Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley Desperado

Cowboy 316, you've got those cell phone cases down pat looks real good I really like that color, I'm going to have to try that coffee dye technique on a rig.  I guess if a fella got in a real bind he could just boil his belt or holster and have a cup! yeeeehaaaaa.
Corkscrew, man you've come out of the cute buckin pardner that is some awesome leatherwork.  Those hands are great!!
JD, I like that stool seat that is some good leatherwork, nice job. 
Every time I see the leatherwork on this site it inspires me to want to make something.  Thanks for sharing
Wiley     

Corkscrew Tom

JD
Nice tri corner seat. I made one myself and then tried to come up some way to make 3 folding legs. It didn't work too good. So now its just a fixed 3 legger. Thats when I did the store bought stool and made the cover I recently posted. But its neat to try different things.
Corkscrew Tom

JD Alan

I bought the plans for the stool from BigHouseDaddy.com, which included how to make the tri-bolt.

The first seat I made I screwed to the posts, but they pulled out pretty quick. Now I think I need to modify the poles, make them a little flatter where they go in the pockets, to hopefully make the seat sit a little flatter.

I've put a coat of Neatsfoot on the seat, not sure where I'm going to go with it next. I realize I need to do something with the bottom of the pockets. I didn't realize they were going show as much as they do.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the pics of your chair, JD. Especially showing the tri-bolt. That wouldn't be too hard to make.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

It was pretty easy for my shootin pard Mike. He made the bolts, I made the wooden legs. 3 bolts, 5/16 X 2 inches, set 120 degrees apart, brazed together. A little grinding, and a tri-bolt pops out.   

santee

Interesting. So, JD, it collapses for storage?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,

Your Chair is really slick! You are doing some very nice work. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

JD,
Yer really comin' along fast. Once you made yer mind up that ya could do this you really went at it. The chair and carving and border stampin' is lookin' great and yer photobucket is working too. Keep up the good work.
Dare ya, ;D
Horse pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

JD Alan

Thanks guys, you are very kind.

Santee, the seat slips right off, and it fits on-in the gun cart real easy. Our range is a rock quary, so it's like being on cement all day. It's reall nice to be able to sit for a spell after shooting. I had the last one out all the time, so whoever was keeping score could sit. It's pretty popular.

I've seen them made with thinner leather, so they would be more flexible, but with my carcass weight, I figured the heavier the better  ;D JD

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW JD, your cowboy stool came out great, great idea the try bolts, thanks for sharing all the stages of this project.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Stitch

Howdy ya'all ... I'm new around here, I've been building Gun gear, saddles & tack for over 20 years
I own Mountain Home Leather in Eagar Arizona ... It's great to see all this FINE leather work on display here!
Looking forward to seeing more.
A couple of my Items  ;D

Ifin' ya get to thinkin yourself a might bit important,
Try tellin' some one else's Dog what to do.

Dalton Masterson

Wow, thats good looking stuff!
Welcome to CasCity, and I look forward to more of your posts!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice work, Stitch. I like the top one a lot. It has that Meanea look to it. Nice, balanced rig. Beautiful color. What did you put on it for a finish? The other would do John Wayne justice. They're both fine outfits. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Stitch

Howdy dalton and Marshal Will .... Thanks for the greet.
Both rigs are made from "Wickett & Craig" Oak tanned ( NOT Veg. tanned ) skirting leather,
The top one is a natural Darkened neatsfoot oil hand rubed with saddle soap and Murphy's oil soap.
The "Duke" style rig is the same leather oiled with Boiled clear neatsfoot oil
Thanks for your comments!

Marshal Will Wingam

Ace Lungger

Howdy Stitch,  :)
I am glad you have come and joined Greatest Family on the Net! I have read about the Oak, and Hemlock, tanned leather.
If you don't mind and you have time, would you talk a little about the difference in the 2! If you don't have time, I understand!
Welcome and thanks for sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D ;D Welcome Stitch ;D

It's good to have you jump in with us here at CAS CITY, your rigs are beautiful Pard, you can see your years of experience in the both of them, that Oak Tanned leather is beautiful, I like the tone and shade you got from oiling and using saddle soap, the leather looks real rich and buttery, We're going to look forward to seeing more from you, we  have a great bunch of Pards here that share there talent on a daily basis, so jump in and have fun, Marshal Wingum runs a good forum here.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Stitch

Howdy Ace,
Thanks for the welcome ...I always have time, if not ...I make time.
"Oak" tanning is a term used to describe North American pit tanning processes,
The tanning solutions favored in the U.S. since the early 1800's utilize the bark, nuts and cones
From Oak trees particularly California oak, Red oak and White oak.
These along with varying amounts of Chestnut and American Sumac produce leather that is both
Tough and supple at the same time, it takes on a color anywhere from gold, to russet to an almost Mahogany color depending on the tanning mix, It tools deeply and burnishes to a deep brown.
It has always been the preferred leather of those of us who make western saddles.
It also produces very high quality shearlings.
The "Oak" tanned leather coming out of South America is actually "Veg." or Vegetable Tanned.
The acids used in south America come mainly from  Quebracho Wood , Salt Cedar and various Vegetable matter,  It yields a leather that is tougher, stiffer and has a very light color and when oiled in it's natural state often gives a color much like mud.
That is why many custom saddle and gun leather makers like myself will only use U.S. "Bark" or "Oak" tanned leathers regardless of price.
Hemlock tanning is used mainly in the production of Sole leather and sheep skin as it produces a tight grained light colored leather.
Hemlock is used in some "Veg" tanning but there it also produces a lighter colored leather.
USA Oak tanned leather... Quality in ... Quality out
Hope this was of help.  ::)

cowboy316

Welcome Stitch
very impressive work ive benn doing leather for sometime now but just dont have anything to do other than cell cases and wallets but i would love to make sommething big here soon  but in time it will happen LOL
      Cowboy316

Skeeter Lewis

Beautiful work, Stitch, and a terrific patina on both holsters.

Great website, too.

You mention hand rubbing with neatsfoot oil and soaps. Do you let the neatsfoot oil get bone dry and then apply the soaps? I'm pretty much of a newbie at holster-making and would appreciate info on the sequence you use to get that great effect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com