Question about the timing on USFA

Started by Buckaroo Lou, October 04, 2008, 09:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo Lou

I have an as new (only one cylinder of amo fired) USFA single action that I purchased recently and when cocking it the bolt drops right at the point of the cylinder notch and is beginning to make a slight indentation. It appears as though the timing is off ever so slightly. I have an older one, also, that I purchased about a year ago that I have shot only once and it has the same thing only the indentations are deeper and more predominate. It appears to have been used or at least turned much more the the one I recently purchased. What can I do if anything to prevent my newer one from getting the same indentations that my older one has and what can I do with the older one to prevent it from becomming worse? Anything short of having to send them back to the factory?

Thanks, Buckaroo Lou ???
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

RRio

Refer to the chart below. It sounds as the 'smith that timed yours at the factory might have taken off too much on the back tang of the bolt while adjusting. This is something a competent SAA 'smith will have to do, as it will require fitting a new bolt, based on how you describe the bolt dropping.

Send a PM to Banjoman. He'll fix you up.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

That's a really good illustration. As indicated, the bolt should drop, or 'pop up' halfway along the length of the lead in cut to the locking notch. Yes, it will require a good gunsmith to time it just right, and he will probably have to fit a new bolt.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Capt. Augustus

How fast the revolver is cocked will also come to bear.  If you are shooting it with one hand, it will usually be slower than shooting with two hands, using the off hand's thumb for cocking.  This will affect the speed of the cylinder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com