Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Johnny

Will John at 6' 1" tall you understand where i'm coming from , i'm 6' 4", unless I have a pretty good drop on my strong side, I might as well ask someone else to pull my gun, so for me it's a good 2 1/2 to 4" drop, or a nice 28 degree cross draw.
         I see you have your gun pushed down in the holster , in it fits good , I think your rig will work out real well for you. One thing though, if you haven't used a edge bevelor, you need to bevel all your edges, use a #3 bevelor or a #2 is ok too, then you need to Burnish all your edges, seeing how you have dyed the leather dark, I would suggest you use Fiebings black or dark brown Edge Kote, after a coat or two of this , and after dry, then burnish the edges with a tine of deer antler or some blue jean material wraped around and glued to a piece of dowel, rub bees wax all over BJ dowel, and some on the edges, then rub and burbish until all the edges are smooth and shiny, this will seal the leather on the edges and give protection, plus it looks good , it will have that nice and finished look. ::) :o ;D 8) When I first started out, CowboyWC was on me to do a better job of burnishing my leather, I didn't understand what he ment at first , and it took me a while until I learned how to do it, and now he doesn't have to say anything about my burnishing , Thanks WC for the tips and the tricks and taking the time to show me.  ;) :D it really puts the finishing touch to your leather. ::) :o 8)

Thanks for sharing Pard  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

Santee,

Vinegaroon,  I have some USMC black but havent used it yet.  Was going to try a thimble full of the USMC with EVOO and see if I can get some shade of antique brown.
But now I know I can make some holsters so now to try mixing and matching other styles.

Eventually I would like to do a Roy Rodgers rig and a Lone Ranger rig also.  Shooting in SASS we have to shoot 2 pistols so I don't want to do the rigs like Gunsmoke or Paladin.
But to do these kind of rigs I have to get a lot more patience and be able to carve.

vince
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ace Lungger

JD,
I know what you mean about patience, That is one thing the Lord didn't give me!! ??? Going to have to learn that on my own!!
I had a Super friend buy several books on carving, and it scares me to death to even try it on a piece of scrap! Before I got hurt, I didn't let anything get me down, if someone else could do it, so could I! But something happened to me after laying in this bed for 1 1/2years and I can't kick it!
I have said this before, If i won a great big Lottery, I would set up a great big meeting,m pay for everything, Pay Cowboywc, Will Gromley, Chuck Burrow's, TW,Outrider, all those great carver's for there time to so the rest of us some of there tricks!!
I have seen some purdy stuff done on here with just artistic stamping, but I also think that is something a person has to learn also.
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

Heres my newest rig for my Remmys. Made the long pair to sell on Ebay, but ended up shooting them in competition, so am keeping them for now. Made the shorty for the 5 1/2" barreled Pietta.

The second is another Walker holster, using Will G's floral stamps. Made it to sell too, but seem to be collecting Walker holsters instead.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Irish Dave

I like 'em. Nice job, Dalton, very nice.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Pitspitr

I'm looking forward to CSG so I can see some of that great leather in person, Dalton. I sure hope we end up on the same posse again.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Dalton Masterson

Pit, it looks like 21 signed up, so may just be 1 posse. I will be sure to bring some goodies. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Johnny Dingus

Dalton,

Those holsters look great!  The color is real nice too.  What did you use as a stain?  I am looking to do some brown holsters next and would like it if they turned out half as nice as yours.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Pitspitr

Quote from: dalton masterson on June 30, 2008, 10:51:35 PM
Pit, it looks like 21 signed up, so may just be 1 posse.

That'd be good posses are a neccesary evil It always sucks when somebody I want to shoot with ends up on the other posse. :(
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice, very nice,  ;) ;D ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Dang Dalton,
You've been pretty busy the last couple a days. Real nice outcome to yer labors. I likee!!!
Thanks fer showing 'em off to us.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Don101

thats a realy nice set of holsters, nicely made too, Don

Dalton Masterson

Well thanks for the kind words gents.
Horsepen, it just happens that I do several holsters at a time, that way when I am in the mood for stamping, I just stamp several, then dye several, etc. It makes me have several done at one time, which makes it look like I have been really busy. ;)

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Those all look great, Dalton. Those three all look like a great set. Nice stamp work. The color is good, too, just right for the amount of border. I really like the border around the floral stamps on the last one. It offsets them beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Great looking holsters, Dalton. How are you doing your inside border lines? With a swivel knife and beveler?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Dalton Masterson

The lines are swivel knife cut, then beveled. On occasion, I will do the far outside one with my stitch groover. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Dalton,
Those are AWESOME :o! Love the lines, just super clean and everything complements everything!
I , as allways walk to go over board!

Super work
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton & Johnny Dingus,

Beautiful work Pards! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

Here ya go Marshall,

Here's a couple a twins and a belt made for a pair of 1860 Colt Army's. These are sure enough Slim Jims. They are for 8" barrels. ;D

BTW, these are for a PO'd Rooster up in Iowa. A darned good gunsmith fer sure.

Don't burn yer fangers today but have a great Independance Day!!!

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Horse Pen
That is one good lookin' rig. Very clean stamp work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com