Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will ghormley

Hey Dalton,

No, all the 'yotees had better sence than to be runnin' around in that weather.  They was all curled up under a log some where lickin' their parts.  I had to settle for parched corn an' oatmeal, which isn't bad eatin' actually.  If it had been turkey season I could'a taken a couple of hens out of the jack pines and cedars.  There was a small herd of deer that were out of season too.  They seemed a bit perplexed that I was chasin' 'em around in circles.

If you take a notion you want to try some thin' fool-hardy like that, send me a wire.  I'd like to work in some river float trips this year as well as a couple weeks prospectin'.  Another camp or two before it gets too hot would be nice as well.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

JD Alan

Not in my BEST day! but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!Thanks for the pictures. You're a great story teller WIll, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

Will that there sounded like shinin' times to this ol hivernant. Still got all my mountain plunder cached away sommers aroun the place . It would plumb tickle me to hit the trail with ya one of these days. If the whole shebang don't go up in smoke I might jus try and talk you into it come nex yeer.   
                                                           Gun Butcher  aka Three Poles  aka Two Step
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

will ghormley

Hey Gun Butcher aka Three Poles aka Two Step,

I'm game.  We'll have to whittle down your handle though so we can carry on a conversation, otherwise it'll be a long trip.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

HorsePen Henry

Anyway,....here is a new experiment (to me) that I have been woking on. The old timey way of incised carving on the holsters has intrigued me but I have never tried it until now. Here is my first attempt at it. This is a slim jim pattern for a Remington revolver. The design I developed from a couple of old slim jim holsters in Packin' Iron. I took elements of design from the holsters I liked. Not an exact copy of any one perticular holster. I used the "free hand" stitching groover from the leather factory and a swivel knife. I learned a couple a things real quick on this project. I think I will dye it first next time around and the incised carving ain't exactly as easy as it looks right off. But....here it is and it is what it is. Just bunkhouse stuff........

Adios and hats off,

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dalton Masterson

Thats a beauty HorsePen!! You know I like that style a lot. I like your easy flowing lines. Keep it up!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

HorsePen Henry

Well Dalton, if ya recall this set of holsters that you made last year....this is what got me started thinkin' about doin' this style of carving. Ya see? It's all yer fault!!!  ;D

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dalton Masterson

Well, I sure aint sorry for that! Good job on those!
I am thinking of doing that to my saddlebags, if I ever get back to them.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That's truly outstanding! I really like it. The cuts are smooth and even. Having fiddled with my freehand groover, I can understand it would be more difficult. The swivel knife cuts really accent the whole design and give it a depth way beyond what the groover would do by itself. I keep going back and looking at it. What a fine piece. A fella can get inspired with that. Thanks for sharing that with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy HP
That is so very cool. I really like it.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy HorsePen

My thoughts echo that of the others, you do beautiful work anyway, I've never seen any work from you I didn't like, this holster is no exception, it is absolutely beautiful, Dalton brought this style to all our attention with the holsters he did, and they were equally beautiful, I really like your decorative knife cuts, I hope to be able to it this well someday myself, the way you used your free hand stitch groover nice and neat and looks like you just drew those line on, but I know it wasn't that easy, WELL DONE FOR SURE Pal.  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Forty Rod

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on March 28, 2009, 11:10:45 AM
Anyway,....here is a new experiment (to me) that I have been woking on. The old timey way of incised carving on the holsters has intrigued me but I have never tried it until now. Here is my first attempt at it. This is a slim jim pattern for a Remington revolver. The design I developed from a couple of old slim jim holsters in Packin' Iron. I took elements of design from the holsters I liked. Not an exact copy of any one perticular holster. I used the "free hand" stitching groover from the leather factory and a swivel knife. I learned a couple a things real quick on this project. I think I will dye it first next time around and the incised carving ain't exactly as easy as it looks right off. But....here it is and it is what it is. Just bunkhouse stuff........

Adios and hats off,

Horse Pen

Very, very nice holster. 

Now, I have a proposition:  how about if I buy some leather and you can experiment on the same design in a pair for my 1860 Armys.  One left, one right, straight drop on both sides.  I'll even pay for the shipping.

;D

You'll get the satisfaction of the experience and the knowledge that I'll tell everyone about your work.You can let me know whenever you stop laughing.  :o

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

HorsePen Henry

Thanks for the kind word fellas. Forty Rod, thanks for the smile as well......
Another thing I learned on this holster is that with my perticular tool...it cut smoother with a bit of moisture in the leather. I just dampened it with a sponge and it cut without any snagging or jumpin'. I guess washboardin' would be another way ta put it. :-\
A whole set of saddle bags and/or cantineas would be fun to make with this style of carving. I have been working on a paper pattern for a set of cantineas for a couple weeks and hope to get started on them as soon as school is out.
Anyway....thanks pards!!!
Hats off to y'all,
Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny Dingus

HorsePen,

Beautiful work.  Is that freehand on a pattern or do you use some french curves to guide you?

Wow! That is mighty fine work.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

santee

Wow, the stitch groover really adds to it. Good call, HorsePen.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

Howdy HP,
The incised carving absolutly Blows my mind :o :o :o. It is so elegent butt, it has a Western Theme to it! I apoligies that my spelling is bad and getting worse ::) The artistic influence that your incised carved holster, has gave me a new demention to there is know end!
This holster, and the holster that TW did the other day, the rig that Johnny McCray displayed, the pair of holsters that Johnny Dingus (a beginner),the great Dodge city holster hat HR. did, the spur straps that RM did, the Work that CowboyWC does, Will Ghormley does, the special native work that CB does, and I could go on and on and on,and no doubt I have left out at least 100 or more like Outrider and DC, all Master Leather craftsman. That each and everyone of you influence me in some way! Most of you guys have been doing this for a while, and then some of you have been doing it for years!
I admire each and everyone of you guys!! :)  for no 2 of you have the same style!
I know that this got long, but I didn't want to answer like everyone else! I wanted to express that this show case is like going into a art gallery!
keep er coming!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Johnny Dingus on March 28, 2009, 04:20:04 PM
HorsePen,

Beautiful work.  Is that freehand on a pattern or do you use some french curves to guide you?

Wow! That is mighty fine work.

Johnny Dingus

Howdy Johnny,
Naw, it's free hand. I imagine a fella could use a french scroll but it would take more time than it is worth to match all of those curves up with the template. Ya might give 'er a try though, and see how it works for ya.
It went a whole lot smoother after I dampened the leather a tad. I would recommend ya try that first instead of a French scroll  template.

Ace, I agree with ya that this is a gallery of fine art in leather work. Can't find a better hearted bunch a guys than these to hang around with. Everybody here is good about sharing tips and tricks with everyone else here.

Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny McCrae

Howdy HP,

Absolutely gorgeous! Very clean and neat! You have a real steady hand there. Many thanks for sharing this with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Horse Pen, THROW IT AWAY ! ! !

PO 878, Sherwood Oregon 97140. I'll even pay COD for the postage to help you out

Seriously, that is beautiful work, very inspiring.

Thanks for taking time to share the pictures, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny Dingus

Well guys here is my second 310-yuma rendition.  Next on to the belt.

Hope you like them.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com