Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Well, here is project still in the works, another opportunity to do every thing possible wrong! This is a seat for a 3 legged stool. I made another one from thinner leather, covered with hair on cowhide, then screwed to the legs. My 260# butt took care of that pretty quick!

This time I'm using 9/10 veg tan, and pockets for the legs, which I am in the process of sewing on now. I grooved the stitch line, then used a #5 stitch groover, and then used a 4 prong chisel. Bad idea, I find out after the fact. Now I've learned you don't use a stitch groover when using a chisel. Lesson learned.

The circular stamping was done without a lot of planning, and it shows. It was more or less practice. I like the rope stamp, it's a Hidecrafter I bought from Oregon Leather. I decided to use it after I made the groove around the edge, another bad idea. It would have looked better with a thin line to follow.

The oak leaf carving is so so at best. Once again, they are there mostly for practice. I need to find a better way to do the leaf lines. I think it would help if I didn't cut them so deep. I thought I was going to like the background until I finished, then I didn't care for it too much.

I wish I hadn't punched the whole thing, but just the pockets. As it is, it's going to take forever to sew it, as slow as I am. Also, I need to figure out a way to better guage the amount of thread I'm going to need. I pulled about 12 feet, but I don't think that's going to be enough.

Any comments to help me do a better job are greatly appreciated. JD     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

JD
my friend looks good to me love the border what stamps are those looks really good
Cowboy316

Wiley Desperado

JD, I like the belt good basket weave and border stamping.  Don't be so hard on yourself the seat looks darn good my friend stay with it.
Wiley

Justino Caballo

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Justino Caballo

well heck i guess i didnt do the pictures right.
Sorry.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

cowboywc

Howdy JD
I always put a stitch groove even when i'm using a chisel punch.
I just don't care for that look.
As far as how much thread, I start with 3 times the distance for 2 layers of 5/6oz leather.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Hank Rugerman

Here you go pard...let's see if this helps on the links to your pics... ;D

Quote from: Justino Caballo on March 16, 2009, 01:52:09 PM
Howdy Fellers,

Here is my first decent attempt at a holster. Please tell what needs to be done different, or what i need to work on. just shoot me straight. 

If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

Marshal Will Wingam

Jd, that belt is good. I agree with WC that the border is a fine width. Good job on the basket weave. The stool is good, too. I've been tempted to make one some day. When all my other projects are caught up, maybe. ;D On 9-10 oz leather I use 5 times the distance to be sewn. If I want a little left over on the needles for tying the next project, I add a little more.

Nice Dodge City holster, JC. I like the full tooling on it. Good work. Thanks for sharing. Thanks too, to Hank for getting those pics to show. When you post a picture, you can use the iconic link above your text box (bottom row, 2nd over from the left) to set up the commands and paste your url between them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Very nice looking holster JC, very nice indeed. good color and carving.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen

WC, I don't think I communicated very well on that whole stitch thing. I used an adjustable groover to make the line, then an overstitch wheel to mark the placement of the holes. So far so good. Then I atempted to use a chisel to make the holes, and couldn't line them up properly with the pattern the overstitch wheel made.

It was suggested to me that if a person were going to use a chisel, they shouldn't use the overstitch wheel. Just start the chisel, then use the last hole to line up the next wack at it (so to speak) After the first time you would only be making three holes, not four. I know you know how it works, but I thought I out to lay it out for myself.

If you are saying you don't like the look the chisel makes, I agree with you 100%. I tried drilling, using my dremel, and that doesn't very good either, IMO. I didn't want to try sticking an awl through all those marks, since my awl work leaves much to be desired.

Now that I have an awl from Bob Douglas, things are looking up

Thanks to you and Marshall for ideas on the length of thread, I was definitely shorting myself there.

Will, the stool is a lifesaver for me, or a backsaver would be a better description. I had back surgery in 1989 as a result of an accident, and had two discs removed along with a double laminectomy. Standing for long periods can really be painful, so the stool really helps at shoots, and it fits in the gun cart real easy. 

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD.

I agree with with Wiley. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your belt and stool look great! You should be proud of your work.

Howdy Justin,

I would be hard pressed to tell you what to do different. That is a beautiful looking holster especially for one of your first attempts. Just make more and show them to us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

Howdy JD, i think there are great !!
justin, If only miy first holster looked that good, I would be a happy camper!!

Thanks for Sharing !!
ACE

I just want to have fun :o
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Corkscrew Tom

Here are a few pics of some of my latest pieces. One is a "John Wayne" rig with a straight and X draw. The cross draw pictured is for my 1860 army conversion. The grape cluster/vine rig was my first fancy rig to go with my alias. The Ammo box I just completed last month. It has room for (5) 50 count boxes of .45s and (4) 12 ga. shotgun boxes. I'll post some more later.
Corkscrew Tom

Corkscrew Tom

Corkscrew Tom

Wiley Desperado

Very impressive leatherwork there corkscrew, I really like the ammo box, looks like you've been at it awhile.  Thanks for sharing
Wiley 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW Pards  ::) :o 8) ;D

I got busy in the shop, and look at all the nice work that has showed up, JD, nice belt, the basket weave came out nice , and your seat is going to be beautiful. :D

Justino, Nice job on your Dodge City, I like that extra drop you put in , your carving looks great, cool color too  :D

Well it's GOOD to have Hank Rugerman back, and thanks to him for getting Justino's pictures posted.  ;D

Cork Screw, Welcome to the forum Pard, you've made some really nice things, We'll look forward to seeing more of your work, looks like you have been doing this for a while, thanks for sharing with us. :o ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, Corkscrew. You sure have some fine items to share with us. I like the carving on that crossdraw holster. Those leaves really give it a nice look. Your John Wayne rig is nice. I particularly like the clean look. The grape motif is refreshing on the other rig, too. The case is really nice and I like the texture you achieved with the background tool. Very well done. Glad you decided to join us here. You'll fit right in. Welcome.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy JD
My post was confusing because half of it didn't show up.
I put a stitch groove on everything. I don't use an overstitch wheel, they don't match up to a punch.
Overlapping the last tine is the correct way to use it. I don't punch all the way through, just the top layer.
I use an awl the rest of the way so i can hit my stitch line on the back side.
On your oak leaf carving you did a good job but I don't care for the look of the backgrounder all the way around
the design.
Sorry for the missing parts.
WC

Thanks for the comments gentlemen

WC, I don't think I communicated very well on that whole stitch thing. I used an adjustable groover to make the line, then an overstitch wheel to mark the placement of the holes. So far so good. Then I atempted to use a chisel to make the holes, and couldn't line them up properly with the pattern the overstitch wheel made.

It was suggested to me that if a person were going to use a chisel, they shouldn't use the overstitch wheel. Just start the chisel, then use the last hole to line up the next wack at it (so to speak) After the first time you would only be making three holes, not four. I know you know how it works, but I thought I out to lay it out for myself.

If you are saying you don't like the look the chisel makes, I agree with you 100%. I tried drilling, using my dremel, and that doesn't very good either, IMO. I didn't want to try sticking an awl through all those marks, since my awl work leaves much to be desired.

Now that I have an awl from Bob Douglas, things are looking up

Thanks to you and Marshall for ideas on the length of thread, I was definitely shorting myself there.

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Corkscrew,

It looks like you have been very busy turning out some beautiful work. We look forward to seeing more. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your work with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

Really unique holsters. Nice tooling.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com