Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roosterman

Dang am I happy I own those! ;D Now if I can just do the waiting part....
I blew the fake ivory grips off one of those armies today, gonna have to put another set of grips on them before I can fill those holsters!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

::) :o 8) Horse Pen

Nice work pard , your stamping is perfect, your friend is really going to be proud to wear this. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Horse Pen,

Another beautiful rig from your workshop! Great job of stamping!

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

:o Blew the grips off? What kinda loads ya puttin' in those .44's? LOL!!! :D

Watch yer knoggin'! The Pony Express will be throwin' a box yer way.

Thanks for the warm reception of the twins, fellas,  and wear 'em in good health Roosterman!

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Roosterman

Hey , I'm already a dashingly handsome old cowboy, but these holsters ought to put me over the top. I imagine there's going to be alot of problems with all the cowgirls flocking around me while I'm trying to do some serious shootin' with this new rig on. ;D Maybe I'l look so good nobody will notice I'm dead ass last......As I've always said, It's not how good you shoot, it's how good you look while you're doing it! ;)
Thanks for your fine work Pard, I'm allready cooking up a set in my mind for my navy conversions....
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Ace Lungger

HP, I think WC hit it on the head :o :o Them are Good Lookin!!! :) Is that a 2 1/2" belt? that is where I am stuck at right now, I have a pair of S.J. I am doing a no bullet loop style belt, I went with a real simple stamp design on the holters, so I think to keep the look that if I use a 2 1/2" belt it will look pretty simple with that border>
I get it figure out maybe?
HP, thanks for sharing the pic's of that NICE RIG!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Ace, that's a 2 1/4" belt and tapers to 1 1/2" on each end. These percussion belts give ya more room to stamp and make designs. I'm working on a cartridge belt now and the loops do limit ya some. Good luck on yer Slim Jim rig.  ;)

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

HP,
How important is it that the belt design matches the holsters :o i am strickly making this rig to test the waters.
I running pretty close on funds, and i need to buy some good leather, but i don't want to have a loy tied up if my work wont sell?
I know that i am just stating out, and I don't expect to get HIGH Dollor out of my rig's but i don't want to loose money!

I would be great full for a answer wheter our not the belt needs to match the holsters?
This is not a question just for HP, anyone that want's to jump ingo for it!!

I will be very great full for any and all advice!1

Thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

HorsePen Henry

Ace, my philosophy or premise is look at as many old west leather articles as ya can and not just what's in books. Get a feel for what the old timers did and then use yer own engenuity and be creative with what ya have by way of tools. Those old timers were individualists and had there own whimsies and opinions just like we all do today. If a customer had a vision of what he wanted then I suppose the leathersmith made it for him as desired by the customer. "The customer is always right" is not a modern addage, I don't think. Maybe Horace Greeley came up with that one too. ;D

The problems that I have seen as a re-enactor of various time periods is that they tend to all want a copy of the same 10 gorgets or knife cases or etc... The effect is that they all look like uniformed soldiers whether they are portraying soldiers or not. Common is not good in my opinion. It leads to a uniformed or cast from the same mold interpretation of history.

My advice is to be creative and keep making what stands out to you. Some folks don't like busy looking pieces and some do. Some prefer plain. I like 'em all and enjoy doin' it all. If yer making a holster that is border stamped then I would recommend border stamping the belt too. These are just my opinions however and I am sure everybody here has their own philosophy they will share with you.

Yer doing nice work, Ace. Just keep up the practice as we all are here. Ya can't help but get betterer and betterer as ya go along.

Cheers,

X Horse Pen

My apologies for the long post. I usually don't write briefs or thesis papers.  :-[
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

HP,
No need for  apologies I injoy having someone to chat with about my interest!!! Thanks for the idea's , I have a lot of learning (YEARS) but you all have been great help, and i depend on you pards a lot (to much)!! :o ???

With out you Pards, I would still be in bed everyday, speaking of that, it's not looking good for the back and right leg, they had given me a couple of years before I would need a wheel chair, i think they missed it by about 22 months :o :o :o
I have a tens unit, that i where on that leg to get it to stop hurting so that I can go to sleep, I wore it all day yesterday set pretty high, burnt both spots whee the pads were.
Thanks for the help, hope we can get together someday!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Great work, X-Pen. I really like the way the pattern folllows the same alignment on every piece. It really makes a beautiful rig. 8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Quote from: Ace Lungger on July 06, 2008, 07:57:59 AM
HP,
How important is it that the belt design matches the holsters :o i am strickly making this rig to test the waters.
I running pretty close on funds, and i need to buy some good leather, but i don't want to have a loy tied up if my work wont sell?
I know that i am just stating out, and I don't expect to get HIGH Dollor out of my rig's but i don't want to loose money!

I would be great full for a answer wheter our not the belt needs to match the holsters?
This is not a question just for HP, anyone that want's to jump ingo for it!!

I will be very great full for any and all advice!1

Thanks
ACE
Howdy Pal
A matching rig looks good but it doesn't have to. Remember back in the old west cowboys got their stuff
anywhere they could. If a holster got ruined they got another one, it most likely didn't match.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ace Lungger

Thanks WC, I used a very small border on the holsters, trying to give them the look of period correct look that was a touch above plain but nothing over the top! But then when I got to thinking about the belt, and I am going to give it the same border, but want to give it a tad bit more,  but i still don't know, I quess it will have to hit me in head, and then i will do it! I think it is that i have to many things i neeed to get done, and as allways, if i had nothing to do I wouldn't be hurting so bad! I told my Bud in S.C. that I felt like cutting my right leg off!It hurt so bad yesterday, i wore my tenns unit on that leg all day, and burnt a couple good spots where the pads were on! never fails!Sorry about that, it just makes it hard to consintrate with other things going on! i think CW, you are 100 percent right :) :)
thanks Guys :) You Pards are allways there when I need it!! I got a hold of SASS about asking to use there place that Chuck recommended, but they don't like me, so they never got back to me, like they said they would!!
But I still want to put toghter a meeting of anyone who wants to come talk leather and what ever, next year!!!
I want to meet you guys!!!! When you got 50 mentors, it would be nice to shake there hand!!

Thanks to all!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Howdy boys,

Here's a cartridge belt that I just finished up for 44-40 hulls.

I got the idea for the scalloped border with a seed inside each one from the Peacemakers book.

Cheers,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

HorsePen Henry

I had some bullet loop material left over so I made m'self a hatband with it.

This is my old timey bonnet I wear ta shoots.

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D Howdy Horse Pen Henry

Pard you're really putting out some nice work, I like your use of the seeder, and your choice of border stamps , the hat band is a nice touch too, nice work all around Pard, I look forward to seeing your next project. :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Thanks TW, I'm starting the holsters for it now. They'll be for a pair of SAA Colt's in 44-40 with 7 1/2" barrels straight hang. This belt is a turn a the century belt and is real simple in cut. I intend to make the holsters in a carved floral design but the same color. I usually don't dye the leather on my projects but did something different this time.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Horse Pen,

Gorgeous work! Another great job of stamping. In addition to being a beautiful piece, this belt looks very rugged and durable. It will stand the test of time. Look forward to seeing the holsters.

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

Thanks Johnny. I'll show 'em to ya when I get 'em done. One a the main reasons I like to show my work to you fellas is not only for the praise for good work which encourages one to keep it up, but the off chance that one or two a you fellas will tell me where I have screwed up and help me get better. I am serious about this. If ya have a positive critique that will help me get better then fire away. I have big shoulders and I sure will not get my feelings hurt about it. I am asking you guys for it so cough it up and spill the beans will ya??? ;) :D ;D I know someonme out there has some helpful hints to share so we can all learn to be better craftsmen from it.

Many thanks fer respectful honesty, and my hat's off ta y'all good pals n' pards,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com