Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks for the kind words. I would not have been able to do any of this without the inspiration, encouragement and help from everyone here on this forum!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Hey Johnny, VERY nice work. Every about it is great. I especially like the color.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

santee

Spot on there, Johnny! Man, is that color rich. Practice holster? Waddya kiddin'? :D
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

JD Alan

Morning Johnny. I only had time for a quick comment last night. I agree with Santee, practice holster? You must mean it's the holster you'll practice shooting with!

It does not appear that you lined this one, is that correct? What weight leather did you use?

Like Will said, the Rosette you made really looks great.

Did you wet mold it? If so, before or after you dyed it?

I just glued a filler strip in a test holster last night. I'm not stamping it, just trying to find the right size-shape for my Rugers. I will wet mold, and dye it to get some color & finish experience.

Thanks for sharing your work, JD     

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,

This holster is fully lined. It is made from two pieces of 5 oz. leather cut from the same hide. The pieces are laminated together with Barge Cement. I wet molded this holster after cutting, stamping, dyeing and sewing it. The pistol is wrapped with Saran Wrap. The Holster is immersed in warm water for ten minutes. I leave the pistol in the Holster for around an hour and then it let it dry thoroughly before doing the final finishing. There are probably some better methods for wet molding but this seems to give me pretty good results.

I call this is a practice Holster in the sense that I'm still experimenting and learning different techniques. I need to make a new rig for myself for the upcoming season and I'm still a bit unsure on exactly what I want. I'm leaning towards Slim Jim's again because of the ease in holstering them. I'm also thinking of a cartridge case instead of bullet loops. That way I can use it for various calibers.

I gotta' tell ya..... all of this planning and thinking about the next project is a lot of fun for me. In addition to the tremendous satisfaction in building one's own gear, you can make something that is exactly what you want.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Thanks for all this info Johnny. It didn't look like you stitched across the top, which is what I usually see when people line their holsters. So, one of two things is going on. Either I can't see the stitching, or, you didn't stitch all of it, but relied on the glue. Either one is OK by me, I'm just trying to learn here!

I just reread the Wet Molding thread, and it's interesting to see the variation of practices concerning water and how long people put their holsters in it. You would be at the high end, with ten minutes, whereas some guys are talking about 10 seconds!

I also went out to the shop and looked ay my holster. It's still too wide across the top. I want the trigger guard to rest on the back edge, but I've not accomplished that yet. I'm using real cheap belly leather to mock these things up, and I can use the practice cutting, so it's not a waste. 

I'm taking my wife to the beach for a couple of days after church, so I won't be working on anything until maybe Tuesday
evening. Sort of a Valentine's Day-Early Anniversary deal. 32 years, where does the time go?

Thanks agan Johnny for sharing your time and experience. JD

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Rayban

I slapped the handles on this made-by-one -of-my -buddies blades...big ole honker, 12 1/4" O'all...I made the sheath.....

[Lost links deleted by moderator]

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, RB. Clean and crisp. That's a good color for it. The knife is nice, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

Rayban,

I'll second the Marshal!  Looks real good!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

::) :o 8) Howdy RayBan

Beautiful Knife sheath Pard, nice clean and professional look to it, I like the color and the high lights, looks like a keeper  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

RayBan, that is a very professional looking sheath it compliments the knife perfectly.  Johnnie if that is practice you are going to knock our eyes out when you get the final product.
Hey, JD, congrats on the 32 years, she must be a pretty special lady.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

santee

Mighty fine edges on that sheath, too.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RayBan,

Beautiful job on your sheath! Very clean looking with excellent workmanship! I like the design of the tip.

The knife handle looks great. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Rayban

Thanks for the kind words...I wish it were a keeper but actually it's a donation to another forum. A build-off contest of sorts, the winner does not win squat, and all the knives are put up to raffle and the proceeds go to the forum.
Like a puppy dog tho, I've become rather attached to this one, and I plan to make one for my own self. ;D

Ace Lungger

Rayban,
I'll have to agree with the gang, AWESOME nice style clean net, and good color!
Thanks for shareing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I normaly don't post up here, and this is a re post! I am posting my Latest project, The Should Holster I made for a man in Colorado! He emailed me to day to tell me home much he loved the rig, He said he couldn't believe the color match , he said it was perfect, he also couldn't believe how well it fit the gun, his words were it fits like a glove! I have all of you to thank for this feeling   You all took me in, and helped me in any way I asked, and I thank you for that!!
I was a nervous wreck because I had never done a natural oil finish, and to match a 10 year old rig! My Mentor, TW settled me down and walked me threw it! I have meet so many good people on here, and some have become very good friends. And one thing I have allways said was you never can have enough good friends!
So I am kinda tooting my own horn here, but it would never been possable without you folks!
And I Thank You!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, you earned the toot, pard. That does look good. Thanks for sharing that with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Way to go Ace!! It really does look good!!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com