Imitation Leather

Started by TheWaker43, October 04, 2008, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWaker43

Hi
I am looking to a quality imitation leather holster. I know that this sounds weird but, being a vegetarian, i cannot bring myself to buy real leather. Is there such a thing as a nicely made fake leather holster. The Old El Paso Saddlery #44 has had my eye for a long time but every time i go to purchase it i cannot do it. Any suggestions, I have a Ruger Vaq. by the way. Thanks a lot.
Casey

Marshal Will Wingam

Perhaps you could make one out of convertible top material or naugahyde and put beadwork on it to emulate an Indian holster. There are some leather-like materials used for airway manuals used in aircraft, but they're more like hard plastic without too much flex to them. Another idea is to use a heavy canvass or imitation buckskin, possibly multiple layers, and decorate it with embroidery or beads. Maybe some of the other pards here could suggest something else.

The one in this photo was Eastern Sioux made in 1900-1910 by putting beadwork on buckskin.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

knucklehead

I can never understand how someone can be a vegetarian.
everything was put on this planet for each species to live off of by the good lord.
I am not trying to change/bad mouth your choice just dont undertand it.

that being said you may be able to make a good holster using what Marshall will said.
all of the imation leather goods that i have had over the years did not hold up like the real deal.

you might be able to get a nylon holster and wrap imaition leather around the outside of it.

good luck in your search.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: TheWaker43 on October 04, 2008, 05:11:04 PM
Hi
I am looking to a quality imitation leather holster. I know that this sounds weird but, being a vegetarian, i cannot bring myself to buy real leather. Is there such a thing as a nicely made fake leather holster. The Old El Paso Saddlery #44 has had my eye for a long time but every time i go to purchase it i cannot do it. Any suggestions, I have a Ruger Vaq. by the way. Thanks a lot.
Casey

Let go a my leg. This is just a bit of cowboy humor, right???  ;D
You guys are a fun bunch I'll give ya that.

Support yer local cowboy,"EAT MORE BEEF".   ;) :D ;D

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Paladin UK

OK...
I give in... :D

This is a set up!!! ;)

A Veggie Holster!!  ::)

The Duke would be turnin in his grave iffn he saw this thread!! :o

Hows about ya make a cloth holster  `n` hide it under yer sash!! :P

Paladin (What jest cant take this serious like!!) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on October 04, 2008, 08:16:35 PM
Perhaps you could make one out of convertible top material or naugahyde and put beadwork on it to emulate an Indian holster. There are some leather-like materials used for airway manuals used in aircraft, but they're more like hard plastic without too much flex to them. Another idea is to use a heavy canvass or imitation buckskin, possibly multiple layers, and decorate it with embroidery or beads. Maybe some of the other pards here could suggest something else.

The one in this photo was Eastern Sioux made in 1900-1910 by putting beadwork on buckskin.

By the way Marshall. I was lookin' at a bunch a them beaded holsters in "Cowboys & The Trappings of the Old West" just a bit ago.  Look on page 103. They sure are purty. Cover that naugahyde with thick cotton duck and bead the heck out of it. Oops!!! Maybe this recipe would be tough on the cotton ducks though.  :-\ I dunno.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Major 2

I couldn't kill a Nauga for it's hide either,  less'n' I was gonna eat too.

Besides what's wrong with a leather holster , you ain't gonna eat it are you  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Mogorilla

Look to vegan clothing services.  There are plenty of shoe suppliers for Vegans, the substitute should work. 

Cutter Carl

NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Cutter Carl on October 05, 2008, 08:58:59 PM
How about HEMP.

Hemp is illegal. The Marshall will get ya! :o ;D

Hey Walker, we're just funnin' ya some. We like ya plenty.
Shoot back if ya like. I hope we ain't run ya off. We have a lot a fun with each other here.
No need to watch yer back here. We'll watch it fer ya.
Yer pard,
X Horse Pen

-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Paladin UK

Fer Waker...

QuoteShoot back if ya like. I hope we ain't run ya off. We have a lot a fun with each other here.
No need to watch yer back here. We'll watch it fer ya.

+1

Paladin (What lurvs a bitta rib ticklin  ;) ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Major 2

Just was joshing you...

On a serious note, I have a book "Historic Southern Saddles , by Bruce Ceba .
In it he shows a Confederate McClellan covered with enamled canvas ( because of leather shortage )

I made a copy of one once, and it is not only authentic but quite well wearing.
The saddle is still in use.

Simply cut you holster pattern in several layers of 14oz canvas till you have the thickness you want
about 6 should do it..
then paint with oil base Enamel one side ..you will need to tack it out so it does not Squirm around on you.
You will then sew all the layers into the holster shape & you might also want line the holster perhap faux Swede or wool
( assuming wool is OK as it does not injure the animal to harvest )

I used Black paint and joined the layers to stick together and sewed all raw edges.
You can fold a belt out of canvas and Japan it the same way...Union issue CW haversacks were made this way (though they were only a single layer ) check them out and see if that look will suit you.

It might be a cool  & PC project ...good luck 

BTW ..another product that is more flexable (if that wants you want) is Dip-it (comes in black & colors , liguid or spray can also )
it is a Oil base plastic coat.
when planets align...do the deal !

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

TheWaker43

Sorry to reply to such an old thread I started, but honestly I am still interested.  Yes I for real, I am vegan, and would like a holster/rig that is not leather.  Maybe canvas or hemp, as was suggested.  Mostly just ideas on what would be period correct.  Thanks,
casey

Marshal Will Wingam

Try laminating paper like the one Sir C linked to. Another possibility is to make it out of wood and metal like the shoulder stock/holsters.

JD Alan

How about leather from a cow that was not slaughtered? Siegel sells leather like that for people who have objections to leather taken from slaughter houses. You could buy the leather from Siegel to know what you asre getting, then find someone to build you a rig from that leather. Perhaps you could work out a trade for the remainder of the leather. Just a thought.   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Biscuit Joe

you could make a keydex holster and cover it with a leather looking material.
maybe use some of that semi clear plastic like in Tupperware products as imitation rawhide.

GunClick Rick

Im just ribbin ya,the good lord created us as veg eaters in the beginning,but sent his son  to us so we could do the other,i don't eat alot of meat myself and could probably do withou,but please don't take my veggies nuts and fruits~~~
Bunch a ole scudders!

Curley Cole

Come on and give this guy a break. There are a lot of vegans around and they are very serious about it. (and one might note that in the early days of Garden of Eden they had all the fruit and nuts and vegies they wanted. (cept the apple of course)

Walker

I shot on a posse at GFBJL with a guy whose name I can't remember, but he often plays with Jackson Turners band (Big red Sky)
at any rate he and I talked at length about this and his rig didn't look too bad. Think the belt was canvas and holster didn't appear to be canvas, but looked real good.

Ya might drop FJT a note and mention this guy and mayb he could hook ya up with him...

good shootin and good luck..
curley

PS: I just found out that Milt Sparks makes holsters in imatiation leather. While these are probably not western rigs, he could direct you to a source or make a rig for ya...worth a yell-out
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, let's not get off topic or show disrespect. I took out a few posts here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com