where to buy a good bull whip

Started by swordboy, October 12, 2008, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordboy

any one know where I can buy an 8 foot 8 plait kangaroo hide bull whip
the line between genius and madness may be a fine one ,but theres a big brick wall between crazy and stupid

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: swordboy on October 12, 2008, 07:50:55 AM
any one know where I can buy an 8 foot 8 plait kangaroo hide bull whip

Yes sir, Krist King makes the best bull whips a goin'. Give me a note and I'll put him in contact with ya.
I have one a his and I won't sell it for any amount a money.
He is listed in Guiness World Book of Records as having braided the longest bull whip and still being able to make 'er crack.
A world famous cowboy that no one knows about .....yet. ;D
Horse Pen

P.S. He also knows the meaning of the word "pals".
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Forty Rod

Plan on paying for it.  Good one's don't come cheap, but really good ones are worth every cent.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

WolfWalker

This is going to sound a little weird....But,
There is a website/forum for a certain cinematic archaelologist with a hat that carries a whip(he's latest epic comes out on dvd tonight) that speciallizes in researching all the costume items.  On their forums, there are several whipmakers on there.  The website is
www.indygear.com(or just do a websearch for indygear).

Scroll down on the menu under Community and it will link you with the Club Obi-Wan forum(There is a section on the forum that covers just whips with a faq of most of the manufacturers on the forum).

You can also try doing a websearch for the Companies "Western Stage Props" and "David Morgan"(the maker of the original Indiana Jones Whip).  Again, for roo hide prepare to pay between 300 to 500 bucks but it will last you along time if you take care of it.

Horsepen, we definately need to talk(Just sent you a reply).  Also you can give my name to Krist King if you would.  I'm also wanting to learn braiding and whipmaking too.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them--John Wayne, The Shootist.

Member of the Bretheren of The Lost Arts: Our Motto: Take yer time, and do it yer ownself, Ye'll have a more harmonious outcome.

HorsePen Henry

Ya got a deal. I'll give ya a call.

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

swordboy

ditto for me I bought a book (david morgan's matter'o fact) and it was absulotly use less to me
the line between genius and madness may be a fine one ,but theres a big brick wall between crazy and stupid

WolfWalker

Swordboy
Which David Morgan book did you get?  If its the one on bullwhips and whipmaking, yeah it doesn't seem to help much.
He has a second book on braiding that teaches the basics, but not much in the way of whips.

2 books I will recommend are:
How to make whips by Ron Edwards(shows just about everything and easy to understand. Covers bull-, stock-, and snake-whips). and
Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant(Shows about any type of braiding you could want, plus has a small section on whips and quirts).

Also, trust me, get on the bullwhip section of the IndyGear forum.  You'll get all the information you can handle(Just ignore the guys that get out a laser micrometer to measure the turks-head knot on an original Indy-whip so they can get the dimensions just right for their costumes).
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them--John Wayne, The Shootist.

Member of the Bretheren of The Lost Arts: Our Motto: Take yer time, and do it yer ownself, Ye'll have a more harmonious outcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com