Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Thaks for the link, Will. I like the conchos. They work really well. I like the angle on the toe. It carries the trigger guard part of the pouch down into the rest of the holster. The low straps on the skirt gives it a very different look, too. It makes me want to go a little outside the box on one of mine soon.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Will,
I was following your customer's requests/needs on another forum and it appears you are going to give him precisely what he asked for (and much more). Congrats!
Gonna add those conchos to your inventory? I'm sure you'd have interested parties! :)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Horsepen & Will G,

That is some gorgeous and inspiring work Pards!

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

WG, AWESOME,  :oAWESOME, :oAWESOME :o
What great design lines :) the silver work is unbelievable!! I know this isn't a cowboy word but,thats COOL 8) 8) 8)
Only in my dreams will I ever be able to do something like that!! That curved toe set that rig off like a new shinny penny :o

Thanks for posting that link, i knew when I saw the small pic's i had to see a close up!! I know that you never blow your own horn and I have also notice that there are others on hear that don't!! But this topic is to so your stuff and isn't a bragging area, it is a place to show off your art!! That away you give people like me the desire to want to improve on our skills!! This isn't a over night thing to learn! But there are a lot of pards out there that live in the sticks like me, and without the internet and all the GREAT PEOPLE on here, helping beginners like me and others, I might of quit after my first holster!!
But I didn't because of pards like you and everyone else sharing idea's and helping everyone, it is like haveing a private teacher who looks outside the box, and you get answers from several diff. pards!!!
 I hope this Topic never stops!!! When I am having one of those days like yesterday when i couldn't get out of bed, I get on here and I look and study and ask questions, and then it doesn't seem like I have wasted a day of my life!!
Because this is how I look at a person life is this, for today will never be again, so you make the best out of TODAY, so that if you can, you will use the knowledge that you learned today for tomorrow!! For everyday you do nothing, you have lost a day of your life!!

I want to thank GOD and each and every member on here for being a part of this group, and also for allowing me to be a part of it!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

will ghormley

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your kind words.  Marshal Will, this holster is a big departure from what I usually do, but the customers want what was in the movie.  I would "improve" quite a few things about this holster, but then, it would look more like the rest of my gear.  I would have even changed the conchos to make 'em lay and look the way I think they should be.  The point bein', personal taste is what adds the variety to the industry.  There is so much to learn from studying and copying what others do, then incorporating what we like about it, into our own work and makin' it ours.

When I see someone take one of my patterns and use it as a spring-board for their own designs, I feel like I have really contrubuted to the whole.  That's the point of why I even bother.

Santee, as for addin' the conchos to the mix, I'll get around to it.  The problem bein', I love to create, but I hate doin' business.  I'm gettin' close to starting my DVD line, but I don't want to sell 'em.  I don't have the time to sell stuff, I'm too busy workin'!  So, I've got to iron out my supply bottle-necks with my sources, find outlets to sell stuff in the volume needed to pay for the stupid projects I take on, and not run out of mortgage payments in the meantime.  Man, I hate bein' in business.  I wish I was in the high country mendin' fence, checkin' on the calves and lookin' for cat tracks.  Life was so much simpler then.  Of course, I couldn't have had eight kids and gotten where I'm at if I'd'a stayed on the range, (my wife is partial to her hot and cold indoor plumbing!).  Oh well.  Am I gripin' now?  Sorry.

Will

OH!  I forgot to talk about the coloration.  I mixed Fiebings Professional Oil Dye, Black, 50/50 with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  It doesn't give a uniform coloration and you have to shake your container real good before you use it, but it's quick and easy and gives a good "used" look right out of the chute.

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

HorsePen Henry

Thanks for all the good words, friends! A fella gets a lot a encouragement from you guys here in the Leather Shop. :D

Will, thanks for the tip on mixing the oil base dyes in with the EVOO. Keep up the good work. I am thinkin' about using some spots and conchos (maybe) on a set a saddle bags. I have your single strap pattern. Good patterns.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Mississippi Sam

So I've recently been bitten by the leather craft bug, and here's my first attempt at holster makin'!  It turned out ok, but there's definately some things I'll do differently next go round. 
Any and all comments and criticisms are welcome as I need all the input I can get.  There are really some great artists on this board, and any suggestions you could offer would be much appreciated. 

I used a saddle tan gel antique and super sheen for the finish.  In my opinion, it looks a bit "plastic-y," so again, all advice welcome!

Thanks for the great forum!

Ace Lungger

It turned out okay :o You make me sick :) I been playing with the leather and I mostly will never make something that nice!!

Very nice Holster MS :o :o
Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Good holster, Sam. Really good for a first one. To avoid the plasticky sheen, I just use just dyes and oil finishes. That retains the natural leather luster. To get a slight shine on the highlights, I rub the piece briskly with a cotton cloth. The tooling is fine and the stitch line is nice and straight. Can't wait for your next one. Thanks.

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy MS

For this being your first holster , you did well Pard ;) :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

pa.bluesman

I've never made a holster, although I have a S&W 357 I'd like to make one for. I'm hoping I might learn something about holster making on here. I've been playing guitar for going on 46 years, so I pretty much stick to making guitar straps. If anyone cares to take a look, I put up a website a few months ago in hopes of turning this into a little business
www.brookwoodleather.com
Bob
See my ad in the classifieds for a nice Tippmann Boss Stitcher
Click the link to the ad ~
http://www.cascity.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/57

Black Powder

Nothing like a nice wide strap to hold up a Les Paul.  Where's the signature Skydog strap?   ;)  Very nice web site.

You will find a lot of useful info here from a bunch of enthusiasts, I'm sure.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice stuff you have done there with the gutar straps. Looks like fun. As to learning about holsters, this is a good place to ask questions and such. Cruise through our FAQ thread and click on the links there to read some great tips and get some ideas:
FAQ / HOW-TO / SUPPLIERS / IDEAS

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Mississippi,

Welcome to this forum. That is a one beautiful first holster! My first holster looked like something that came with a kid's cap pistol set.

Look forward to seeing your future work. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

pa.bluesman

Quote from: Black Powder on June 12, 2008, 12:23:23 PM
Nothing like a nice wide strap to hold up a Les Paul.  Where's the signature Skydog strap?   ;)  Very nice web site.

You will find a lot of useful info here from a bunch of enthusiasts, I'm sure.

BP
Thanks  :D
Who or what is Skydog???
Bob
See my ad in the classifieds for a nice Tippmann Boss Stitcher
Click the link to the ad ~
http://www.cascity.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/57

Black Powder

Skydog was Duane Allman's nickname.  I did a search and the original designer still makes one ($300), so it'd probably be a bad idea to offer one for sale yourself.  But for inspiration, here's a pic of the new version and the original in action.  Note the carving!  The original sold for $15,000 recently...

BP

HorsePen Henry

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Black Powder

Naw, that'd've been Pete Townshend.

This guy's playin' the blues and ya can't do that without the look of pain & anguish on your face, especially when bending up to hit the high notes!

BP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com