Goofy Idea?

Started by Johnny McCrae, October 08, 2008, 10:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

I always had a little trouble working with a Stitch Groover for borders so I'm trying different methods to put borders on holsters. Attached are some pictures of an "Embossing Roller Tool" that I've designed. You use this tool very similar to a rolling pin. After you case the leather, you roll the tool along the edge using the adjustable yellow sleeve as a guide. It takes some practice to do this. I'm not entirely satisfied with the results but I do have a few ideas to improve this tool especially with the shape of the rollers. One thing it does do is make the two grooves parallel.

Do you think this idea has any possibilities or should I concentrate on learning how to do a better job of using Stitch Groover?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Leather/100_0750.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Leather/100_0751.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Leather/100_0755.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Leather/100_0753.jpg

This is a practice holster I made using the roller for the borders.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Leather/cas1.jpg

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

Hi Johnny,
You are an inventive fella. I'd just keep on a doin' what yer a doin'. "Practice makes perfecter".
Maybe practice with the stitch groover and round the edges to create a halfround bead with yer roller. I wish we lived closer.
I think that's a neat idea.
X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

That certainly is a cool idea. After you use if for a while, you'll get it down and be able to make some improvements on it as you learn what works. Stay with it. It has possibilities. Be sure to post any more information you get. Pics. Post pics of your projects that use it, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy Johnny
I don't think a stitch groover would be the right tool in the first place.
What you have made is just like a beader blade for a swivel knife. I have them in many different sizes
and they are much easier to control. If you don't have a beader blade you can carve two line anduse
a modeling spoon to round over the bead line. I also have a couple of hand made bead stamps that work
real good.
I'll try and post pix later.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Boys,
Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

WC, any information you have on beader blades would be greatly appreciated.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Springfield Slim

I have been using the Tandy Freehand stitching groover( 88074-11).  I like to cut the grooves, not just make an impression, soaks up the antique dye better. Takes a bit of practice to keep 2 lines parallel though.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/outlawsheath.jpg
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

cowboywc

Howdy
Here is a pix of the 2 widest blades I have & the stamps. I also did a wide bead that I cut with a single blade
and used a modeling spoon to round over.
If you have any questions just ask.
WC

Johnny McCrae

Howdy WC,

Thank you very much for sharing your expertise and the great picture you posted. I have access to a friend's machine shop so I will try to make some custom bead stamps. I'll keep you posted on how I do with this project.

santee

Man. Some good tools, there, fellas.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Springfield Slim

So do those blade actually remove leather or just cut guide lines?
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

cowboywc

Quote from: Springfield Slim on October 12, 2008, 04:24:55 PM
So do those blade actually remove leather or just cut guide lines?
Howdy
The beader blade cuts 2 lines and rounds over the center to make a bead line. You bevel both sides of the
bead to make it stand up.
WC

JD Alan

Hey WC, JD here, new kid on the block. I like the look of those grooves, but I'm not sure what you did with the stamps. Are both sides done with the (for lack of a better word) double blades on the swivel knifes? Not sure what part the stamps played.

I've used the plastic gizmo from Tandy that you mount your swivel knife in, but that's about it.

Thanks!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ace Lungger

:)hey Johnny, Great job, and great idea!! I had never saw anything like that1 I like!
Thanks for sharing that with us Johnny & CW.

Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on October 14, 2008, 03:43:16 PM
Hey WC, JD here, new kid on the block. I like the look of those grooves, but I'm not sure what you did with the stamps. Are both sides done with the (for lack of a better word) double blades on the swivel knifes? Not sure what part the stamps played.

I've used the plastic gizmo from Tandy that you mount your swivel knife in, but that's about it.

Thanks!
Howdy JD
The holster pattern on the right, the side by side bead lines were done with the 2 different bead blades
in the swivel knives. Those blades cut 2 lines and round over the center making the bead line.
The right side of the left holster pattern, the bead line was made with the bead stamp. You stamp and
walk the tool along a guide line. It does not cut a line.
The wide bead on the left side of the left pattern was done by carving the 2 lines and rounding the center
with a modeling spoon.
Hope this helps.
WC

outrider

Johnny,

Here's something I came up with.  A small double brass pulley..drove out the shaft and inserted the wheel into a Tandy hand embosser handle.  No alterations were needed the pulley wheel and the screw on the embosser were the same diameter.  Makes for a nice evenly spaced line
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider  :D

Great idea, I think Johnny McCrae will really like this, it looks to make nice even parallel lines, and I assume the brass rollers are loose enough that they roll along and and are not pushed ( the pulley rollers move freely ) to make your indention in the leather, I'm going to have to give this a try, this will give my Tandy embossing roller another way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Take care

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a great idea, pard. I guess I'll have to make a stop at the boat shop. Very nice.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

I bet with some file work that would also make an interesting border as well. Nice thinking all of ya! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

Well, those pulleys usually come with two wheels..you could file one to make an interesting border .
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Outrider,
Using a small pulley for a roller is a great idea. I was going to have my machinist friend machine a roller but now I will check my local hardware and boat store to see what they have. Attached is a PDF file of a roller design that I was thinking of making.

Howdy WC,
You have been a big help to me. I am practicing making borders with a swivel knife and modeling spoon. I'm also in the process of trying to make a couple of custom border stamps.

I have some free time now and I'm trying out every idea I get. I will post my progress. As I've mentioned before, the Leather Shop is a great source of Ideas, Suggestions and Encouragement. Many thanks to everyone!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com