Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckBurrows

As the man once said "No Problemo!"
also check this out.........there's a lot more to getting that aged look than color...been "aging" leather for about 40 years now and I'm still learning.......and FWIW - I know some folks who use manure as part of their aging....... :-X
A suggestion - go to gun shows and second hand stores ans such and look at leather that's a few years old and well used, study it and try to imitate it........that way you'll get stuff that looks like it's been used in the last few years, but in the style of back when - rather than stiuff that's 150 years old, which has a 150 year old patina - that's the way I approach it anyway...........
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/aging-leather-zurl.jpg

Dr Bob - the gent getting those cuffs is an NCOWS member so watch for them the next couple of bigger to dos. Hint - He also packs one of my knives and beaded sheaths..........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

RollingThunder

Thanks for the heads up there on that article! Printed it out for later.

Dunno if maybe that should go someplace in The Leather Shop collection Marshal? Waddya think?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good idea, RT. I think we have a thread somewhere on aging leather. I'll see if I can find it and we can add that link to it. Then we can include that thread.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

CB,
The arm cuffs are AWESOME, very gracefull layout, every stamp, every spot, the lacing, is to perfection! I don't realy have any thing else I can say, for I havn't seen anything you have done, that is displeasing, and your style is all your own. I find that the hardest part of the leather work is designing a pattern of stamps , spot, ect., that fits. and your allways does.
Great work!
I thank you for sharing, for every piece you do, inspires me to try harder!
Wiley Desperado  those are some nice clean pieces you have made, and I thank you for sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Chuck,
You are very generous. Many thanks for sharing your talents and techniques with us. Just watched your Holster DVD again for the umpteenth time. I always learn something new.

Wiley,
Somewhere I read that "He who exalts himself shall be humbled and He who humbles himself shall be exalted". Well I think you need to be exalted. You did a beautiful job on your friend's 1911 Rig. He will be very proud to wear it. Look forward to seeing your future projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

David Carrico

Here's a picture of my latest Slim Jim from Will Ghormley's 49er Holster Pack.
http://www.carricoleather.com/oldwestleather/moreholsters.html

RollingThunder

Very nice work David! That's a slick bit of tooling to be sure!

JD Alan

Let me echo the other compliments on the workmanship. The more I do this, the more I appreciate the outstanding work of others. Both the carving and the coloring are awesome.

Thanks for sharing the picture, it's a great inspiration, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really beautiful, David. I really like that floral pattern. It has just the right amount of texture for that holster. Great color. What kind of finish did you put on it? It has a gloss without being too much. Thanks for sharing. :D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice work Pard  ;D

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Wiley Desperado

Thanks all for the kind comments on the 1911 rig very much appreciated.  The great work displayed on this site gives a fella motivation and something to strive for, ya'll set the bar high.   

Holy smokes!! David that is a beautiful holster.  The craftsmanship is outstanding. The stiching, border stamping, great floral carving, the coloring, truely impressive, if that is going to a customer they will be mighty happy with it. Thanks for sharing pard.     

David Carrico

Thanks for the comments guys! That was the first one made with that pattern, I hope the next one will be a little better. I just oiled it with neatsfoot oil, went over it with Fiebings dark brown antique finish, to make the background and cuts stand out, and then a coat of Neat Lac. It came out a little darker than usual with just the neatfoot oil, not sure how that happened. It wasn't for an order, just something I've been wanting to make. When I'm not making saddles and holsters for a living, on my weekends I like to make.....saddles and holsters!
Thanks for looking!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: David Carrico on January 07, 2009, 08:16:39 AMWhen I'm not making saddles and holsters for a living, on my weekends I like to make.....saddles and holsters!
A true addict. ;D

Thanks for the finish info.

HorsePen Henry

That turned out real nice, David. I really like the color of it and thanks for the recipe. I have some mahogany that I will try on the one I am making and show ya how it turns out. The Neatsfoot oil turned yours a nice rich color, in my opinion.
Thanks for showing it,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

RollingThunder

Well, everyone, I finally went and done it. I got a maker's mark (thanks to all of you on here who gave me the needed push).

I got it done over at PhillipsEngraving.com

This image is on a set of Slobber Straps I am working on. I was gonna wait until it was done and oiled and stained, but I figure'd to heck with it, you guys won't mind.

BTW ... the tooth-space between the stamps was indeed on purpose. I did it once as an accident, and just repeated it, and sorta liked it, because with that stamp, it didn't flatten the smaller dots in the stamp on the edges.

Marshal Will Wingam

That really looks great, Rt. Thanks for showing it to us. Be sure to post it on our Maker's Stamp thread: What does Your Maker Stamp Look Like?

RollingThunder

Thanks Marshal ... already beat ya there. Hehehee!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

::) :o 8) ;D WOW, Like Will said nice stamp  ;D

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

RollingThunder

Been in advertising and marketing on the design and creative side of things for a little over 20 years. LOL. It was a fun stamp to design, but then, I tend to second-guess stuff I do for myself a lot less than the work I do for other folks. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com