Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkscrew Tom

Hey Cowboy,
Nice looking Bible cover! I've got one of those tri-cornered basket weave stamps. Really like the look of it and have used it many times. Good looking carving too. Waiting for the finished product to be posted.
Corkscrew Tom

JD Alan

Outrider, I was assuming (always dangerous) that you were using the dye full strength, it sure did come out nice.

Cowboy 316, that cover just gets better looking as you move forward with it. I bought a tri-weave stamp just before the stroke.
I hope my efforts look as good as yours do. Your carving has a great 3-D look to it. It's outstanding.

WC, 3 hours sleep a night? I thought I was bad with 5 or 6!

God bless, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

thank you guys for the kinds word its you guys and the fact i have my leather wrok keeping my mind on what is most important to me  and right now thats me and my health you guys keep me smiling and wanting to strive to do better and keep moving forward  and thats all i know
    Thank you guys
         Cowboy316

PS heres an ok pic of the whole cover most carving is just back grounded will start the rest tomorrow seein how im not going any where cuz of the blasted snow we are gettin right now
   hers a pattern i put together for another cover but not sure what i wanna do for the other side maybe a full floral in the same pattern but who knows

JD Alan

Cowboy 316, the Bible cover looks like you drew it with a brown pen (that's a compliment) Your lettering is first rate. Nice work. Sorry about the Snow. In NW Oreogn we have a lot of rain, but not too much snow. It's suppose to be close to 70 tomorrow, and I'm going to go watch my club shoot (not up to shooting yet) JD

Corkscrew Tom

JD, glad to hear your doing well enough to get out.
Here's some more projects I've working on lately. A couple of seat covers, and knife sheath.
Corkscrew Tom

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Corkscrew Tom  ;D

Nice work all around Pard, you're a real artist to say the least, thanks for sharing  ::) :o 8) :D

tEN wOLVES  ;)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

howdy C.Tom,  :)
Those are great looking seats! i dream of the day I could do something like that!
Thanks for sharing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks like numbers 2 & 3 of your seat set. Nice sheath, too. Good work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Corkscrew Tom

Thanks Guys,
Yes it is #2&3 with a few more orders coming. I've dabbled in several medias over the years but leather is my favorite. It's rewarding to do something that will be functional, good looking and last.
Stamp at ya later CST

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Cowboy 316,
The Bible cover is coming along great!. You have a real talent there.

Howdy Corkscrew,
Beautiful work! As TW said, you are a real artist. Many thanks for sharing this with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Corkscrew, your carving is very inspirational. I would love to be able to do someting like that. One of these days.....JD

RollingThunder

Well I'll be dipped in ... well ... I'll just be dipped. That looks really nice corkscrew! Very good work on those.

I'll have to go back and catch up now, but for the time being, here's a few pics of some of the stuff I've been working on of late.

Yes, this is the War Department, and no, she is not the same size as the person I made these for, so the fit will be much better when that lady wears them. Somehow, I forgot to ask her the length to her knee from her waist, so I haven't fringed them yet.

Hope you like them so far.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RT,

Very nice! Real professional looking with excellent workmanship! Look forward to seeing them with the fringe on.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

cowboywc

Howdy RT
Those do look good. Nice job.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ace Lungger

RM,
Those are AWESOME!! I realy like the way you made those!! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of leather are the legs made out of and what weight? It is okay if you don't want to answer, that is okay! I understand that this is your living!
I thought about making a pair but just for fun, and I don't want to have a ton of money tied up!
Thanks So Much for Sharing!!
That are AWESOME!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

RollingThunder

The legs are made out of a standard Tandy deer-tanned cowhide. It's a tiny bit stretchier, so it makes for a good chap leather, IMO, because it doesn't bind up at the knees. It's 4 oz.

I bought a whole hide, which I got on sale half-price during a recent sale (got several of those coming up). The color is good because it's pretty neutral. Glad you like them.

Oh, and it's not my living. LOL. I'm just as leather-poor as most of the rest of us on here. LOL.

Johnny Dingus

Corkscrew those seat's look very nice.  Hadn't thought about seat stools.  But those are very nice and would set off a country house.

RT those chaps look almost finished.  Did you make those from a pattern or just off the top of your noggin?  Another item to put on the to do list. 

Thanks for posting and giving me more inspiration.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

RollingThunder

Hey Johnny. The basic layout of the yoke is essentially all that I took from a pattern purchased at Tandy. I thinned the belt yoke dramatically, and the lady I did these for didn't want leg plates, hence the Vaquero-style buttons on the side (actually, they're D-Rings with blood knots with a heavy 5/8" latigo leather- Vaquero style on Armitas would be a leather roll button through a reinforced hole in the leg).

She wanted them to buckle back and front (normally, it's one or the other, not both), and wanted her name on the billet of the back belt. I had enough room for the initials. LOL.

I decided to lace in the billet and chape as well, because she mentioned that one day she might want to give these to one of her children. This way, they can have their own name on the billet, or just have a back strap looped in.

So, long way around the barn, but most of it was my imagination and her measurements. LOL. She did let me know, though, that she added "leather workers" to her very short list of men that a woman will give her actual measurements too. LOL.

Marshal Will Wingam

Good-looking chaps, RT. Good contrast. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skeeter Lewis

Chaps fit real well. So do the jeans. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com