Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley Desperado

Good night nurse those are beautiful Ten Wolves, the design is great and the workmanship and coloring are outstanding.  Thanks for sharing pard! 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D Thanks Johnny & Wily, for your kind words I appreciate it, this was a fun project for me.  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

OK, here's a couple of things I've been messing with. The two oak leaf carvings side by side were just for practice, and to try some staining. I used Tandy's Eco-FLo Gel Antique. The tan looks more yellow orange, and the mahogany has a strong purple tint. Frankly I wouldn't use either one on a holster or belt. It's only redeeming quality is ease of use.

I've not decided what to do with this holster yet. Even though I have several Will G & Jim Simmons pattersn, I used my Vaquero and made my own pattern. I think I want to do a little more, either stamping, some lines, or even a little carving, but not sure what to do yet. I haven't decided if I'm going to line this or not. Probably not, because I think it will be too tight.

I'm not at all happy with the stamping, but a guy has to start somewhere! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

RollingThunder

Padre, I have no idea what you're talking about. That carving looks better than the crap mine turns out to be most of the time, and your stamping looks perdy even from where I sit. If that's for a Mexican Loop, I would put a smaller two-slot concho above and below, backed by a leather one and tied in with a bloodknot, then on the loop I'd do the same thing with a larger matching concho, and put two larger spots on the right and left of it. The important thing here is that you've set yourself up with a good amount of negative space in your design, which helps to show off the quality of the leather you're working with and allows the color to stand out nicely, which is similar to what I was going for in the area at the top of those cuffs where there were only spots and those Morgan Dollar coins.

I think you definitely are on the right track here. Very tastefully crafted work here! Can't wait to see more.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, JD. I think you did fine on that stamping. The only thing I might suggest is to crowd those stamps together so they touch if you want a slightly different look. That border looks clean just the way it is, though. I like it. Now put your maker's stamp on it and sew it up. :D

The tooling of the oak leaves is good, too. Keep at it. You're doing really well. It's all a matter of practice. Remember, no one I know is ever totally satisfied with their work. There's always something that they'd improve on although no one would ever notice what it was. Just keep going and making those little improvements. Good job, pard.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Justino Caballo

DANG JD!

:D :D :D
you are way too hard on yourself. I am new to this as well and to hear you talk you'd think you are terrible.
far from it my friend, far from it. ;)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

JD Alan

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. It's not a double loop, I'm not a real fan of those. I know they are more period correct, but I'm aiming for a more conventional look.

Will thanks for the comment on the stamping. That's the kind of stuff I need to hear. Same with you RT. I have thought about conchos, but didn't want to try too much at first. I don't know what a blood knot is, and the way my spot setting is, I need more practice before putting them on something I want to keep.

Once again, thanks for the comments, JD   

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,

Justino is right. You are way too hard on yourself. That looks like real good workmanship on your holster and a nice, neat job of stamping.

I have yet to learn how to carve. If my first attempts at carving look as good as yours, I'd be be very happy.

Many thanks for sharing this with us. We look forward to seeing the finished product.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Thanks Johnny, that means a lot coming from you. Both you and Will have been a big help, answering my many questions. JD

HorsePen Henry

JD, here are some holsters with a bleed knot in the middle of the leather concho. I know you have seen them but maybe didn't know they was called bleed knots. You see them on saddles and such. :D

You do nice work JD. I have to agree with the rest that you are much to tuff on yerself. The mark of a true artist, I reckon!!!
Keep up the good work,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Irish Dave

Damn nice work all around, pards. Be proud.

10W: Sheaths are very attractive. My favorite is the darker one (middle sheath in the top photo) but they're all first-class. Good job.

JD: Gotta agree with Horsepen, Will and others...

Horsepen: Really like the rig. Color, stamping, balance and lines are outstanding for my taste.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

HorsePen Henry

Thankee kindly Dave!!! I am drinkin' a cup a coffee to yer health right this minute. Hope to meet ya in March.
Cheers,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Horse Pen,

Wow! That is one gorgeous rig!

Many thanks for sharing your talents with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Thanks H Pen, I appreciate the feedback. I have seen that knot, but didn't know it by name. That sure is a fine looking rig. I'm fidning the basket stamp is real challenging to keep straight, as is the meander stamp. No sub for practice!

Sorry for being nosey, but is there a meeting of leather guys somehwere? If it's a person meeting, then please accept my apologies for buttin in. JD  

HorsePen Henry

You ain't bein' nosey. It ain't no secret neither. In March there is going to be a NCOWS whing ding in Kansas City. Check out the NCOWS Forum on this site and look for the announcement by Grizzer Bear. It's gonna be good boys. Saddle up!!!

Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

JD Alan

Thanks for the info H Pen.

Here's one more piece in progress, a flask wrap. It's a project I began at the local Tandy store class. I have no need of a flask, but it was the project of the day!

I used my new (to me) Henley swivel knife I bought from E-Bay. I'm finding the swivel knife to be the easiest part of the process. My beveling is too choppy, so I don't want to finish this until I can move my tools a little smoother.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello HorsePen  :o ;D

Awesome Pard, what a beautiful rig, this is the style I like,your stamping and tooling is spot on , and I really like the color, the bleed knot, sets the concho off very  nicely, I just joined NCOWS , and if that Kansas meeting wasn't so far away, I would be there, it would be nice to meet you all.

Irish Dave , thanks for the kind words on my knife sheaths Pard.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for illustrating the bleed knot, X-pen. That's another great rig. I really like the leather conchos on it. With that shade of brown, they look very balanced and graceful. I appreciate your posting that pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
Great job. You make me proud.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

knucklehead

JD,

that holster looks great. you may want to stamp your initials in the front center area or just leave it the way it is.

i personally would color it and sew it up, use it for awhile. then go back to the drawing board to adjust what you dont like about the holster if there is any adjustments to be made.

your oak leaves look better than the first ones i did you are doing great.

as far as the beveling goes you can always keep going back over the area to smooth it out with the beveler.
the beveled spots that you are going to background do not have to be as smooth as the spots that you are not backgrounding.
because the background tool will clean up all the unsmooth spots when you start backgrounding.

on some of the stuff i carve i will background the width(the long side of the tool) of the background stamp around all of the outside of my carving.
then i will use a matting stamp to fade the backgrounding into the rest of the non toolled leather.
i do this to help my carving be more defined and it helps me to clean up spots that i dont like.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com