Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Dave

Thanks guys, you're very kind.
And coming from this talented bunch, it's even more meaningful.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Pards,
Sorry I havn't been on much! Lot's of things that i didn't need to bother you all with! I will try to catch up! Dave, very pecissice and elangant design on your spurs starps, very perfection at it best! Great color, flowing design work with the perfert stamping and the nice conohs.
very nice stitch work on your holster, also very complimentory stamping! But I exept no less from you.
Keep the form rolling, for I havn't been working on anything! have a complete rig all cut, one holstered stamped, 1/3 of the belt stamped, the other holster cut out, just havn't felt like sitting down and working on it, and also trying to get my R.R.B. 45-70 finished!

Dave thanks for sharing for all of us to see!
It won't be long before TW will be kicking it in high gear, and doing some stuff, he is getting stronger everyday, and i know he is ready to get to making something.
It takes you Pros, showning us rookies the awesome work you do, and then giving all of us help and couarge to jump and try something new.
Keep it coming guys!
Devoted but slow, Rookie!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

RollingThunder

Irish Dave. Dadgum you! I think I'm doing a good piece of work and then you go and post that. You dratted confoundigan you!

And yes that's a word. I done wrote it in my Funk and Wagnall's myself!  ;D

Anyway, I thought I'd finally get brave enough and show some of my playing around on here.

Hope ya'll find it interesting, and be gentle, I'm not particularly perfect yet, but gettin' closer by hairs every day!

Be gentle now ... heheheh.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Dr. Bob

RT,

That's mighty fine looking work!!  Ya don't need to worry about posting good looking leather like that!! ;D  I really like the roping cuffs!!  Primo!! ;D  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

RollingThunder

Thanks very much Dr. Bob. Anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like Gene Hackman?

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

RollingThunder

Thanks Santee. I dunno about nice. But there's a lot of Stamping in there. I'm not really good at carving (still working on it), so I'm sorta left with stamping as my only real strength when I want to do something that's a little fancier. So on those cuffs, I wanted to do something that would resemble lace. When I first did it, I absolutely hated it, but just kept building on it, and it kinda turned out OK.

The finish was a long time coming. I alternated a light coating of EVOO, a light coating of Carnauba Creme, a light coating of Pure Neatsfoot Oil, a light coating of EVOO, a light coating of Carnauba Creme, a light coating of Pure Neatsfoot Oil, a light coating of EVOO, a light coating of Carnauba Creme, a light coating of Pure Neatsfoot Oil ... well you get the idea. Then I stained them with antique brown transparent stain, then hit them with a coat of Super Shene, then a light coating of Carnauba Wax, then a light coat of Super Shene, then a light coat of Carnauba Creme.

All to see if I could get that built-up look of leather that's been rode hard, put up wet, and rode hard some more.

Dunno if I succeeded, but I sure learned something along the way.

And that would be that there would have to be a lot easier way to achieve that end.  ::)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D  RT beautiful work Pard  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Great stuff, RT. You don't need "gentle". Your work is first rate. All the straps and the cuffs are very nice work. Each one had a little something I liked better than on the others. I really would be hard pressed to tell which one I liked better. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Rolling Thunder,

Well if that's "playing around" I'd sure like to see what you can do when you get down to business!

Seriously, those are beautiful designs and excellent workmanship! We look forward to seeing more of your work. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

RollingThunder

Thanks much pards, I appreciate the encouragement ... I still have lots to learn, as like I said, tooling and carving is a real weak point for me. But I'm practicing as much as I can. Keeps me out from in front of the computer, which makes the War Department happy here on the homefront.

I'm probably gonna have to be real frugal as to how I go about affording this hobby, though. Just got hit with a pay freeze and a pay cut before Christmas. But hey, I still have a job. For that I am grateful. Just gotta figure out a way to make up what got cut.

I hear circus clowns are in demand ...  ;D

JD Alan

Let me echo Johhny's comment: If that's playing around, I can't wait to see your serious stuff! I especially like the "Frog Skin" look on those spur straps, but everything is outstanding. I've been practicing stamping and spot setting, and I see I still have a long ways to go before posting anything here. Thanks for sharing your inspiring work, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

RollingThunder

Hey JD ... if I can post here, anyone can post here! Throw up some pitchers, pard!

HorsePen Henry

Yep JD. Go ahead and post them pictures of yer stuff on here. None of us can laugh at yers without first laughing at our own. ;D
Real nice billfold, Marshall. Lucky Seven,eh? I can't remember which set my folks got me started on. It had all kinds a projects in it though. After that Dad would come home with a side at a time or sometimes a shoulder but he kept me in carving/tooling leather for quite a spell. Fond memories came back with that billfold ya made.

Thanks for showing us,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy RT
Yu got nothin to hang your head about around here. Your work is very good. I really like the
straps and cuffs.
Keep up the good work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

I split the posts on making tools off so we wouldn't hijack this thread.

You can find it here

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Wiley Desperado

Man, that is great looking leather crafting there Rolling Thunder!! Very impressive.  If you were playing around you won't ever have to get real serious about it.  Thanks for sharing when is your next lesson? Sign me up.

RollingThunder

Gorsh Wiley! Ya'll are gonna make me blush!

Actually, the next lesson I'll be involved in is over at the tool making post, learning how to recycle old bolts to make my own custom tools. LOL. And Marshall Will is the professor. :D

RollingThunder

Alright fellas ... so here is a question for you. Do you think it would be a bit uppity of me as a newby leatherworker to have a maker's mark?

Here's what I designed. The design around the edges sorta represents the stamping that I do better with than tooling.

Thoughts? I'd sure appreciate any advice.

Dalton Masterson

Looks like a fine stamp to me! I think if you are making something and are proud of it, heck yeah, put your stamp on it! You going to Grayghost graphics for the stamp?

I have made a few I want to take my stamp off of, but they never leave the house, lol ;)
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com