Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

Hail yayuh!  Thanks a bunch.  Got it saved now (If I can rememeber what I named it.  :o ) and thanks to you both.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I have finally finished a set of Will Ghormley's Single Strap Saddle Bags.  I changed them a little in that I added a piece of calf "hair on" to the main flaps.  I found this nice piece of "brindle" colored calf skin and really liked the coloring of it.  Anyway. I would appeiciate it if you pards could critique these bags so that I may do better on the next set.  Give me some opinions here fellows
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

By the way these are finished just in time for the gun show tomorrow.  Here are the other two photos
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

Outrider, those look great! The only thing I see wrong is that there is 1 hair out of place on the calf skin. Actually I dont see even that. It looks good.
I just cut out the same pattern, but havent tooled anythng on it yet. I can sure appreciate what youve done to that. Looks great. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

Thanks Dalton.  The one thing I noticed was the edge of the flap looks loike there is no hair there.  The hair is there but I think I will have to put some NO More Tangles on it and brush it down.  On the next pair I think I will modify the design making the rear pouch and the cross over piece one...and make the front cover a sew on.  This way I can insert a center section of the crossover piece if necessary.  We will see
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

knucklehead

WOWezers :o :o :o :o

Nice set of bags you have made.

one thing i would look at  mabey put some hair on hide on the strap(the one coming from the top).
may even try a different color of hair on hide for the strap.

thats the only thing that i would look at doing a little different.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ace Lungger

:) Outrider,
Even though I am a newbe to this art form> I do know good craftmanship from average to poor! I would rate your bags as Triple A being the highest there is! They are so uniform it unbeilable, the calf skin gives a delitefull contrast effect, and i must be honest, if you would of just used leather instead of the calf shin they would of looked great, but they would not caught your eye as those do :o :o I think they are just classy, and I like the unusal border design, for that was the secong thing that caught my eye!

KNow you must remember I am a rookie!

But if I had a good back and a horse, I would be pround to buy them, but they are allmost to prudy to use :) :)

Great Job Outrider, and thanks for sharing!!!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

outrider

Knuclehead.  I see what you mean..I did consider placing the upper strap through two slots behind the hair on piece...next time I will hide that upper strap.  Thanks for the input...always looking for better ways of doing a job.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Those are really nice, Outrider. I like the hair on for the flap. The stamped pattern is just the right amount for the whole thing to look balanced without overdoing it. The only thing I could possibly suggest is a slightly darker color on them so the brindle is a closer match. That is just personal preference, mind you, not good or bad. They are very well carried out. I love the stitching close to the edge like you did. It really makes a clean look. Yep, You can do those again. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy Outrider
That is a damn fine job.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: outrider on August 29, 2008, 01:46:18 PM
Thanks Dalton.  The one thing I noticed was the edge of the flap looks loike there is no hair there.  The hair is there but I think I will have to put some NO More Tangles on it and brush it down.  On the next pair I think I will modify the design making the rear pouch and the cross over piece one...and make the front cover a sew on.  This way I can insert a center section of the crossover piece if necessary.  We will see

That's a good idea if you have a piece a leather big enough. It appears that there are many of us building saddle bags at this point. Thanks for showing us yours, Outrider.

Good stuff,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Gun Butcher

Well here I go again.  I am going to call this one my working rig. Not as fancy as the first one but I think I like it better because of that.
               You Pards out there need to chime in and let me know if I am doing anything even a little wrong. I don't want to develop any bad habits ( or at least not new ones ) that might bite me later. Lord knows I have enough of those already.  Let me know what you think
              Lessons learned 1. Old leather does not dye like new leather.
                                    2. See no. 1 ::)
                                                                    Gun Butcher

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dr. Bob

GB,

Looks great to me!  Nice clean lines and the stamping looks very uniform.  Be proud of this rig!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Gun Butcher

Thankee Doc, you are a gentleman and a scholar and a damn fine judge of horse flesh as they say.   GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

Lookin' good. That border is really simple and effective. Well done.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

:)GB,
Very nice looking rig, very clean lines, I realy like them,
Thanks for sharning
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

santee

Outrider, nice work! I wonder what it would look like with a British tan...
Did it take you a long time?

Gun Butcher, that's a terrific rig. Neat border.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny Dingus

Gun Butcher,

Coloring looks great don't understand dye comment.

Holsters look real nice with the matching belt!

Outrider the saddle bags look real nice,  but I agree I would need them a little darker.  Now if I could do as good of work I know I would not be so critical.  I would be happy with them even if they were a yellow color.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Gun Butcher

Johnny, Tthe dye comment was because you are looking at the second belt. I tried to use one that has been stuck ina box for about 20 yrs and i could not get it to match the holsters. Don't know what the problem was but I won't try that again ???
                                       Gun Butcher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com