Author Topic: Appaloosa  (Read 69039 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Appaloosa
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »
I didn't know that 8 ga was considered a "punt gun."  I thought that was the term they used for the 2 and 4 ga guns.  You know, the REAL biggies that had to be mounted to the bow of a boat or something like that.

Ya learn sumpin' ever' day!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
I noticed that at the end of the movie during the commentary of the cast and crew, the armorer stated the eight gauge punt gun that Viggo Mortensin used was a new gun built on a 12 gauge receiver made to fire 12 gauge blanks.....they built two of them....now that gets me to thinking...I wonder if I could...............................................................yeah I probably could!

Bill
I didn't know that 8 ga was considered a "punt gun."  I thought that was the term they used for the 2 and 4 ga guns.  You know, the REAL biggies that had to be mounted to the bow of a boat or something like that.

Ya learn sumpin' ever' day!

SHB, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.  I'm no expert, so I guess I learned something too. :-\ ???
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
You guys er right, punt guns had a two inch bore or larger.  For what it's worth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:54:47 PM »

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 03:26:31 PM »
All I know guys, is the gunsmith/armorer that built the gun....called it a punt gun. You can catch this at the end of the movie in the extras. Ed Harris also said there may be a directors cut in the future.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »
Ed Harris also said there may be a directors cut in the future.

I was thinking the same thing after watching the deleted scenes.  Some of them should have been left in IMHO.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
That happens with a lot of movies.  The reasons they cut the scenes usualy has nothing to do with the scene's merit.  It's gotta be the hardest part of a directors job.  I love those special directors editions where ya get ta see the film as God intended it.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2009, 06:10:42 PM »
I always love it when they release the director's cut less than a year after the theatrical version was released.  Hmmm.  Money grubbing?
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
I always love it when they release the director's cut less than a year after the theatrical version was released.  Hmmm.  Money grubbing?

On one side of it I'd agree, but on another, there are folks out there that want it just the way it was in the theater, so I see a reason fer both releases.  Kinda what happened with Star Wars, some folks thought all the additional stuff was cool, others called it downright blasphemy.  They almost came out of there parents basements an had a riot ;D

Roland Deschain

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
I'm one of those that liked the original theatrical release versions.  All the new stuff was, well... like I said before... Money grubbing.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »
Han shot first ;D

Sorry fer the side track there.

Roland Deschain

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »
Wait, are you one of the basement people you were talking about earlier? :o :o

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
I have read several posts about the movie here, and on other sites.  Many of them disparage Renee Zellweger as Mrs. French.  Remember she is an actor (actress?) and I thought she did a great job.  I've read the book, and the interaction between Cole and Hitch is great.  I liked the detail as to a western town right down to the "horse apples" in the street.  I enjoyed the mannerism of the characters and how they brought the story along.  "Open Range" or "Crossfire Trail" it's not but I really enjoyed it.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
Wait, are you one of the basement people you were talking about earlier? :o :o

No, just an incurable smarta$$ ::)

As far as Zellwegger goes, I thought she did a good job as an actress being exactly what she was supposed to be.  It's gotta be a hard role to take, knowing that your character is going to leave a bad taste in everyones mouth.  She played it to the nines, I've met a few like her.

Roland Deschain

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
I too thought some of the sences should have been left in. More so the one where the mining engineer and his wife were killed. Then there would have been no doubt why the marshall and his two deputies when out to arrest Bragg's men. But all in all I really llike the movie and its details to dress, weapons, manners, and the way things and people were. One movie that was quite good on the clothes, weapons, leather, and the way people were was the Steve McQueen movie Tom Horn. That was still in the Hollywood western days. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »
Isn't Ed Harris some kinda anti-firearm 'person' ? Thought I read that sometime back,,,somewheres.

IF Harris is anti-firearm (and I'm not 100% sure he is) it would have been kewl if Mortensen had shot his a&& with the 8guage and said 'OOPS!'  :(

MD

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »
Isn't Ed Harris some kinda anti-firearm 'person' ? Thought I read that sometime back,,,somewheres.

IF Harris is anti-firearm (and I'm not 100% sure he is) it would have been kewl if Mortensen had shot his a&& with the 8guage and said 'OOPS!'  :(

MD

Mike....I think you are right about Ed Harris....but if his partner would have shot him...he wouldn't have got a paycheck.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:14 PM »
It was a good movie, Bill. I loved the duel at the end.  Each time I've seen it,,,Viggo just hits my image of what Wild Bill woulda looked like...classic determined stance,,,me or your mister,,lets get the shootin' underway !

Take care hoss,
Mike

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »

MD

Neither Harris or Mortensen are on the NRA's 19 page "Black List".
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:25 AM »
Ed Harris is a certified Left Wing "celebutard". Want proof?

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_political_donations/Ed_Harris.php

All donations made to DemoRats.  ;)  May want to think twice before buying his DVD.  ;D

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
It'd be great if there was a director's cut.  And I also agree that Renee did a great job making the most of a part that most people will admonish.  I know plenty of girls that are like her character, and you know what, I dated one for six years... she almost got me too.  Thanks to some friends, it's all over now!
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com