Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Looks, Like i have been slipping and not keeping up on the posting1
TW, Those are some outstanding knife sheaths, very thought out, and everything seems to compliment each other and the color and the 2 tone look gives the a very elegant stle, They AWESOME! thanks for sharing!
JD, i wished I could carve like that! good job!!
HP. that is a great looking rig,, you allways come up the cleanest lines that flow toghter, that is something most of you guys have, like TW and you, and I could name a 100 more. But that is were I lack! :-[
I started a rig back in the last of Sept. and then it turn of cold, had life complications, and then other factors, if it would just get to 60 degrees and stay there for a few days, maybe I could get a little relief and get it done!
Sorry about slipping behind, Keep up the good work!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Wiley Desperado

JD your craftmanship is darn good on that holster any time your work looks that good without any color you are on the right track pard.  That is a great design for a Ruger holster.  Your carving is good also stay at it. 

JD Alan

Thanks, Wiley, I really appreciate your comments, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

RollingThunder

OK. Here's the update of the finished cuff. Got the buckles all done up too. Got the other cuff to do (it's laid out), then all the oiling, forming, perhaps some dye, and then a finish. I'm figuring on two large leather conchos, an antique brass two slot metal concho and then calling it done. These suckers are HEAVY leather, too. LOL.

Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Gun Butcher

JD, keep it up pard. Your stuff is lookin really good. And the more you do the better it will get because you care about your work.  All of use are our own worst critics. I just got back into leather work after a very long dry spell and that was caused by never thinking my stuff was good enough. Show your work and be proud of it.
  Rolling Thunder, you work is also very good. And welcome to the forum.  I have been out of touch for awhile and it is always good to see new items on here. I always see new ideas and different ways to do things and it tends to kick the thought processes into high gear. 
           You pards keep up the good work.
                                                           Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy RT

I've gotten so I really look forward to ( show your stuff ) again beautiful work pard, your tooling and stamping look to me to be perfect, my hats off to you on your design, I really like what you have done, and by adding the spots it will really add a nice touch , can't wait to see the finished cuffs. ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

RT, that is some amazing stamping. Downright complicated, but in a good way. The basket stamping really looks great, and whatever you've done on the lines looks really cool too. Nice work all the way around.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Rt,

JD, TW & GB hit the nail on the head. You certainly do beautiful work. Many thanks for sharing this with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

RT, I agree that your stamping is really good. You've produced a nicely lacy impression with your use of the stamps. Just enough without overdoing it. Good use of spots, too. I also am looking forward to the finished cuffs.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

RollingThunder

Here's a good question for you guys that perhaps you can help me out with. When you lay in your spots, do you lay them in before or after your oiling/dying/finishing or after? I usually lay them in before if I'm dying the piece, especially with an antique application, because it fills in the area around the spot and makes them look like there's been a build up of "stuff" there.

But what do you guys prefer to do? I'm learning this all as I go along, so it's pretty much catch what knowledge from where I can catch it, and when I can catch it.

And I dunno about perfect spot placement or stamping either. Get a good look at that last image, where you see the corner spot wasn't quite all the way up to the corner. That's a flat-out brain fart there. LOL. The stamping is a bit off in it's spacing there as well, but I think it's hidden well by the pattern, lol.

At least I had enough common sense to not put spots where the buckle and billet will go at the wrist. LOL.

HorsePen Henry

Shhhhhh, don't ever point out yer mistakes, RT. Nobody woooda ever noticed. I sure didn't. That's some great bunkhouse quality stuff right there. Keep up the good work.
I put my spots in whenever the urge strikes me. Before the dye, sometimes after the dye. :-\

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

JD Alan

Bunkhouse. Bunkhouse. Bunkhouse. I need to get that concept firmly in my brain. This perfection stuff has got to go~!!!

HorsePen Henry

;D ;D Now yer gittin' it, JD.  ;D ;D

Have a party,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

RollingThunder

Well, there's a difference between  perfect and "wow, that spot is about a quarter inch off." lol.

But, then again, I'm just thinking "upscale bunkhouse." LOL. You know, the kind with an attached two-holer?

Wiley Desperado

RT you did it again pard those are good looking cuffs can't wait to see both of them all finished.  Thanks for sharing

panhead pete

Howdy R.T.,

I put the spots on after finishing.  I never tried placing them first.  I am curious if some of the alcohol based dyes will affect the finish. Were they antique spots you used?  I just bought some and was thinking about using them on a pair of oiled cuffs. It was clever the way you finished the edge of the basket weave field.  I bought a second basket weave stamp and grinded half away so I could get the weave in closer to the edge.   Here's a picture of mt latest rig for a customer.

Happy Trails,

Panhead Pete 

RollingThunder

The spots were antiqued Pete. I use the eco-flo stuff from Tandy, although my saddler used to make dyes and paints for a company and he thinks it's funny how they market the water-based stuff as being eco-friendly. Perhaps more eco-friendly than oil-based, but he says not as much as one might think.

I wanted those original cuffs to look like there was grime built-up around the edges of the cuffs and in there where the spots met the leather, so I added the ridiculous number of finishes in there so they would resemble that, after I did the spots.

So on these new ones, I am going for a really bunkhouse look, and will only use wax, and see what I get with 3-4 applications. I sorta like the whole antiqued/used look.

Now, as for your rig you showed there, WOW. Classic looks there. Nicely done spots, they really set off the design. And the color you got on that piece of leather is pretty nice too. Love those rich reds coming through there. Very nicely done!

RollingThunder

Probably a pretty silly question, but how do you buckle that billet in, Pete? It doesn't look like there are buckle holes, so is there some other form of securing going on? Got me corn-fuzzled there, and now I gots ta know what the mystery is!

Spill it pard!

JD Alan

Very nice looking work Pete.

R.T. VERY sharp observation. I missed the lack of holes completely..

Well, maybe regular observation by you, and VERY dull observation by me  ::)

panhead pete

Howdy Pards,

Thank you for the kind comments.  I had just finished the belt and wanted to send a photo.  It was taken before I punched the holes.  Good eye Amigo!!  Those cuffs are exquisite, R.T., nicely finished!!

Happy New Year,

Panhead Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com