44' has no relevance beyond being the identifier in a supply catalog.

First developed in 1934,  for flying personnel  in Panama and Hawaii, it was carried in a jungle bail-out kit attached to the parachute harness.

The Collins No. 18 was the first type, and remained standard until 1942, and they supplied 50,000 of them between 1934 and 1942.

They were also supplied by Case, Kinfolks and Western.

They were an ideal survival machete - the drawback for normal usage was their size - but for clearing brush and building shelters, they were handy.

Additionally, they were used in the Pacific by the Marines - but those are usually numbered, with 'U.S.M.C'  - and most had a green horn handle - the black composition ones were of normal issue, procured through 'regular' channels, and yours would seem to fill that description.

The relatively thin blade makes it a poor choice for a fighting Bowie - the principal advantage being it's size being psychological - adding a 'dangerous' look.

They remained somewhat 'available' through supply channels for a long time, before they found their way onto the surplus market.

Some were even modified by individual SF guys  who added 'sawteeth' for the added 'fiend appeal'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out

(Information from several sources - 'U.S. Military Knives' by Cole being predominant)

Ned Buckshot

Ned Buckshot

Here's a picture of the knife alone.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Dalton Masterson

Thats neat Ned! I can see the resemblance in the handle shape to a regular issue machete.
Makes a cool and probably lighter weight bowie for our uses I bet.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ned Buckshot

It's great fun to find out about it. ;D I've owned it for over 30 years and never knew a thing! ::)

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a cool knife. I like those older issue ones. It's fun to make decent leather for them.

cowboy316

hey pards havent had enough leather to do any holsters so i decided to try my hand at bullet loops heres a belt loop with 5 bullet loops that can hold my 30-30 or my .270 bullets so there it my first try at bulltet loopets enjoy and feel free to give advice LOL
thanks pards
     Cowboy316

Dalton Masterson

They look real good! Nice and even, and most importantly, they hold the bullets where they are supposed to be.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

It looks like you did those loops fine. You may have already done this, but on the top stitch, I loop the thread through a second time so the stitch will be stronger ans less apt to come loose.

Bodie Bascom

JBird, That is one fine lookin' piece of cutlery.

Bodie
Texas Peacemakers
NCOWS
SASS
SBSS
WARTHOG
NRA
TSRA

Jbird

Thank you
I should have said I made the sheath as well.
Work Hard, Live Well, And never Give up

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pard

Say if you could post your pictures here we could all take a look, the link you gave takes you to another forum, where you have to be a member, I tried two times to register but they didn't like what I entered so I threw in the towel, that place will drive a pard nuts... ??? :-\ :-X :-[ :( >:( >:( ???

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Jbird

Sorry pards
I don't know way happened I will try to fix it.
Work Hard, Live Well, And never Give up

Wiley Desperado

This is a right hand cross draw holster for a S&W 5 shot I designed and made for a friend with his cattle brand on it. 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Willey, I'm sure your friend will love it  ::)

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Wiley Desperado

JD Alan

It looks great Wiley. I especially like the color. Thanks for the pictures. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com