Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

Here's the latest from my bench. This is the first one I have dyed. Usually I do the suntan and evoo but this gun called for something different. I had some trouble with making the pattern. The usual formula for a gun with a triggerguard didn't work here. I had to make it bigger across the top. The frames on these Paterson's are a lot blockier than the later pistols, too. Anyway, I got it done. I am considering antiqueing it a bit more.

I have a set a Slim Jims for a pair of 1860 Army's in .44 on the bench right now. I'll show 'em to ya when they get done.

Happy Father's Day fellas,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dr. Bob

Horse Pen,

WOW!!  That is GREAT!!  I like it a lot. ;D ;D  Happy fathers day to all! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Black Powder

Fine look.  Great color.  Straight out of Packin' Iron.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Paladin UK

Fer.HorsePen Henry ..........

Your skills are superb pard!! ;D That is one.... Boooooooooootiful Holster

Ol Rooster Cogburn GB used ta make all my rigs etc. but for some unexplained reason he`s decided ta quit  :(

If sometime in the future I wuz in need of a new rig would you consider making one fer a pard on the other side of the pond 
::)

Paladin (What  lurvs HPH`s work :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy HorsePen Henry  ;D

I really look forward to seeing your work pard, you put a lot of thought into everything you do, and it really shows in the quality of your work , your tooling and borders are one of a kind, I like your use of the seeder stamps, it's a nice touch, the color on this holster came out real nice , it looks old but well kept.  :D
                                                          Thanks for sharing  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

I am glad you all like it. The Packing Iron comment was a nice sentiment. That is kinda what I had in mind when I made this holster. I still need to get that book. It's on my list.

To Sir Paladin, I would be honored to make ya a rig. A feller never has enough guns and they all need their own rigs to go with 'em. ;)

You guys are a great source of encouragement.
Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

I'll second the Packing Iron comment. That is one nice holster. It totally fits the piece. I love the color and the design you put on it. Just enough to make it interesting but not so much as to clutter it at all. Well done, pard. Beautiful work.

Just to show you how easily it could be from PI, here's a photo of a flap holster I scanned in from the book. You captured a very similar feel with yours.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy HorsePen,

Congratulations on another beautiful job!  Simple but very elegant. Great worksmanship and finish!

Thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

Thanks for the scan, Marshall Will. That is a fine looking holster. I was thinking about putting a flap on it since there is no trigger guard to help keep Lil' Lilly in her holster. I have read that the slim jims came from the idea of the flaps being cut off of the flap holsters out in California. I think that was a tidbit I picked up out of Will G's Forty Niner Pattern pack. I'd like ta make one like that sometime.

Many thanks guys,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dalton Masterson

Horsepen, thats a beauty!!! Hope to see it in person sometime. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

HP,
That one Purdy Lookin Holster, Just like TW was telling me the other day, a person doesn't have to get wild on the stamping, to make a Beauitull Peice Of ART :o  I realy like the color like MW said, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to get that color? Those will sure turn some heads when your out on the range!!

Thanks for sharing!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Thanks Dalton. We'll probably meet up at a shoot some time either here in Kans. or up in Nebr. I am lookin' forward to swapping lies and recipes with ya.

Ace, I matched the med. brown fiebings with Laurel Mountain Forge stains and dunked it in a tray like Ol' Chuck said. I think they are both pretty much the same stuff. They smell the same anyways. I also used the belly around the front leg portion of the hide so I could have some a those natural fold lines in the holster. It helped make it look used a bit. Glad ya like it.

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

:)HP, I think that it is a combo of color , style and simplicity, but with elegant lines :) :)
I am still plugging along on the Pommel rig, our humidity has been 94 and up for at least 5 days, I likely sponged to small pieces of leather both sides to test some stamps, and after 3 hours they still wern't ready!! >:( >:(
Tomorrow lays another day, i am hopeing to use the pony tomorrow, will be my first attemp at sewing with 2 needles, i have been using thoses awl for awl, but I think it is time for me to grow up ??? ??? Wish me luck!!
I have to get this rig done, I have a Factory made Hunter belt with loops gave $40.00 new, and I have a holster cut out for it, want to get it done, so I can start on a mule I need to get delivered! I hope you don't mind I might copy your design on this holster not exact, because I can't do as good as you do, but i dont want to tie al lot of time in it not knowning what it will bring!
Thanks for the info!!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Ace, yer a daisy if ya do!!! ;D

Naw, heck....I don't mind ya using a design or borrowing from it at all. Artists have been influenced by each others work for centuries. I don't own it. Matter a fact, I may have been influenced subconsciously by thumbing through that book a couple a times. Heck, I'm flattered. Good luck on yers!!!

X Hores Pen ;)
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

santee

A copy of the one I held funeral services for. There was a brass bar in with the spots that I decided to throw up near the trigger guard curve.
Also tried a little of Chuck's distressing technique (think I need a little more).
No, that Colt doesn't have gold plate, it's the flash!  :)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Marshal Will Wingam

I lke that design of holster, Santee. It has good visual balance. Glad to see you stayed with that. The distressing is nice. Perhaps a little more will look even better. If you do more, be sure to show us how it looks. Lookin' good, pard. That pistol sure would look good in gold, eh? Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Thanks, Marshall.
I think I will distress it a little more. Incidentally, that color is Fiebing's LIGHT brown (weakened 50% with isopropyl). Look how dark that came out!
Promise to take a better photo, also. ;)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Santee  :D

Pard your work is coming along leeps and bounds, everyone you post, you show more polish in your work, you did a great job on this holster, i've really started to like this style holster since Horse Pen Henry, posted his, and now yours, it looks antique, and i like your border tooling, spots, and the color you came up with , when i've used Fiebings spirit dyes, i've never been able to get the color i wanted , thats why now i always do a compleat finish ( the way i'm going to do it ) on scrap leather, and even thats fooled me.  ???  Oh yea, NICE GUN

Take care Pard, and keep up the good work  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Santee,  :o
Very nice, i like the style and the half skirt, i have been going to try that one of theses days, also what to make a Dodge City rig, but i want to wait untill I have a new pair of pistols to put in it!
Great job!! Keep it up!! :) :)
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com