Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Those are really clean, Don. What an elegant border. Fine work, thanks for sharing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Rayban

Don, I love that border stamping on your spur straps...I don't think Tandy carries that tool, right?

Yes, I cut out a block of wood to use to mold my pouch....next time I have to remember to rub something on it to atract it easier! I hear parafin works (Al Stohlman trick), so gotta git me some. 8)

Irish Dave

Very nice, Don. Super clean and PC looking.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

JD Alan

Thanks for sharing Don. The Detail and finish are outstanding. I would be interested in what you did to obtain that color and quality of finish. Dog gone impressive! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Don101

thanks all, the push beader i made myself and the roller is from Mcmillan, the color is fibings saddle tan and fibings medium brown oil dye mix 2-1, Don

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Don

Beautiful work Don, your tooling looks great, it has that classy look to it, I also like the color, thanks for letting us take a look  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Real nice set a dove wings, Don. That's my favorite style a spur straps too.

Retracting blocks from leather items: Try making your blocks in two or three pieces instead of one. Make it one and then cut the middle piece to angle bigger at the top. Semi-wedge shaped like the old hat blocks. After the leather is dry and tight on the block just pull the center section out and yer done. The other two pieces on either side of center will just fall out.
I hope this works for ya,
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy Don
Those are good lookin spur straps.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Rayban

Marshal Will Wingam

That makes a good rig, Rayban. I really like the tonal variations in the finish. The whole thing has a richness to it and all the pieces work nicely together. Thanks for sharing.

Rayban

Thanks Marshall....but I have to admit, that tonal variation is by accident but it's fine with me.....gives it an earthy look... ::)
My pet peeve of the year is that when Tandy sold Pro Dye dyes, I didn't get that....now I'm using Feibings and I get it no matter what color I use....cept for USMC black....
And if I try to smooth out the variations by applying another hit of dye, the color gets darker, way off what it is supposed to be.
In other words.....Feibings TAN is no where close to what Pro Dye TAN used to be......but yet I understand Feibings made Pro Dye...
totally confused here......think I'll just shut up and live with it.... 8)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Beautiful rig Rayban, , you also did a nice job on the meander stamp on the belt and the color looks great, like MW said, your extras match your rig real well. ::) :o 8)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Don & Rayban,

That is some mighty fine work you Pards have posted. Excellent workmanship and design! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I just finished this 2 3/4" wide belt for a fellow shooter.  I am not sure I care for the color.  It is a mixture of Fiebings Cherry Stain and neatsfoot oil.  I put on two applications of the cherry then did three coats of EVOO, then sealed it with Tan Kote.  The buckle is one of Will Ghormleys latest clip corner in White Bronze.  Maybe it is just me  I really don't care for that much reddish color.  By the way he will most probably wear this belt with his Scottish Kilt outfit.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

looks good to me Outrider, the color is different but I think it looks nice, sometimes it just takes getting used to, you did a really neat job of this belt, just as you do with all your work.

santee

Wonderful, rich color, Rayban. Outrider, that color is great, and really shows off the buckle nicely.

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

:)Don, Real elegant border work on those spurs straps!
Outrider I like the belt, I love the Buckle, I think you are right, to much Red in there for me.
thanks for sharing guys!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice belt, Outrider. That buckle really looks good on it. Although the color is fine, I'd think another coat of dye would make it look a little richer. Can you pop the buckle off and dunk it? Even more important, what does the guy who is getting it think? He may like it just like it is.

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: outrider on November 02, 2008, 10:23:52 AM
Howdy Pards,

I just finished this 2 3/4" wide belt for a fellow shooter.  I am not sure I care for the color.  It is a mixture of Fiebings Cherry Stain and neatsfoot oil.  I put on two applications of the cherry then did three coats of EVOO, then sealed it with Tan Kote.  The buckle is one of Will Ghormleys latest clip corner in White Bronze.  Maybe it is just me  I really don't care for that much reddish color.  By the way he will most probably wear this belt with his Scottish Kilt outfit.

What colors are in the pleads? The red may work out just fine.
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

kid sheleen

I agree with HP.  The red may make the plaid in his kilt show off better. or vice-versa.  I like it.  And the buckle's nice too. :D

Nice work Don and Rayban.  Can't say anything hasn't already been said. :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com