Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the before and after pics, Chuck. The end result has way more depth to it. Nice improvement to the original finish. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

Howdy Mr Chuck,
:o :o :o AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!! I flat love the look!! the first finish was just to brite for a period Holster like that!!
And if you think about it, In the cowboy Days, people didn't look at your belt as much ,as  they looked at what the gun was in!! :o 8)
By redyeing you give it the Chuck Burrows look, it also toned down the spots! I like the belt also :) i think it is very classy, with a simple spanish flare!
I apoligies for I am at a lost for the proper words, other than it is Classic Chuck Burrows!

I wished it would warm up, for when you display peice like that, it makes me what to go put what little brain I have to work!
Thank you for sharing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

Very beautiful CB!! Your work does inspire me. I use some of it as wallpaper on my computer sometimes for a change.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Willie Dixon

marshall's right Chuck, great job and nice revamp on it... takes it to a whole extra level.. not that I could compete with the first level anyways.

any chance you have a scrap of that leather so we could see what color it was before the dying process?  also do you use a smooth side and then the texture just shows up after the dying process or is it more like a suede beforehand?
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Irish Dave

Very distinctive and different. Very nice as always, Chuck. And your finish work is superb.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

cowboy316

Ok pard you all probablly been wondering what the big seceret project is
Well this last sunday i took a carving class at my nearest tandy shop and the
guy that did the class come to find out is the one that does all the tandy
catalog covers   ;D  and the project was a simple wallet with the buffalo head
from the catalog with the same design floral pattern with it  ive got it to the
point where i cant hold out any longer got to show it to some one LOL so other
the tan coat and putting it all together here it is enjoy ;D

OH OH OH OH  by the way did i forget to mention that this was my fist attempt
at figure carving LOL
  Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks great, CB. Good, consistent tooling. Smooth curves.  Nice work. You have reason to be proud of that one. Thanks for sharing it with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Cowboy, AWESOME! man AWESOME! You ought to be very proud of that effort.

Thanks for sharing your work, most excellent, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny Dingus

Cowboy,

Wow!  Beautiful.....work.
Now you can teach us how.

Thanks for posting picture.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

cowboy316

thank you Marshal and JD i was excited bout how it was gonna turn out after i had it carved i didnt
wanna do any more to it LOL but as the day progressed the more and more i liked it  ;D and to be honest
i think and one that has a chance to meet  and take one of Jim Linnell i highly recommend it he is a real down
to eather guy and more than willing to help with the smallest little thing and his classes are a ball
    Cowboy316

Dr. Bob

WOW!!  ;D  That is one FINE carving job!  Looks like you have talent there!  Keep it up! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Willie Dixon on March 02, 2009, 02:55:37 AM
marshall's right Chuck, great job and nice revamp on it... takes it to a whole extra level.. not that I could compete with the first level anyways.
any chance you have a scrap of that leather so we could see what color it was before the dying process?  also do you use a smooth side and then the texture just shows up after the dying process or is it more like a suede beforehand?

Willie - I'll try and get to this later today........

cowboy 316 - you did one fine job! IMO figure carving is some of the most difficult tooling there, especially to get the critters to look real ! Two big thumbs up!!!! ;D
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: cowboy316 on March 03, 2009, 11:06:47 PM
Ok pard you all probablly been wondering what the big seceret project is
Well this last sunday i took a carving class at my nearest tandy shop and the
guy that did the class come to find out is the one that does all the tandy
catalog covers   ;D  and the project was a simple wallet with the buffalo head
from the catalog with the same design floral pattern with it  ive got it to the
point where i cant hold out any longer got to show it to some one LOL so other
the tan coat and putting it all together here it is enjoy ;D

OH OH OH OH  by the way did i forget to mention that this was my fist attempt
at figure carving LOL
  Cowboy316

Howdy Cowboy

" WOW " what a beautiful job you did, and your first carving/tooling ta boot, your a natural for sure, you keep this up and you will be up there with the top guns in no time Pard, heck it looks like your there now.  ;D keep up this great work, and I can see why you're so proud of this. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Pokey Packrat

Cowboy, great carving job! Sure wish I had the patience and the eye to carve like that, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Pokey
S.A.S.S. #64027     Wolverine Rangers # 563   Cowboy Fast Draw #1377   R.A.T.S. # 464    N.R.A. Member  Vietnam Veteran

cowboy316

TW
ive been tooling and carving leather since i was nine or ten years old i had just never done any of the animal carving like the buffalo head thats on the wallet but during the class i felt like it was my first time cuz some one actually was teaching me what to
do and was showing us as we went alongso ya you could say it was my first time LOL
   but no fellas ive enjoyed it here and you guys are just full of great ideas cant wait till i can get to some bigger and better stuff
Thanks for all the kind words
       Cowboy316

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Cowboy,

Beautiful work! I'll bet you can't wait to make a Holster with the techniques you have learned. You have inspired me to take a class in carving. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Cowboy, I've taken three classes from Tandy in carving. One was the traditional flower & stem that's been around for ever. The second was an oak leaf sun glasses holster. The third was a flask with lots of swivel knife cuts. Neither the flower or the leaf came out anywhere close to yours in quality. I had better luck with the swivel kinfe cuts. 

Chan Geer is headed our way again this year, around October, for a three day class. This time I will be there!

Keep on Cuttin! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ace Lungger

Cowboy316  :o :o,
AWESOME, I love it!! Get job!!!
Thanks for sharing, the buffalo looks so good!!
Kept sharing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Cowboy
You did a great job.
Jim is a very good instructor.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post