cylinder pouches???

Started by Gun Butcher, October 10, 2008, 09:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Can anyone help me with this? Did any of the old time cowboys or gunfighters carry extra loaded cylinders for their C&B revolvers and if they did what would they have looked like.
I have probably been looking at them somewhere but they don't seem to be called cylinder pouches so I am not sure. Somebody help me out.....        GB ???
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Bow View Haymaker

cableas sells them.

One tiime I saw them listed as carriers for extra ruger 1022 mags.  but a CB cylinder fits perfect
Try a ook under holsters and such on the cbela's web sight.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Dalton Masterson

GB, I have the ones that Cabelas sells. They arent bad, and eventually will cut one apart and pattern it. Myself, I havent seen any old pouches for such thing, but that isnt saying much. I am sure they existed, maybe, possibly. DM :-\
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Major 2

In another thread on this same subject , I mentioned
A CW issue carbine box remove the cartridge block and replace with a block 3/4" thick, space, drill & glue 3 dowels
upright to hold your (2-3) Cylinders . Dowel size determined by the arbor ...1/4" for Remington
3/8" for Colt.
Mounted Reenactors have used them for years.  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Gun Butcher

Thank you all. I was pretty sure that there was such a thing, just never saw them called that in print. I have even built a few as  general belt pouches.
Major, thanks for the idea of the dowels to hold them. I was planning on sewing dividers into a pouch but your idea would work great and be much easier.
I wonder why you never hear of them, it would have to make sense that someone carried extras???  It willadd a lot of weight to the gun belt but, especailly in the case of a solider, you would think they would be an essential part of their equipment. Assuming, of course, that they could get their hands on them.     GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

knucklehead

not sure about if they had pouches back then or not.
but clint eastwood had spare cylinder pouches on his belt in one of his western movies.
wanna say it was the man with no name movie
toward the end of the movie he actually loaded a new cylinder in his 1858 remie during a break in the gun fight
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

knucklehead

Quote from: Major 2 on October 11, 2008, 10:36:10 AM
Pale Rider  ;)

just knew i had the wrong movie..... :( ;D

thanks for the correction
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Ned Buckshot

I make a couple of differant versions of cylinder pouches one is stitched to the belt similar in style to what Clint used in Pale Rider. You can see it on page 161 of show us your leather post on the first page of posts.

The other is a slide on like this.

Ned
nedbuckshot@yahoo.com
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ned Buckshot

Hre is the "Pale Rider" rig.

Ned

nedbuckshot@yahoo.com
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Ned,
Those sure look nice, and I can see why they take so much time to make!
Thanks For Sharing
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

I think I like the utility of the slide-on although the sewn on one looks cleaner. You came up with a good design, there, Ned.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Seems to me Clint used one on The Outlaw Joesy Wales too.

I remember reading about Bill Cody using them when I visited the museum in Cody WY.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

Thanks Ned, those are really great. Exactly what I had in mind and I knew I had seen one somewhere. Now all I have to do is get back home and get into the shop. Thanks again.    Gun Butcher

Professor Marvel

Quote from: JD Alan on October 24, 2008, 06:59:09 PM
Seems to me Clint used one on The Outlaw Joesy Wales too.

I remember reading about Bill Cody using them when I visited the museum in Cody WY.

If I recall correctly, I have read that Pony Express riders would carry one or two extra loaded cylinders instead of a second revolver and/or loose loads due to weight considerations. The prices charged to carry the letters were exorbinant and every  ounce was accounted for . Unfortunately I have not found evidence of how they were carried.
yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Bryan Austin

Quote from: Ned Buckshot on October 24, 2008, 04:51:20 AM
I make a couple of differant versions of cylinder pouches one is stitched to the belt similar in style to what Clint used in Pale Rider. You can see it on page 161 of show us your leather post on the first page of posts.

The other is a slide on like this.

Ned
nedbuckshot@yahoo.com

How come I couldn't find these posts last year?
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Finally;   I've assembled three cylinders for my Pietta NMA.

I get the idea of the individual cylinder pouches, but has anyone actually made the single pouch with an insert to hold the cylinders?

Lined up, three cylinders are 2 inches tall, 4 3/4 inches long and 1 5/8 inches thick.  Allowing for a one inch thick base with three pins to keep them from rattling around, that makes quite a package.  It should look like an Infantry rifle ammo pouch.

I'm going to try it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Marshal Will Wingam

That sounds like a good idea, Sir Charles. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com