Author Topic: Just bought a Uberti 1860 Full Flute  (Read 16708 times)

Alabama

Just bought a Uberti 1860 Full Flute
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
Well , after purchasing the nicer Pietta half fluted cylinder model 1860 , I fell in love with the 1860's a little now . I still like the 51 and 61's grip better but there is nothing "WRONG" with the 60's either , its just different is all.
On that note I have been wanting the Uberti model 1860 for a long time with the full flute cylinder , but nobody had any for the longest time , well over a year now ? ( darn Italians and thier vacations )  I kept looking and looking and nothing . I hit the add to cart contents to one of my supplliers today just for craps and giggles to see if it happended to be in stock and be dissapointed once again , and HOWDEE HOWDEE HOWDEE ;D there it was , in stock !!!!! I did not want to spend $300 on a plain cylinder model , so was holding out forever it seamed just on chance and prayers that one might be made again once they Italians were done drinking thier wine for lunch this year . . Long lunches over there !  :o
I think this was needless to say but I will say it anyway , its mine now  ;D
I got overnight shipping , and who cares about the extra $50 , I need to see it quick or I might explode from excitement  :o
I have waited tooooo long , and yes one more week would kill me . Will post some pics by this weekend at some point and a progress report of the current Uberti quality on this model too .
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Happpy Alabama !!!!!  ;D

Offline Athena Jake

• Very Active Citizen
  • I Wanna Die Young (At A Very Old Age)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Just bought a Uberti 1860 Full Flute
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »
mmmm yeah  a pair of those would tempt me to shooting cap and ball....
a link to one of Uberti's pages with a picture:
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1860_army_fluted_lg.jpg
Athena Jake Elder
SASS #74972 / STORM #276 / WARTHOG
McLean County Peacemakers

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:33:12 AM »
Good link , good pic too Athena Jake .

Yes , she does look good in that pic for sure .  ;D
Pretty sure I am going with Bloodwood grips or Fancy AA Walnut on her when she gets here tonight or first thing Friday morning .
I think I ordered too late for todays air shipment to be here on the West Coast , but oh well  :-\
I will certianly be getting a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for her too in time , but it won't be a gated one , I like switching back and forth to Cap and Ball too much , so the Civil War style R & D Cylinders are my prefference anyway . With a proper fitting wedge and proper fitting frame-barrel lock-up it is childs play to change out the cylinder anyway on the Colts . Seriously , as immature as I am I can prove its really childs play  ;D I always wanted one of these with the Charcoal Blued barrel and cylinder but from what I have heard the finish comes off real easy , especially holstered . Even the nice gals at Taylors told me if I ever get one in that finish it won't look like that very long . Plus of course they had none in stock when I was looking last year either of course , so I more or less gave up any real search for one . Finally this one came along from my other supplier in Ubertis fine looking Blue-Black Blueing , so glad that fettish is done finally . She will look nice sitting in the company of my nicer Pietta 60 for sure . Holstered in a double rig together they will be a handsome pair indeed . I tell ya what though , the Pietta 1860 from Dixie with Half Fluted cylinder is worth a look-see to be buying too for anyone interested in a nicer 1860 Army , the trigger pull on this years production run is exceptional from Pietta on that model of 1860 Army , and I believe it is still on sale for $240 at Dixie Gun Works , an excellent price for such a fine looking gun . Pietta is really stepping up to the plate this year indeed .
Here's a pic of it with my grips installed on her .

After looking at this picture myself , I think I will go with some AA Black Walnut like my Pietta on my new Uberti 60 ? I think a matching pair of grips is going to be mandatory for this brace of 60's for sure in a double holster rig .  ;D  Italy's finest stuff for sure  ;D  Well , there wine is pretty good too , but I don't drink anymore so that is a mooooooot point  :o

Sincerely, Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:10:00 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 432
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
For the last 25 years or so.. I have purchased nearly 200 C&B pistols or more, of all the styles ,though one of the
Importers, for the Prop Dept. of various films. I've had Uberti's , ASM's and Pietta's from
Navy Arms
Tailors
Cimarron
EMF
And back in the day Allan Arms...

My issue with Pietta is the Lawyers @ Pietta force the Alphabet stamped all over the place on their Guns.
I'd hope powers to be @ Pietta (and I know he reads these threads) is listening ...PLEASE

I use to defarbed these years ago...if it was to be a Principle's prop and the I tried to closely matched 3 guns for that Actor.
That takes time however, so I prefer 2nd Gens Colts for close up's or Uberti Colt & Remingtons , I still give them a touch up so they aren’t so BRAND NEW on camera.
The last lot I bought, a Dozen Uberti's of 1860's w/ mixed 51's as well as a Dozen Remingtons ( but they only had 9 in stock )
were for "Into the West"
We had them in inventory, but a lot went unused & unfired or just were just in Holsters on Extra’s...
All of these are sold after we Wrap production.
I'll agree Pietta ( of which we had a few ) were well turned out... out of the box, except for the darn Lawyer dribble.
Pietta's CH colors are quite vibrant and fit and finish is better than the mid 80's examples.

I personally shoot 2nd Gens or Kenny Howell or Dave Anderson customs and Cimarron or Taylor's Uberti's.
I usually sell the Pietta's and I often keep a really nice Uberti ....

I have a Uberti Charcoal Fluted 60 and the finish is fragile, but it has aged to a beautiful brownish and the wear looks fine to my eye.

when planets align...do the deal !

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing that messege, you should feel lucky you do what you do , and they should too I am sure .

Alabama

PS.... on a seperate note for Pietta , it would be nice if " they " cannot keep from putting the writings on the barrels, at least do some nice De Fleur engraving around thier names or something . Personally I don't mind the name on my guns , actually like it or not , it really doesn't matter to me and I am proud to own Piettas too along with Uberti , Euroarms , etc , so it is just fine by me actually . It is the Black Powder Only markings that should NOT be there . If they have to be there for some stupid law then hide them under my loading lever please . Caliber designation marks I don't mind either but some engraving around them would be cool too , just simple fine line De Fleur at each end would be great . I promise to buy more a year if you do !!!!!

Alabama

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »
My supplier calls me at 6:45 this morning , obviously they are on the East Coast time , tells me that UPS wants another $30 on top of the $50 I already paid for overnight shipping for a Gasoline Sir Charge now  :-\
I had to tell them to kiss my knee ( you know what Alabama really said  at 6:45 am. >:(  ) and just send it second day air , which means Monday now  :-\
I am beggining to hate the Gasoline Gods . At least if it was a horse that was charging me an outrageous price for OATS , I could at least Kill it !
Moral of the story I have to wait till Monday to see my new baby , and I am running low on Cigars darnit all , and patience  :-\
Gas drops $00.35 cents in two days here and they want more money for fuel for the plane ? Somebody is eating Fillet Mignone' tonight and I am not .  >:(
So, after my morning work schedule was fullfilled I went to the Market and bought 2-1/2 lbs . of King Crab to drown my sorrows tonight with my Honey for Supper . Oh no , I didn't stop there , I had to have fresh Artichokes too , fresh Sour Dough Bread and real butter , and a whole fresh Pineapple , and real life whole Papaya to wash down all this GUN PAIN !!!!! If I drank I would be drunk by now .  ;D Someone out there better drink a half gallon of Jim Beam for me please , trust me I will feel ya doin it !
I wish this was the 1700's I would go visit some shippers with my Dragoon and 50 grains .  8) Me no likey being screwed over .
It better be worth the wait  ;D

Alabama

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
Heh! 'Bama;   I saw your reference to black walnut for grip material.  I was able to buy 3 guitar "finger-board" blanks.  Black ebony about 2 inches wide, 1/4 inch thick, and about 18 - 20 inches long.  I will have to try some pistol grips.  They would look great on plated pistols!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Alabama

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
Sir Charles deMoutonBlack ,
I am assuming you will be laminating then together to mke a big enough peice to make a grip out of ? And thick enough too ?
I like ebony wood too , especially if it shows some grain pattern with some brown streaking in it too .
And oh yes, a nice Nickle plated or high pollish Stainless anything would sure lend themselves to that wood for sure  ;D A cool Richards would be ideal I would think ?
So there you go, one more reason to buy another gun for you !
See how nice that worked out  ;D
My guy is fetching $50 a square foot for good ebony right in 7/8" thick by whatever width he has at the time, useually around 5 to 8 inches wide . Spendy stuff and it is one of those woods only a Mother would love , it don't get used much because of its blackness and lack of seeing grains unless you really search out a good colorful piece and that aint easy to come by . Plus it is DENSE heavy too, very weighty , which is good for some guns anyway , especailly Colts . That stuff is as tough to work with as Bloodwood , it burns with any amount of Dremel heat or belt sanding heat too , gots to go slow , very slow , and its all kinda brittle till you get some oils onto it or like the laquers I use  .
Please post some pics when you get around to it ok , I would love to see some of your work and the Ebony grips when done .

Cheers, Alabama

PS.... Another great gun that they would go good on is the Pietta 63 pocket pistols in Nickle , that would look awsome on them  ;D

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
Alabama, I wrote you a message, but don't think it went through.  I love the full fluted Army, I have three, a Second gen Colt and two Ubertis.  I think it's the best looking revolver ever made.  That's half my Army battery, the rest is a Signature Series Colt (junk), and two Uberti "Civilian" models.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Alabama

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:31 AM »
Hi Flint,
and no it did not go through for some reason, computer Gods I guess . I like them Gods as much as the Gasoline Price Gods  :-\
I would have answered it had it gone through , you know I can't shut up , long .  ;D
Yes you do love them if you have three plus three , very nice .
Just curious but why do you call the Signature Series Colt 1860 Junk ? I never bought one of those back then but did buy the 3rd model Dragoon and the 1851 Navy , and both mine were flawless in function and very pretty too ? Just curious if you got a bad one or why you don't like it ? My Dragoon has really held up well and its been punished by my Dad and used allot by me too . Maybe your 1860 is like the Colt Black Powder Company's customer service was , they were hit and miss and you got a bad miss ?
I am still pissed off ( I don't hold a grudge do I ) this many years later after too many calls to them asking about info on products and time-lines and all I got was the New York East Coast run-a-round , with a bad attitude on top of it from them . No surprise they aint around anymore that's for sure .
I halfway agree with you on this one , that model of 1860 is sure nice lookin . The other half of me would have to say an 1861 full fluted would be my only topper in an arguement on looks though here . But we aint argueing , we all have our favorites no doubt about it . And an 1851 with the same flute treatment would look awsome too ? But I can certainly understand it being YOUR favorite  ;D
I think the Flutes add a real touch of elegance to the already elegant Colts , reguardless if there may be timing issues involved , weaker design , it don't matter to me , it just looks cool .
Unfortunately after buying and building up my Pietta 1860 half flute I really got the bug for the 1860's now , and you know what happens when Alabama gets the gun bug .  ;)
I doubt I will catch up to your arsenal of them but you never know , there is till time to collect in my life I hope  ;D
I sure would like to get one with a silver plated trigger guard too sometime . Not sure if they ever made one like that in the Civilian model , but I know where to have that done here if I want to have one . Matter of factly I may have it done to both of mine anyway . We'll see .

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
"... No surprise they aint around anymore that's for sure "

Just an aside ...but in fact they are still around sorta ....

Lou Imperato, who founded Colt Blackpowder Arms Co
 Co passed away in 07, 
 but his company morphed years ago to Henry Repeating Arms ( yep! the Big Boy guys ) they were at the same address.
Though I think they have moved manufactory a while back.

One thing, about the 3rd Gen. Guns should be known (unlike 2nd Gen. Colts assembled at the old Iver Johnson plant under final Colt inspection)
The Third Gens. were assembled by several different outside vendors, and not all were inspected by Colt in fact Colt was mostly outside the loop.
I too had a pair, and they were different as night & day, one was very nice ,the other, well I sold it... it was not even as nice as a
OEM Uberti and at the time better than trice (3) the price.
I never did like the Sam Colt sig on the back strap either...Both guns were purchased for use on  TNT's "Ironclads"

And, just for a FYI... the Signature Series ( so called 3rd Gen. ) the correct Moniker, were not all  Uberti castings.
In fact Armi Sport , ( Spencer & Sharps ) provided the raw parts for the Colt 1861 Springfield musket, sold as the Signature Series.
These, at least the several I handled were quite nice too.

It seemed to depend, on whom, did the final assembly, for old Lou....

Alabama

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
It was my understadning from them , "Colt Black Powder Company" when I could find someone that actually knew something on the phone , that all the pistols were Uberti parts . But then again they could be telling fibs just so I would hang up too I guess ? Not sure who that the Springfield Rifle was being made by Armi Sport for Colt would mean to the threade hear about the pistols other than the rifles were made by Armi Sport ? I guess it leaves open the possibility they made some of the pistol parts too ?
The one aspect of the Signature series , ( Hence the name Signature series ) was the fact it had the nice Samuel Colt name engraved on them . Which I personally like allot , glad its there , makes them very unique and if you look a round , highly sought after . All the asseccories had it too all the way down to the cool belt buckles they used to sell , which I have one of those too with the 1860 Pewter Colt Pin on it with the rest of buckle in 23 Kt. Gold plate . I think I pad $50 without shipping from them directly  back then , can imagine what its worth now ? That was the only time I ever spoke to anyone there that was nice to me ? And she was a she , so go figure . No wonder I like woman so much anyway .  ;D  Oh, and she defiantely was NOT from New York , she had a Southern twang to her voice . Too bad she didn't rub off on that family , they would still be in bussiness no doubt .
I do know one thing , YOU don't like wrting on your guns  ;D
Try to find one today in Modern cartidge guns that aint got any ? Smith and Wesson has been printing thier names on stuff forever too for that matter , and I bet you hear no complaints there from Smith Owners, they are very proud of their guns and very proud to wear the name on them too , like most everyone else around the world . You are cerrtianly the minority . But in your bussienss I understand your complaint . I think Ruger and Marlin were the two biggest offenders of silly wrting on the guns that's for sure . Names and caliber designations should be the only thing on the gun anyway . Would be pretty hard other than serial numbers to tellw hat to shoot in one or when it was made otherwise for the common man . Your not common, remember that , your a unique firearm person , not the general public like me .

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
Hey 'Bama, bet you cant wait to play a nice tune with that full flute!

Har Har Har, UKshooter
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Alabama

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
UKShooter ,

You have no idea how much I want to play a tune with it , LOL !!! About as much as you want to shoot good groups with your 58 Remingtons I am sure  ;D Waiting is a drag for us both , that's fact , reguarldess if you live on a tiny police state Island or not  ;D
Your a riot UKShooter . I finally found a Britt with a good sence of humor even a stupid redneck raised in Germany and Alabama could understand , Cheers !!! Most of you are drier than burnt toast on your funny bone comments , but I will give you the redneck browny button points today for sarcasim I can actually laugh at , and understand  .  ;D
Soon man soon , Monday could not get here fast enough ! I want my gun like yesterday  :o. Even the Lady is excited about me getting it , she is a gun dog too and really likes that one . I just got to keep her from wanting to borrow it when she goes to the range by herself monthly ( out little vacation from eachother ) .
I went to my wood guy this morning and got a beautiful peice of Black Walnut , very feathery , it is going to make a dandy pair of grips for sure for this Uberti 1860 Colt . Got a chunk 4" X 16" X -7/8" thick for $3.68 cents American . Not sure what that is in pounds ? About 2 pounds I guess ? Whatever it is it was a great price , this is show quality Walnut , Tiffany , and the Smithsonian quality stuff for sure. He must have been feeling generous today with me . God knows I keep him in bussiness anyway . I picked up a piece of Canary Wood too while I was there that caught my eye that is so full of different colors , can't wait to make something from it too. I have a nice brass frame 12" Remington Target I am going to put that on , should be nice when I get her done this Winter . I plan on Nickle Plating that entire gun eventually so the Canary Wood will be a natural for it anyway .

If I ever make it over there agian , we'll have to go to the Pub and shoot some darts , I am darn good at it for an American Mutt .
My Brisstle Board is three feet away from where I am typing right now, so I shoot allot when I use this PC Room . Love it ! I went to Interantional school after Alabama and that is all we did in Saudia Arabia after school . And yes , I beat plenty of you Britts there ! LOL !!  ;D  :o Don't tell anyone but I got my a$$ stomped just as much , ha ha ha ha , good times there in my life .
You guys can shoot some Darts .  8)

Take care and good to talk to ya , Sincerely, ALabama

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
It was my understadning from them , "Colt Black Powder Company" when I could find someone that actually knew something on the phone , that all the pistols were Uberti parts . But then again they could be telling fibs just so I would hang up too I guess ? Not sure who that the Springfield Rifle was being made by Armi Sport for Colt would mean to the threade hear about the pistols other than the rifles were made by Armi Sport ? I guess it leaves open the possibility they made some of the pistol parts too ?
The one aspect of the Signature series , ( Hence the name Signature series ) was the fact it had the nice Samuel Colt name engraved on them . Which I personally like allot , glad its there , makes them very unique and if you look a round , highly sought after . All the asseccories had it too all the way down to the cool belt buckles they used to sell , which I have one of those too with the 1860 Pewter Colt Pin on it with the rest of buckle in 23 Kt. Gold plate . I think I pad $50 without shipping from them directly  back then , can imagine what its worth now ? That was the only time I ever spoke to anyone there that was nice to me ? And she was a she , so go figure . No wonder I like woman so much anyway .  ;D  Oh, and she defiantely was NOT from New York , she had a Southern twang to her voice . Too bad she didn't rub off on that family , they would still be in bussiness no doubt .
I do know one thing , YOU don't like wrting on your guns  ;D
Try to find one today in Modern cartidge guns that aint got any ? Smith and Wesson has been printing thier names on stuff forever too for that matter , and I bet you hear no complaints there from Smith Owners, they are very proud of their guns and very proud to wear the name on them too , like most everyone else around the world . You are cerrtianly the minority . But in your bussienss I understand your complaint . I think Ruger and Marlin were the two biggest offenders of silly wrting on the guns that's for sure . Names and caliber designations should be the only thing on the gun anyway . Would be pretty hard other than serial numbers to tellw hat to shoot in one or when it was made otherwise for the common man . Your not common, remember that , your a unique firearm person , not the general public like me .

Sincerely, Alabama

The Sig. Series pistols were Uberti
only the Colt Springfield Signature series were Armi Sport's  ;)

>>>"I do know one thing , YOU don't like wrting on your guns" <<<

Nope it's  BLACK POWDER ONLY I don't like
Pietta brands on like it's a spare part they are proud of !

Uberti either stamps it under the loading lever or now days omits it entirely.

I know it was made in Italy said so on the box.... I don't need it be reminded every time I load it.

I explained so many of the guns I used were for Films.
Imagine if you will Jeff Danials defending Little Round Top heeling his BLACK POWDER ONLY
Law anouncement gibberish in a close up...  ruins the image, Just as the wrist watch in "Braveheart" did
or the Cat paw logo on the British boot heels  in "The Patiriot".
That's why he used my one of my 2nd Gen 1860 Colts !
I'm paid to pay attention to details.

Pietta's are OK, but it takes time to defarb them, Time I'd rather put to better use.

and BTW... In the "Patriot" Look at the British Dragoon Saddles (supplied & sent by partner who was not present on set nor was I)
The Valises are on the pommels  ::)
These are supposed to be hung to the cantle, behind the rider and are over the Saddlle cloth not under it !

Alabama

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »
Darn you are very good at what you do , obviuosly .  ;)
I will keep a better eye peeled now when I watch some of these movies , good trivia stuff here .
At least we agree Black Powder Only shouldn't be on the guns at all .  ;D
But like I stated before somewhere , that problem corrects itself with or without writing it if you try to load anything but BP into one anyway .  ;)
 If somebody loads modern powder in one kinda keeps the gene pool smarter that way  ;D That problem with failure to pay attetnion definately corrects itself with or without writing . I wonder what a full cylinder of Unique would look like blowing up anyway ? Mighty handsome explosion for sure .  :P I am positive its been done quite a bit , with or without writing black powder only on my guns . Writing that stuff like that on my guns is like writing " don't put in mouth and pull trigger in shower with blow dryer" ? That may be harsh of me to say that the problem corrects itself , but I am dead serious about it .

Alabama

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
Alabama, the Signature Series was a hit or miss proposition, and as has been mentioned before, are not recognized as "real" Colts, but the 2nd gen were.

A friend at work (before I retired) bought a Dragoon and a 51 Sig Series.  The Dragoon was better than the 51, but suffered from some of the same flaws.  The parts that fit together were not polished assembled together, frame and gripframe parts have their edges rolled from buffing, making the assembled gun glitter at the joints.  The guns were also buffed before they were smooth, so there were very shiny toolmarks visible.  The corners of the 51's barrel flats were rounded from overbuffing.  Both his guns were tight, though.

My 1860 came NIB with a loose cylinder arbor, I had to remove it, peen it and locktite it and replace the locking pin with a set screw before I even ever fired it.  The lockwork was so out of time it permanently scarred the cylinder with a ring around the locking slots. 

All of them, however, display wonderful color case hardening colors, wish Ubertis did.

As far as who made the parts,  the third gen Signatures are a mixed bag.  the Cylinder arbor, which should have a threadlike grease groove, has instead an irregularly spaced series of cuts that look like the proper groove, but prove it not to be an Uberti part, as Ubertis are spiral grooved as should be.  Also missing is the proper capping groove in the frames capping cut, and the lettering stamped in a few places is the wrong size.  The hammer was not profiled correctly, Ubertis are, so I replaced the hammer (and bolt) with Uberti parts and timed the gun.  It shoots welll now, but out of the box it was a disaster.

My Second Gen, out of the box, was perfect.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Alabama

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 03:53:42 AM »
I see Flint , bummer , that's allot of work for a replica gun just to fire right  :o
Oh , and don't get me wrong when I say Colt Signature Series are Colts , I know they are not but I use the term Colt very loosely around here and rarely am talking about REAL Colts when I am speaking of Colts anyway . I understand the difference and own one real Colt too . I realize the Signature Series was just made to honor Samuels name and his guns , and of course to make the Colt company money of course , but I knew and know they aint real Colts . To me it is still a Colt , just not a real Colt .  ;D
And that actually doesn't matter to me at all either . After looking up close at what Colt makes now , they should be emmbarrased at best compaired to what they used to put out , and for what they are charging now too, good God . Why would anyone even buy a new SAA from Colt when you can have an USFA ? I understand the name thing and legend , pride , blah blah blah , but come on man !
I picked up a Government model Colt 1911 .45 ACP at my local shop to look at and it was the worst sloppiest pile of crap I laid my hands on in years. And they wanted $900 for this pile of trash ? Come again !!!!! I wouldn't even let Swordboy owne this turd , and that's telling ya something right there .  ;D
Good old days are gone and so is Colt , unless its OLD COLT .
Thanks for sharing your insight by the way Flint , appreciate it .

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »
It was about 1983 I think I ordered 3 Uberti Walkers for then Mid-South Shooters Supply.
These were not marked with anything other than
> ADDRESS- SamL. Colt- New York- NEW YORK<
one line on in the right place but slighty different size font

This was just before the Signature Series were introduced all three were VERY nice They were to be used
Orey Mains guns in N&S book II.
I tried to get a couple more and was told... they could no longer sell the Address "Colt" markerd gun
because COLT was crying foul ..and planned to bring suit, if they were not pulled.

Two of the 3 remained in the prop house, I got one... which I paired with my Second Gen. Dragoon,
Saddly both were stolen out of the Prop tralier on location on "Glory"

Alabama

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
Mr. Trivia !!!!   ;D
Major 2 ,
Bummer they got stolen , but some people are just wrong  :-\
Man I sure would like to have that particular Uberti you are talking about back then .  :P
I wish they would mark up all my Ubertis with that wrting . I personally don't care about that kind of copy right infringment on a Repro because it is a Repro , it should be correct , or close in my opinion . Plus it gives me somewhere to Goldlay it up if I want to also . Uberti's London Navy is the only one I know of now that has any sort of correctness to it , with the London stamping on top of the Barrel flat where it was back then . And of course the Walker and the correct date on the gun now too , not sure if it's the right size or not but I sure like the year on it . The only other maker that does it right is Rogers and Spencers from Euroarms with the VERY nice writing on the frame top , adress etc . But that gun is in a class all its own anyway in my opinion .

Obviously !

Boy that gets me thinking how much I would like to see the Repros done up right now  ??? I still wouldn't mind the Pietta name on them or Uberti name , but the adresses and dates woudl be real nice to have on them . Heck , I am the guy that puts Colt Rampants out of the Pythons and Anacondas grips I buy from Brownells just to have the Nickle Plated Rampants to inlay into grips for me and some of my old customers . I think it honors the COLT not disgraces it , but I am sure I would be hung by some for doing it . But Colt won't sell me the rampants by themselves so I say up yours Colt .  ;D
I think they make great inlays anyway and definately serve for reckognition of a fine machine that was once made , that aint no more in my opinion .

Here , file a law suit on me for this nice Uberti  ;D

I aint trying to make it a Colt , but I am trying to honor the design . Pure art !  ;D

Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com