Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Thanks Marshall Will, you are the reason mine are long. I was paying attention to your other posts about Butt covers. The recoil on the 92, even tho it's a 44 mag, was never to bad, now with the butt pad it ain't even there.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

outrider

Johnny,

I just found a used EMF Hartford  saddle ring carbine at the shoot yesterday.  it's about 98% with the exception of two dings in the stock near the butt (what Marshal was talkijng about with the pistol hammers) this is an extremely clean gun...and the cost was just where I wanted it at $300.00...It feels as though the action has been honed...at least a spring kit...so I won't have to do this one.

My main rifle is a 14 year old Rossi 24" rifle with the half octogon barrel...they were not made for long.  I have never had a mechanical failure with this gun..the only time I had problems is when it got dirty in the magazine tube.

GB  here is some pictures of my butt stock covers...All of my rifles and shotguns have this cover with my initials.  Have sold several varients of this cover
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Outrider,

That's a pretty nifty looking Butt Cover you've made there. As with all of your work... Excellent workmanship!

Thanks for your input on the 1892's. Sounds like you got a real good buy on the Carbine.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Gun Butcher

Dern, I always seem to be in the wrong place for one of them deals Outrider. You made a fine catch on that carbine,and like Johnnie said your workmanship is always top drawer. I really like the tooled circles with the silver inital.   GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

:)Outrider my Old Pal, that is just mighty fine looking butt cover :) Won't be long before I will be trying another one for my Rolling Block, i finialy got feeling good enough to go fit the but stock! Now comes the hard part, working out the shape! I got a lot of looking and thinking, I pretty well got the shape in mind, but I want to make sure.

Outrider thanks for sharing with us!
later Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, Outrider. The basketweave with the silver concho is striking. Good job. 8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Outrider, Ditto to the other comments, especially Will's, with the intital work. Those appear to be the best fitting stock covers I've ever seen. I'm still messin around tryin to fit my first one, and yours is an inspiration. Thanks for the pics, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

JD,

I made the templates for the covers by taping paper to the stock...making sure everything was square and lined up...then made heavier templates once I was happy with the fit....also if you sew the end piece on you have to make allowences for the seam...I usually give each piece about 1/8 " added material to account for the seam.

Most stocks are not as unifrom as they appear...case in point is the Winchester carbine stock which has a slight dip at the rear most part near the top of the stock.  You are dealing with several angles...
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider  :D
         Beautiful stock covers, you make yours the same way I do, I use the brown utility paper that comes in large rolls , you can get at building centers, once I've made my pattern and I'm happy with it, I make a better template out of poster paper, I think the thickness is just right for transfers to my leather. Doing it this way makes easy work of making any pattern, and when your done you have a pattern template you can use over and over again, CowboyWC thought me this and it works great.Thats a nice touch with the medallion, with the concho, it gives it Character.

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

outrider

Thanks Ten Wolves.

One thing I have found is that the stocks on Marlins are not always the same...I made a pattern for a 94 CB then when I went to make one for another gun...guess what  it didn't fit...so watch the Marlins...I have made patterns for most all the SASS guns  including the Sharps rifles, 85 Hi-Walls, and even the T-Bolts...and have not had any problems with fitting numerous stocks with the original patterns.  When someone asks me to make a cover for a Marlin, I always ask for the gun so that I can make sure it will fit.  Also, be aware of the rifles with the recoil pads on them...patterns have to be a little larger.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Wouldn't you know I have a Marlin! 1894 Cowboy Limited in 38/357, 20" octogon barrell. I bought it before talking to any of my (now) local pards. I bought it new in May, and it just made it's second return trip to Marlin. Hopefully they can make it cycle right this time. I know some people don't have Marlin problems, I'm just not one of them. When I get it back I'll take a stab at a butt cover, following your guidelines.

Many thanks, JD

outrider

JD,

Sorry to hear you have had problems with the Marlin...unusual I think.  I have a 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt, and also a 336 Cowboy in 38-55.  Both are fine rifles...never had a problem with them.   When the 1894 Cowboy Limited first came out I started saving my money for one....then I went to a regional shoot in WV and low and behold they had a drawing for one for $5.00...I won it... :o ;D ;D

SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Well Outrider, that's the way to acquire a rifle!

When I first started looking for firearms, I did a lot of reading. I have to say Captain Geore Baylor's writings influenced me quite a bit. Once I bought the Marlin, then I started to hear about problems from other shooters. I met several guys who started out with Marlins, then moved on to Uberti 66's or 73s'

It seems, from my limited experience the Marlin problem is mostly limited to the 38/357. The other calibers don't seem to have the same cycling problems.

I've read on the SASS net that many guys have Marlins in 38/357 and never have any problems, and I'm glad to hear that. We have a couple of guys who have them here in Oregon, and haven't had a bit of trouble either. We also have a half dozen who've had nothing but trouble.

I do appreciate all the great info I'm receiving here, thanks a lot!   JD

outrider

JD,

As you know the difference between the 66's / 73's and the Winchester 92's and Marlins is that the 66 and 73 have elevator type carriers and put the cartridge in a direct line with the chamber.  The 92's and Marlins use a carrier ramp which feed the cartridges at an angle.  These timeless designs were not intended for the type of cycling that we put them through.  So sometimes you run into a cycling problem with the ramp type carriers....although I must admit that my main battle rifle is a 92 and I can really pump that thing with no problems.  Again, because of it's smaller diameter the 38/357 also have to contend with lateral movement within the carrier area.  If the cartiridge is perfectly lined up laterally you have a problem.  IMO
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

You've described the situation very well. The first time I sent it back to Marlin they replaced the carrier. It worked out for a while, but not great. I've had other, way more experienced shooters use it as well, in case I was the problem, but it messes up with them too, usually right off the bat. We've tried different bullet shapes, and it does with 38's or 357's. After a couple hundred rounds, it's back to it's original tricks. Even a slow levering produces a problem. The cartridge won't go in like it should.

Marlin's had it about three weeks now. It took a month the first time, so I've probably got a little wait yet. One friend with the same type of rifle sent his back to Marlin five times before it finally started cycling correctly. SInce that time he bought a 73. The Marlen was traded to a gunsmith pard who has it working pretty good as his back up. He shots a Uberti Yellow Boy in 38, what a slick shooter.

A good friend who's currently not shooting loaned me his Uberti 73 while my Marlin is away. It is really nice. I've used it in three matches, and it's been flawless.

Thanks again.     

outrider

JD,  When your rifle jams..what part of the cartridge is hanging up  is it the bullet itself or the case?  Alot of the .38/.357 rifles only like certain ammo.  I have found on the 92's that if the .38 is loaded to an overall length of 1.550 it cycles fine.  shorter than that you start running into problems.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, pards. Remember to keep on track with this thread. Stay with the butt covers. ;D You may want to switch to pm's for this discussion. Thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy JD
I'm getting ready to make a butt cover for mine, I just have to design a tooling pattern for it.
WC
P.S.
Mine jams also and has from day one.
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Sorry Will, I started this mess, so I'll move it to the PM line. Thanks, JD

outrider

Howdy Pards,

First of all I hope each and every one of you and your families had a good Thanksgiving.  Christmas is just around the corner.  Every year my shooting club.."Ocoee Rangers" has a Christmas shoot followed by a little get together at a local restaurant.  We have yearly awards for best shooters in each respective class and also door prizes.  I usually donate a door prize and this year I made up a set of arm cuffs with the "Ocoee Ranger" brand.  With the exception of the "D" our brand is similar to that used in Red River.  Since, the Ocoee River is but a few miles away.

Anyway here is some pics of the cuff's
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com