Appaloosa

Started by O.T. Buchannan, October 06, 2008, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Willie Dixon on February 19, 2009, 12:05:12 AM
It'd be great if there was a director's cut.  And I also agree that Renee did a great job making the most of a part that most people will admonish.  I know plenty of girls that are like her character, and you know what, I dated one for six years... she almost got me too.  Thanks to some friends, it's all over now!

Willie....I'd feel your you pard if you had to wake up each morning with a mug like Renee Zellwegger lookin back at cha, gives me shivers just to think about it.....brrrrrrrrrrr . ;D ;D

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Marshal Deadwood

Bill, Matt Dillion taught us all how to treat women. Ya just have ta watch this clip to see how Renne Tailwagger shoulda been authentically treated in da 'Ol' West  !  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2ZAn7mwH8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2ZAn7mwH8&feature=related

Leo Tanner

;D ;D ;D

cant type rite now...
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Marshal Deadwood

Yesirree, Leo Tanner, I told my missus to never go into Dodge and mess up...Marshal Dillion will come down like Gods Thunder on her.. LOL

MD

The Connemara Kid

It was an ok movie...as good an actor as Irons is...he has to be the only Limey that can't put on an American accent.
3:10 to Yuma is probably my favorite modern western.

Marshal Deadwood

Yep, I loved 3:10 to Yuma. Charlie Prince was one psychotic character ! And Crowe's acting was outstanding.

MD

Leo Tanner

The original was better.  Better ending and more suspense.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Leo Tanner on October 03, 2009, 07:33:33 PM
The original was better.  Better ending and more suspense.

I'll second that.

As far as I'm concerned I liked "Appolossa" better than the remake of "3:10 TO Yuma".

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Harley Starr

Appaloosa isn't perfect but the duel between between Hitch and Bragg was one of the best that I've seen in recent years.

As for 3:10 to Yuma, I've never seen the original, and I look at that as good thing. I think it's safe to say that in the original everybody is armed with Colts holstered in Buscadero rigs and Winchester rifles ready to go.
When I saw the remake in theaters, I felt alittle let down by the ending but I didn't get hung up on it for very long either. Everyone who watched both versions knew what Dan Evans had to contend with in the end. I feel that the remake went out of its way to make him more heroic in his son's eyes.
A work in progress.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Ridgway on October 03, 2009, 11:18:57 PM
Appaloosa isn't perfect but the duel between between Hitch and Bragg was one of the best that I've seen in recent years.

As for 3:10 to Yuma, I've never seen the original, and I look at that as good thing. I think it's safe to say that in the original everybody is armed with Colts holstered in Buscadero rigs and Winchester rifles ready to go.
When I saw the remake in theaters, I felt alittle let down by the ending but I didn't get hung up on it for very long either. Everyone who watched both versions knew what Dan Evans had to contend with in the end. I feel that the remake went out of its way to make him more heroic in his son's eyes.

Well ya outta see the 57 version sometime.  Give it a fair shot.  If yer lookin fer lots of gunfire, it aint there but it was made very well.  Russel Crowe must of spent a lot of late nights studying that one to get his character just right, you can barely tell the difference.

Roland Deschain

Tjackstephens

I own 3:10 to Yuma and also Appaloosa. I like Appaloosa and have watched it several times, find something new every time. Do not care for 3:10 to Yuma, it does not make any sense. What a let down. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Texas Lawdog

I've never seen the remake of 310, I'm not a big Russell Crowell fan. I've seen the original 310 with Glenn Ford several times. Glenn is one of my favorite western stars.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Texas Lawdog

Appaloosa is a purty good Western. Ed Harris and Viggo do a great job, but I don't care for Nurse Betty.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Stillwater

Quote from: O.T. Buchannan on October 06, 2008, 03:29:37 PM
Trap, you are correct..:)

It's pretty much manly men doing manly things, and they ain't real apologetic about it...:)

If you want to see ultra sensitive men getting in touch with their feminine side, DON'T go see this movie, you won't like it.. ;D

I will say this:  The men in this movie tend to have 'relations' with females, without the benefit of a 'marriage certificate'...and naw, they don't apologize for that either.  Actually, they seem to be downright happy about it.  Mind you, there are no actual 'scenes', so outside of the violence, you won't have to shield the eyes of the young ones.

Actually, some of the positives of the movie are that it's not full of meaningless, over the top violence, it has no nudity, and the language (with a couple of exceptions) is not that bad. 

There are a couple of things that I really liked about the movie, and when more people report in that they've watched it, we can discuss them in more detail.

Better look at the movie again, you missed the two bare butts in the middle of the stream...!

Bill

Stillwater

Quote from: Trap on October 06, 2008, 02:05:26 PM
   Right ! if the critics don't like it, it probably means that there is a clear distinction between right and wrong and good guys use guns to right the wrongs.

Ed Harris is an extreme anti-gunner, which means he is a hypocrite...!

Being a hypocrite about guns, in Hollywood, must be considered a virtue...!

Bill

Deadeye Don

Ed Harris is an actor.  The job of actors is to act.  He did a great job in the movie.  I really don't care what he does in his personal life as that is none of my business.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Deadeye Don on October 07, 2009, 09:33:00 AM
Ed Harris is an actor.  The job of actors is to act.  He did a great job in the movie.  I really don't care what he does in his personal life as that is none of my business.

+1

Dutch Limbach

Well said Don.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Leo Tanner

Another way to look at is what if what he does with his personal life has an effect on your rights?  Not ta stir the pot, but the guy has a lot of money and exposure to focus on his causes.

Roland Deschain

Dutch Limbach

Actually, we visited the issue of the allegation that Ed Harris was "anti-gun" prior to the movie being released. The NRA-ILA has an extensive list of organizations, celebrities, and corporations that are "anti-gun":
http://www.nraila.org/issues/factsheets/read.aspx?id=15

Ed Harris is not on that list. Neither is Viggo Mortensen. And for what its worth, Mr. Harris' wife, Amy Madigan, is not on the list.

The way I look at it is that there is usually only one good Western that comes out a year. Maybe two in a very good year. I for one am not going to shun that good Western because of the personal beliefs of one or two of the performers. Pro or con.

I'll close with the thought that there is a difference between carrying on a crusade and bearing false witness.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com