Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

I also got a couple pairs a straps done. Here they are.

The ones on top are from Will's pattern pack with a little difference in the tackin'.

The bottom pair I engineered from the Texas Ranger picture on ppg. 95 of "Cowboys & the trappings of the old west" book.

Have a party, ;)

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dalton Masterson

Very nice Horse Pen!!! You gonna go to Hill City in October and shoot? I am heading there this sunday, and hopefully in Oct. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW, Horse Pen these items are Beautiful and Awesome, I really like the way everything looks , and I especially like the way you did your spots , and the way you mixed brass with nickle, I like this look, I've been planning on doing the same thing myself, your rig looks like something a well dressed trapper or scout might have worn in the day, the color and tone of the leather is beautiful, with the light and darker shades, what did you use to get the color? it really looks rich and it has depth, I've admired all along how you do you stamping, everything is so perfect and lined up right. Did you make the knife sheath too, and how about the brass tip on it, I thought I was looking at one of Chuck Burrows projects, Thats about as big a compliment as I can give you on this , and you deserve it. ::) :o 8) :D

Horse Pen Thanks for sharing Pard  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

Horse Pen,

TW said it all.......

It looks fantastic!!!  Your color, the perfect stamping.  Just Beautiful.

And how about the knife sheath tip?

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

HorsePen Henry

I appreciate all the kind remarks fellas. I do admire Chuck's work and I have been coached by him a whole lot. He is like a big brother to me. I do things differently of course because we come from different angles to get the same end. I used Dalton's idea on the buffing back the leather after dyeing. I use green scotch-brite pads though. I then over dye with Hi-Liter to deepen the red. The base dye is a good baptizin' in Feibing's med. Brown and left to dry over night. Then buffit and Hi-Liter it. then burnish and EVOO and wax. I like to use boot wax and/or beeswax. Boot wax comes in all colors and gives a different look depending on which color is applied.

The knife work? Naw, I didn't make it. A buddy made the knife and sheath. I just did the finish to match the rig. Another buddy made me the pouch about 3 years ago and I spotted it up to match the rig and aged it up some as described above.

Dalton, school has started and I ain't sure about when and where we'll meet up but we will. I am looking forward to it.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Those look like great chaps, David. How cool to have original patterns to work from. I like the contrasting belt to offset the lighter color. Nice work.

Great rig, X-pen. I like the simple design to go with the simple lines of the pistols. Nice tie-in with the spots on the belt and pouch. those spur straps work nicely with the geometric pattern. I can't tell how the black ones fasten. I guess you have a hidden flap on the back or something. I like'em.

Great work, pards. Thanks for sharing the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: David Carrico on August 07, 2008, 02:47:02 PM
I just finished a pair of step-ins for a show I'm working on about cattle drives. They will be used in a scene where cowboys come to town to buy new duds. These are made from original patterns and dies from F.A. Meanea Company that I acquired earlier this year.

Howdy David :D

Will I guess I missed your chaps, don't know how that happened , but it did , your chaps are beautiful, it must be neat to step back in time, when reproducing F.A. Meanea Co. products, I know it would be for me , let us know what picture these chaps will be in , and when it will be shown, you do nice work Pard, Thanks for sharing with us.

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Marshall Will, those black (dark chocalate) straps with the spots don't have the keyholes punched in 'em yet. I'll fix that situation when I get my old timey boots.

David, those chaps are real nice. I like the cut of 'em. Thanks for showing 'em off to us. Keep the pix comin' and keep up the good work.

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Don101

Nice chaps its a shame the pic is so small,
HPHenry what does one say i love the rig and straps very nice quality work, Don

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

David Carrico

Thank you for the kind words on the chaps. For some reason, that is the largest picture I can figure out how to post on this forum. I have put a couple thumbnail pics on my website for a better view. Thanks!
http://www.carricoleather.com/mcclellansaddles/meaneacompany.html

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on August 07, 2008, 11:26:02 PMMarshall Will, those black (dark chocalate) straps with the spots don't have the keyholes punched in 'em yet.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Thanks for the link, David. Those detail photos really help to see how great the chaps really are. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

HorsePen Henry

Yes sir, they look like the ones in his old catalog. Lot a fringe cuttin' a goin' on. Whew!!!

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

ChuckBurrows

Nice chaps David! - here's a pic of an original pair by Meanea that look like that same pattern that I figured you might enjoy. The pic is a copy of a B & W photocopy si it's not the best image - it's from "Cowboy Culture: The Last Frontier of American Antiques"

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

David Carrico

That's neat! Thanks for sharing Chuck!
DC

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I finally have finished the prototype of the belt slide for the .45 auto mags.  I see some areas that have to be cleaned up for the next one but overall it's not too bad.  One of my shooting pards will try it out the next time they have a Wild Bunch side match.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider

Nice work on making the pouches, they all look nice and even , a pard could go to war with this setup, Well done  8) ;D

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Outrider,
That is a nice looking holder for you 45 acp mags!!! What oz leather did you use? Looks like you had a grreat deal of fplding envolved to make them look so awesome! I havn't started a rig for my 45's, because I don't excatly know what type i what to make! This is a first year for being able to get a consealed weapons permit. So I am on hold!
Great Job, They are AWESOME!
Thanks for sharing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

Here's a pair of Cheyeene Holsters I just finished, they're for my Ruger NM Vaquero's, the finish is Natural Walnut Dye, Lexol, EVOO, and Skidmores Leather Cream.

When I did the border stamping I used a Little bit of all you pards, and you know who you are, when you take a look see, Thanks for the ideas Gents. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

Irish Dave

Very nice job 10W.

Definitely a good lookin' rig there pard.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com