Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

here is the finished project all assembled and laced with some close up of the tooling but they arent very good
   Cowboy316

cowboywc

Howdy Cowboy
Very nice job on the wallet. Good carving.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboy316

hey guys these pics are one of many cell cases ive got sold already LOL Ill have my new ASB brand swivel knife before i know it
and by the way tandy has the 129 dollar knife on sale this month WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO  for 80 buck
Cowboy316

JD Alan

Very nice work. It looks like you got spot setting down pat!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Good looking wallet, pard. I like the black lacing with that tone of brown. Cool cell holder, too. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny Dingus

Quote from: cowboy316 on March 04, 2009, 04:32:12 PM
here is the finished project all assembled and laced with some close up of the tooling but they arent very good
   Cowboy316

Well cowboy,  I think most of us that have looked at it think this is a fine piece of work and you should be very proud of it. 
You just got to get used to the idea that you will be your own worst critic.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ace Lungger

Well Cowboy316, if you don't think your carving is any good, then I am not even going to try!! I figured if I got started carving I might be that good in about 3-4 years, but if your carving isn't up to standard or above, I am not goig to even try!!

I think your carving is AWESOME!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboy316

hey guys
i have found a few laws in the wallet but mainly i was clear bout what wasanst very good LOL
i was talking bout the pics cuz im using my cell phone to take and post all my pics sorry for the
miss undderstanding LOL
      Cowboy316

Forty Rod

You fellas are better leather craftsmen than you are photographers.  Some right fine work there in the leather department.

I'd be as happy as a puppy with two peters if I could do either leather work OR photography.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

JD Alan

Well, here we go, my first holsters and belt. Needless to say, it didn't come out like I'd hoped for, but then who get's the very first one nailed? It was a learning experience, all the way around.

I'm thinking the dyeing-finishing process is the most difficult thing at this point. Even though it's pretty messy, the experience was great. I know a whole lot of things I won't do next time, and there will be a next time! 

I probably rushed it a little, because I want to use them tomorrow.   

Thanks so much to everyone who shared their thoiughts and experiences with me. Every one of them was valuable.

God bless,JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D ;D   Well done Pard, you got nice color, and it looks great, you can be proud of yourself  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dr. Bob

JD,

I gotta agree with Ten W., GREAT job.  Ya kin be proud of them. ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,

You have done a great job!

Tomorrow when someone asks where you got your rig, you can proudly answer "I made it myself".
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

ChuckBurrows

JD you did a fine job and I'm betting you're not the only one who finds dying/finishing the hard part (for me it;s teh fun art - most of the time - there are days!  >:(

QuoteNeedless to say, it didn't come out like I'd hoped for, but then who get's the very first one nailed? It was a learning experience, all the way around.
Got a chuckle out of this I'm on my mumbldey mumbledy thousandth one and I'm still scratching my head when I'll nail it.....Got a friend that's been crafting leather since 1947 and has built over 12,000 knifesheaths alone and still reckons he's learning......... ;D
As one of my early teachers once told me - "son it will take you 6 months to a year to learn the basics for just about anything, but it will take you the rest of your life to master all the tricks of the trade and the day you think you have is the time to go take a look in the mirror!""
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

cowboy316

very snazzy rig ya built there JD id be pleased if my first rig came out like that and everyone is right its a learning process all the time ya never get to where ya kniw it all  but anyway I love the look and the finish turned out i like that color on that style rig
    Keep up the good work  my friend
         Cowboy316

ChuckBurrows

Here's my latest - been doing a few more "conventional" cowboy rigs recently...
Its' a SW style single loop holster and money belt with conchos, all in a "rusty" brown (which doesn't show up all that well in these pics) - it's the color some of the old black dyed leather would turn after a few years out in the weather, in particular the hemlock tanned gear........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dr. Bob

Chuck,

That's one mighty fine looking rig!!  ;D  ;D  I really like the "rusty" black colour!!  I have some very early Doctors saddle bags that are just that colour!!  Thanks for sharing the rig and the colour!!  Kinda like the Brit. spelling there! ::) :o 8)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Skeeter Lewis

JD, congratulations. We've all been rooting for you. I'm really happy it turned out so well. Guy, the tension was getting to me.

Chuck - beautiful.

A technical point, Chuck: does leather shrink a little when dip-dyed? I made two identical holsters and dip-dyed only one. It seemed a tad smaller to me.

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Chuck,

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing your talents and expertise with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com