Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Darn nice work, Chuck. I really like, well, all of them! I have to put a handle on a blade I got from Crazy Crow. I hope I can get even vaguely close to your quality. Thanks for sharing those.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

ChuckBurrows

I got me a Tom Stroh flintlock smoothbore ready to shoot and a flint Rocky Mtn rifle I'm building on, so after 36 years of packing the ole shooting bag and horn I figured it was time to retire the ole ones and build me a new set.........first thing I've made myself in a number of years  ;D
The bag design, size, and decoration are based on the shot bags (one of the names used for such bags in the literature of the times) seen in the artwork of Alfred J. Miller who went to the 1837 Mtn Man Rendezvous.
The bag is 7 1/2" x 91/2" approximate........the body and strap are made from heavy brain tan that was not overly softened....the beadwork is typical Northern Plains style of the period - color choice and size was based on what was available per the trade lists and other documentation of the 1830's era.......bag is 7 1/2" x 91/2" approximate

The horn is an original dated 1791 and later 1825 - I added the rawhide repairs to make it usable and added the beaded strap

The back of the bag - the thong and buffalo bone toggle slip under the waist belt and keep the bag from swinging freely, yet allows the bag and horn to be easily removed without having to remove the belt..........You can also see the gusseted bottom which allows a bit more room for my big hands

Inside - lined with bed/pillow ticking, also documented to time and place - it has a small inner pouch made from leather to hold greased patches, balls, or whatever....

Some new and old accoutrements to go along with the new bag...

Top row below the main horn - from left to right:
Cap horn for when I carry my caplock rifle, shotgun, or C & B revolvers - made it in 1973.....
Antelope horn powder measure re-enforced with buffalo rawhide (horn is the tip from the first goat I ever took back in 1973)
"Medicine" Bottle aka what one carries his beaver scent in - re willow covered with deer rawhide

Second Row
Original Ely Bros cap box circa 1840 - I carry a couple of spare flints in it!
An original powder/shot measurer circa 1840 - use it for my smoothbore

Bottom Row
Hand Forged turn screw out of late 1800's rake tine
"Bag" knife - re-shaped from an original Shear Steel table knife made by Robert F. Mosley, Sheffield (circa 1850-60's? - the style is older) - the bone handle is reinforced with buffalo rawhide
Hand Forged fire striker from a piece wagon spring found along the Oregon Trail near South Pass in 1974....

Anyway hope ya'll enjoy the look see and keep up the good work!!! cause I like looking too    ;D  ;)  ;D
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

ChuckBurrows

Thanks Dalton and I fixed it...

Will - which blade did you get? If you need any advice or?? give me a shout.......

PS - Got a bunch of Cowboy Gear coming up soon - big change from this type stuff - may have to relearn all over how to do things! :o
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Bad Hombre,
Great job on your Holster and Lever Wrap. Very nice designs and workmanship! Many thanks for sharing.

Howdy Ten Wolves,
Another beautiful Holster from your workshop straight out of the pages of "Packing Iron". You have the dyeing and finishing process mastered. Thank you for sharing this with us and all of the help you have given me on dyeing.

Howdy Chuck,
Thank you sharing your talents and expertise with us. It is always a genuine pleasure to view your work. Its like taking a trip to a Western Art Museum.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Dalton Masterson

Chuck, I am glad you fixed that pic! I love that holster!
Nice bag and horn too! Glad you made something for your self! I just made myself some saddlebags, and it was kind of enjoyable, although it took almost a year from the time I cut them out to getting them done.
Cant wait for your westerny stuff.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Fellas for taking a look at my holsters, and the compliments and kind words are appreciated

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Chuck beautiful work as usual, thanks for the look see, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better :D

TW  ;)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

Sorry to hear about your health challenges Chuck, pneumonia can be a real bugger, nothing to mess with. Your work is nothing short of amazing, in a class all by itself. Thanks for letting us see your finished products.

10 Wolves, those are some cool looking holsters, and I agree with Marshall Will, really great color. It's nice to see the guns too!

JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

Thanks, for the compliment, Pard, I'm really sold on natural dyes.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

RollingThunder

One of these days I'm gonna own me some Chuck leather. Gotta save up all my pennies now. LOL.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

That bag is really beautiful, Chuck. I really like the beadwork on that one. Very, very nice.

I sent you an email about the knife, too. Thanks, pard.

cowboywc

Howdy All
TW brought the holsters in today, the pix don't even come close. They are much better in person.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW, Thanks WC, I much appreciate your kind words,

I think I should post the other rig now, I made a holster and gun belt to go along with the holster I made for the Walker 47 Dragoon, and this one was for the Ruger Super Blackhawk in that same picture, I used my Ruger Flat Top 44 for making the pattern for it, I made it a right hand cross draw and a semi high ride, I put 10 bullet loops on the belt, I gave the back of the holster a higher backing, because the person that will be wearing this rig has a little tummy hang over, I thought the higher backing would be a lot more comfortable to wear, so here it is, hope you all like it.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Dalton Masterson

Very very very nice 10W!!! I like that one just as much!
Keep it up!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Gun Butcher

Chuck, your stuff brings back memories of playin' the buckskinner game. I just don't remember any of us havin' anything as nice as the things you make . They are beautiful.

10W, that rig is just over the top. I love the way you get the subtle light and dark shading in your pieces. Also that border is superb, I really like the simple but elegant look.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboy316

TW
your work is top notch in my book love the color and style of the holster and the ammo belt looks wonderful me on the other hand still kinda gun shy bout trying an ammo belt but i think if i had a good pattern id be ok but to try to do it my self for my first one it might end up like my first holster in the trash bin LOL
thanks for sharing and keep up the great work pard
Cowboy316

Dalton Masterson

Well, here is my latest project. Its almost done. Needs a coat of skidmores, and me to finish waxing the edges, but other than that, they are done.
Oh I need to find a nicer set of buckles, yet too. These are not riveted on yet, they are just there.
Finish is nothing but olive oil, olive oil, sunshine, a 20 minute dip in my coffee dye, and more olive oil, sunshine, and sunshine.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy DM
That's a good lookin set of saddle bags.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice rig, 10W. Very good-looking. The color is really righ and does it justice.

Wow, beautiful saddlebags, Dalton. I like the border on it. Good work, pard.

Kid Terico

Chuck, Thanks for the nice turquoise knife and beaded sheath. Wife said its the best  piece of leather work shes ever gotten. Now I suppose she will want a rig by u also. Now she will leave my knives and sheaths alone . ;D  The pict. doesnt do it justice. See u got my belt pict. up also, cant wait to get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com