Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Thank you both for the kind words. Now I just need to lay it down on some leather and see if the old skills are still there. hope it's like riding a bicycle ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

GB,
  AWESOME looking design :o I am going to copy it, although i can't carve ??? ??? Maybe someday I will learn! I have been invited over to one of the Pards hear that carves, but it never seems to work out so I can get there! With the gas prices I don't know how anyone goes anywhere >:( >:( >:( It seems like no matter where you go, it cost $50.00 to drive there and back!

Thanks so much for sharing :)
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny Dingus

Well guys,  here is another holster from the newest beginer here.  After using my Dodge city renditions last weekend at my local shoot a pard said he had trouble with his holsters so I decided to build a new one for him and if he likes it I'll build another.  He is tall but has a stick body so he needs his belt up high and his pistols lower.  I put in a 3 " drop on this holster I hope it fits him.

Next I need to get some walnut shells and cook some brown stain up.  But for now here is my brown.

Johnny Dingus

And one with out the gun.

Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

HorsePen Henry

Nothing wrong with that color Johnny. It gives it a old used look with the wrinkles and all. I betchya he'll like it fine. Keep on a keepin' on and don't quit, ya hear? ;)

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny Dingus

your holster looks good , like HP said the color is fine, looks real antique, and the burnished edges give it a nice finished look, you're doing real well in your holster making pard , keep up the good work, and keep them coming. ;) ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

Thanks HP and tEN W.  I think it would have less wrinkles if I cut the slots a little bigger.  I might even make a set for me.  It's fun making these holsters and trying them out.  And I even like the single weight at 9-10oz.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Johnny D,

Thats a great job. I'm sure your friend will be proud to wear it. I like the color and design. It has a nice antique look.

Look forward to seeing your next projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Hey, JD, that looks good. I like the color. I've worked hard to achieve the same look. If you make looser slots, be sure to bulge the holster slightly between them so it doesn't pull up out of them when you draw the pistol. alternately, you could put tie-downs on them. I wear crossed belts and tie-downs are a must so I don't cause a belt to drop when I draw. Nothing worse than wearing your rig around your ankles.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

I like it, too!! :D That is a color of brown I have been trying to get (without all the red in it).
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

:) JD,
Great job Pard!! Looks like a quick draw holster and I also like the color!! Great job keep it up! Us rookies can't give up I have several in the works, just waiting on the dye to get to the right color!
Thanks for sharing
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny Dingus

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  I think I am going to be my worst critic. 

But do have a question for you that are a whole lot more knowlageable.  Any way spelling is wrong but to those of you with more experience this question is for you. 

I started with what was 9 -10 oz leather kept it single ply and now it looks more like 6-7 oz after I am finished.  Now I used some elmers white glue mixed with my water when wet moulding so it is stiff and holds its shape,  but does the finished size shrink after working and casing and moulding?

It is light also.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

only use water when wet molding your holster, after you have it the way you want it take your gun out after a few minutes, and either hang it or place it where it won't be disturbed, let it dry thoroughly, and it will be as stif as you could want it , then you can condition with Lexol and finish it the way you want ( oil or  Tan Kote or what what ever you like )...

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ChuckBurrows

these are all boxed up and ready to go.......

A early 1870's narrow (1.5") cartridge belt - the buckle is an original from that period.......

A circa 1860's beaded sheath...

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

ChuckBurrows

Quotedoes the finished size shrink after working and casing and moulding
It does to a degree dependent on how "fluffy/dense" the original leather was - the dyes, etc. will dry it up some what - this is not necessarily a bad thing - most 1800's leather is generally thinner than what we consider proper to use today.....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

kid sheleen

:o
Nice work Chuck!!  I Love that beading!  I'd like to learn how to do that.  Any books you can recommend?
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Ace Lungger

CB,
As allways one word AWESOME :) Love that color, I am working on it, I have 2 batches done, and getting ready to start the #3, realy should be #4, but a bud from Florida wanted some concenterate so I boilded down the #3 batch to a 1/2  pint, I have used those nuts and hulls 3 times, I am going to scrap off the hulls masked them to death in the hose and the squezze ing's I am going to mix with the 1/2 pint, and then I am going to run that threw a paint strainer and put a little alcohol and shipped it to him, that should give him enough to make a nice batch!
CB, if you think that is wrong please let me know what you would do diff,
Thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

Well, while my wife was away on a trip to see her Grandpa in Cody, Wy, I decided to make her a new set of holsters for her opentops. It was my first attempt at carving a full pattern on a set of holsters, and I feel pretty proud of these here critters. I wanted to put on a nice vintage style concho, but dont have any that suited my taste, so went with some old vintage spots I have.
Looking at it a little later, its almost a shame to have put the round loops on it as they cover up the carving too much. Oh well, next time.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Dalton Masterson

Heres a few more shots.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton  ;D ;D

Will I new as soon as you gave leather carving a try that you would ACE IT, and you have, your holsters are beautiful pard , for a first time out carving , WOW, you did well , everything looks professional , the color , the finish, and all the nice burnished edges, I like your choice of border stampings it really adds the special touch, so what's for next week, if I ever get this shoulder fixed up I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do. ??? :o 8)

tEN wOLVES 

HorsePen Henry

Dalton, I like what ya did with the mule foot stamps. The carving is super.

Chuck, thanks for showing some more of your work. I see what you were trying to tell me about that beadwork design on the knife sheath. Beautiful stuff.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com