Previous topic - Next topic

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Willie Dixon

nice!  you could put that on yer belt and no-one would ever notice what was in it!
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Johnny McCrae

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

I didn't know cows could use cell phones, not having opposable thumbs ::)

Nice work Cowboy, that's the first hair on case I've seen. It's always nice to make something unique, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny Dingus

Real nice Cowboy,

Looks like it will keep your cell phone warm too. :D

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

cowboy316

Johnny
it should stay warm in there
im also in the process of making a bunch more to sell
in the hair on and regular leather 
    Cowboy316

Wiley Desperado

You might be on to something there Cowboy.  Good work I like it thanks for sharing. 

ChuckBurrows

Lots of nice and original work recently - sorry I don't offers kudos more often, but recently I don't her much until the wee hours of the morn and by then my brain and fingers   ;D are on hold.......

I go this one done - a a bit different - the gent like the looks of one of my late 18th/early 19th century belts and decided he wanted something different in a gunbelt to go with the 1880's Mex loop holster I built for him a few years ago - double D buckles like this were used up through the 1830's and the tooling pattern is 18th/early 19th period, so I wasn't sure how the mix would "fit", but after adding some ctg loops and a few well placed spots I like it despite the anachronisms..........anyway here 'tis

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

HorsePen Henry

Howdy Chuck,
I like it. In fact, I am working on something similar but with brass spots. I'll show ya when I get it done. The early buckle doesn't bother me none. Nice incised geometric design accented with the spots on the belt too. How wide of a belt is that?
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Skeeter Lewis

Wow, Chuck.....

BTW, did you find those #13 rivets you were looking for? Those look like 14s.

Marshal Deadwood

ChuckBurrows

Don - it's 3" with a 1 1/2" buckle

Skeeter - I did find someone who carries #13's, but haven't ordered any yet - means I'd have to also order one of Bob Douglas's setting tool sets and that's a bit pricey right now (bill due and all that) - these are #12's which I've been using mostly except of exact replica stuff

Mike - thankee! check out the two post of the PH Posse I just made......

5 hours sleep in two days and still going strong - LOL! maybe I should quit drinking my coffee dye!  Last batch ate my stirring spoon.... ;)  ;D  ;)

aka Nolan Sackett

JD Alan

Thanks for sharing another inspiring work of functional art Chuck. I know you don't post for the "glory" here, but I sure do like lookin at your work. I've got to get my Packing Iron back from a friend and do some more studying on how things looked back yonder, as my grandmother would say. JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Chuck,

Another work of art from your workshop! Many thanks for sharing.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Willie Dixon

wow Chuck, yet another beautiful piece of art!

as a man I looked up to once said:
"we all have our canvas, some paper... some metal... some oil, mine just happens to be all of the above."  Boyd Coddington
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

santee

Just terrific. Do you use an oblong punch to create the space to thread the bullet loops through?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny Dingus

Beautiful work Chuck,

The coffee stain looks like it has black highlights,  could you tell us how you do that?

To me it looks like it has a Spanish influence.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Chuck, ::) :o 8)

AWESOME looking rig Pard, it's easy to spot your work anywhere, your the only one I know of with this style, the detail and time you put into your work is really something, Thanks for sharing your work/ love with us Pal. ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks great, Chuck. The buckle works nicely with the design. As a match for the holster, the color is right and the spots pull it all together. Well done, thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

ChuckBurrows

Thanks and glad ya'll enjoyed the looksee

Santee - yes I use 1" bag punch and then cut the strip to a heavy 1" - when I set my strip gauge I set it just to the right of the line...

Johnny - The coffee stain looks like it has black highlights,  could you tell us how you do that? - it wasn't a simple coffe stain, but a combo effort - I applied the coffee heavily, allowed to half dry and then used a mix of walnut and vinegaroon (about 70% walnut and 30% vinegaroon, but that's just a guesstimate - Like my Grandma's cooking I'm a pinch of this and a dollop of that kind of guy.
I let the walnut/vinegarron set for just a bit, maybe two or three minutes and then wiped it off. Then I let the whole thing air dry to about half dry and added a coat of my home made dubbin - EVOO and lard mixed about 35/65. Wiped off the extra and let dry completely. Then I aged by applying a well rubbed in aot of Neatlac (hate the smell!) and then bending, etc to get some wrinkles and a bit of surface crackelure. Added a coat of Mt Pitchblend rubbed in well.......that's the best I can remember - I yeah also set it in the sun....the finish alone took about a week of fussing around and reworking until I got the look I wanted..
BTW - I've got pretty good handle on what happens when I mix and match, but still get "surprised" by the outcome - sometimes good and sometimes not so good (my garbage bin is full of those!) so it's best to experiment on a piece of the same leather you're using for the finished piece.......different hides react differently as does different batches of dyes, both commercial and homemade - use a piece big enough to get the whole effect

I also re-did the finish on the holster - here's how it started out.

and after.....

QuoteI know you don't post for the "glory" here, but I sure do like lookin at your work.
JD - thanks for understanding, as my main "reasont" in posting is to perhaps offer inspiration to others as others who have come before have inspired me and in the way others, including the "new guys",  still continue to do........

aka Nolan Sackett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com