Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

A little late in the welcome, but, WELCOME! Great stuff, Stitch.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

JD Alan

Howdy Stitch, here's another Welcome from a member of the CAS City Leather Shop. I can tell you for certain this is a great group of pards. I've been here about 6 months, a green rookie, and they have treated me very well.

Thanks for the information you've given on leather. That was info I'd not heard before. Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading, a Forum member and fantastic leather worker and knife maker often sings the praises of Wickett & Craig.

I can see why you have the handle "Stitch" from your work, very classy indeed. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing more of your work, and benefitting from your advice and experience. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Stitch

Well thanks everyone for the greetings!
I've looked around a little and there sure is a lot of talent around here, ya'all do great work!
It's great to see so many in the trade here willing share their knowledge.
Our trade is as old as man, and it's our duty to pass on our knowledge to one another to keep it alive and thriving...Kind of a way of "Paying it Forward".
Everyone in this trade eventually develops their own "Style" that becomes unique and recognizable
Often when I see leather work I know who the maker is without even seeing a stamp.
The process I use for finishing my leather works was taught to me 25 years ago by the man who first taught me the art of saddle making. ... It's pretty involved, And many I'm sure will shake their head and think "Your kidding right?" But it has served me well for many years.
I won't go into a long winded explanation of it here so as not to bore the pants off everyone, But anyone out there who's interested feel free to contact me and I'll give you the hole schpeel.
Seeing other Makers work and learning and sharing tricks of the trade has been a life long passion of mine
And I look forward to doing a lot of that around here!

Ifin' ya get to thinkin yourself a might bit important,
Try tellin' some one else's Dog what to do.

Hank Rugerman

Howdy too Stitch...beautiful work.. ;)

thanks for sharing... :)
If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

HorsePen Henry

Welcome Stitch, ya have any pictures of yer saddles ta share with us?
Good day to ya,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy Stitch
Welcome and hope to see more of your work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny Dingus

Stitch,

Welcome,  nice work.  Looked up your site.  Nice products good prices. 
Thanks for joining us hope you will share some of your secrets with us also.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny McCrae

Here is a rig I just finished for myself. Always wanted to make one with a lot of spots. I'm in the process of making a Cartridge Pouch to match it.

This rig will be used as a spare. I just can't resist making another rig for myself using the Natural Walnut Dye I just brewed up.

Sorry for the lousy picture.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Johnny Dingus

Johnny,

Nice Rig!
Looks real nice and even coloring.  I am getting to like spots more and more. 
Give the run down on how long it was in the dye please.

Now if I just had long guns I could make one with lots of spots too. :)

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Johnny D,

Thank you for the kind words. This rig was dyed with Fiebing's Professional Oil Dye. I wiped on a coat, let it dry for a few minutes and then followed up right away with a second coat. After letting the dye dry real good, I put two coats of Neet's Foot Oil on and then finished with Skidmore's.

As i mentioned, I'm going to make another rig using some Natural Walnut Dye that I recently brewed up. Attached is a picture of a rough sample Holster that was soaking in the Walnut Dye for five days. The final finish is Skidmore's again. Ten Wolves was a great help with helping me learn the brewing process.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny  ::) :o 8) ;D

Your new rig is down right evil looking, and I mean that in a good way, I'm a sucker for spots anyway, and the color and design looks great, now if this is a spare, I can't wait to see the main rig your going to be making. WELL DONE PARD  :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

And I see you over there Jonhy Dingus  ;D How ya doing Pard  :)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

Hey Johnny, nice work. I'd like to make something with spots before too long. I really like the color of that Walnut dye. I've got to take a wack at that too.

Mr Dingus, is that HAIR down on your shoulders!?!?! Mine was that long in the mid to late 70's, now I'm lucky to have any at all!
Bless you bro, I like it! JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice rig, Johnny. I like it. Nice contrast with those spots on the dark leather. It's a good look. What kind of walnut hulls did you use to make the dye for the next rig? I have some English walnut dye, but it isn't very dark. I think I'll need to brew up some with the black walnut hulls I have for the next project.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks for the kind words Pards!

Marshall, I used Black Walnut Hulls and they were green when I started brewing them.

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

That rig is a real beaut, Johnny. Sure do like those spots!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

Johhny MAC, AWESOME DUDE!! :o :o
I realy like it, very clean looking and I love those spots!!
Keep it Rocky Johnny! Next Bike trip, you and misses are going to have to swing south! i have the camper stocked and ready to go!
Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny Dingus

Quote from: JD Alan on March 21, 2009, 07:45:11 PM
Mr Dingus, is that HAIR down on your shoulders!?!?! Mine was that long in the mid to late 70's, now I'm lucky to have any at all!
Bless you bro, I like it! JD

Yes JD.  Most people take me for a liberal hippie now.  Specially where I live.  But I am a former Marine and am definetly not liberal.  I grew it out to be more authentic to the way cowboys looked.  At least in my mind.  ;)

Johnny Dingus

Here I am at 3yrs.

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D :D ;) ::) John, you look the part Pard....... 8)

Tw  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Oh I dunno,   :-\  I think he looked more like a cowboy with the marine cut at 3 years old!!!
LOL!!! ;D
Cheers,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com