Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayban

Rolling Thunder, after comparing my work with yours I see I still have some work to do, but I'm tickled how this one came out. I was gonna send it off down the road but I think I'll keep it for my own self.
Thanks for the tutorial. 8)

[Lost link deleted by moderator]

Gun Butcher

Rayban, you have nothing to be ashamed of that is a beautiful little knife case in anyones opinion.  You are the master of the frog hide ;)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a mighty fine looking case, Rayban. It has a clean look and the stitching keeps it interesting. That folder will do well in there.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy Rayban
Good lookin sheath. Be proud.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Rayban

Nice looking Sheath Pard, I really like the the bumps you put on your work, it gives the finish a reptile look to it, nice knife too, looks like a case, I have the same knife but with a pale yellow scale, good sharp knives. Thanks for sharing this with us, I always look forward to your post. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Willie Dixon

those bumps look great!  I really like that concept, and it totally looks natural too.  Looks great with the stag hilt too.
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Johnny Dingus

Rayban,

Great looking sheath,  as everyone here can see you having nothing to doubt in your work.

Do you call that look frogskin?

Now all of you are posting pictures like you are professional photographers.
Me I'd have to try and get my cat to lie real quiet and not move to get a picture on fur.  Don't think it would work.

Post more of your work for us to see Rayban.
Thanks

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

cowboy316

Rayban
sweet case ya got there bud looks like ya got it off a big old frog bet hes cold now LOL im gonna try that on one of my cell cases here as soon as i get some more leather but anyway good job RB keep it up
     Cowboy316

JD Alan

Rayban, DUDE! That looks great. I hope you can explain how you did that frogskin, or have the person that taught you share his techniques with us. A most excellent job!

Thanks for sharing your work, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Rayban

Thanks for all ya'llz kind words Gents ;D
You may remember Rolling Thunder posting some pix of the spur straps he did using this "frog skin" texture. I begged him to let me in on his technique, so he sent this link..
http://www.johan-potgieter.com/leatherlearn/?p=14

I ran out to my nearest Tandy store and picked up the three seeder tools I needed' 931,864, and 631 and sat down to give it a try.
It's tedious for sure, but the outcome is kinda cool.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Rayban

Good link Pard, thanks for the information

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

will ghormley

This is kind'a an off-the-wall post of work I'm doin'.  I went on an 1820 Survival Weekend back in February.  I told Dalton Masters I'd post some photos of the weekend.  Some of the highlights:  In a snow storm I walked in a huge horseshoe and ended up a mile south when I was supposed to be a couple miles north.  I singed my beard so bad blowin' on my tinder that I had to shave it off when I got home.  After melting snow to replenish my canteen, I didn't get the cork on tight and dumped it into my blanket before I crawled in.  But, all-in-all, it was an enjoyable and educational weekend.

The following link has some photos of the gear I've made for re-enacting an 1820s Plains/Mountain Man persona.  There ya' go Dalton.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1820sTrekkin.html

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

HorsePen Henry

Looks ta me ya got the hair a the bear in ya fer shur, Will. Thanks fer sharin' the experience with us.
Ya lurn sumthin' ever day if ya live long enuff!!! ;)
Cheers,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy Will
Thank you for sharing that trip.
Not something I think I could do.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will

Great story and pictures Pard, I'm glad you're still with us, that must of been quit a trip. :o ???

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Ace Lungger

Howdy Mr. Will,
Thats sounds like something i might of done when I was young!  ;D And I did do stuff similar to that! You made some real awesome gear for your 1820's treak!
We are all great full that you sharded that with us!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Hey, Will. It sounds like you had a good time. That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I don't know if I'd start fires with my beard, though. That takes a real man. :o

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

will ghormley

Hey Marshal,

It was a good time, and it gives me a lot more respect for what our forefathers went through so we can squander...I mean, enjoy the freedoms we have, ('er, used to have I guess).  As for startin' fires with my beard, it took me a second to decide to slap out the fire rather than stack twigs on it.  It was pretty cold.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Glad to see you made it back in mostly 1 piece, Will! I was telling some folks here what you were planning on, and they thought you were nuts. I didnt. Sounded fun to me, but then I am a furry faced man in the winter. Someday, maybe I will give it a try too.
You didnt have to eat 'yote did ya?
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com