Author Topic: 72 Open Top question  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Mad Dog Jack

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 77862
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
72 Open Top question
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
I have a pair of Cimarrons in 45LC that I shoot BP Schoefields with. Question is, if I buy a barrel and cylinder in, say, 44 Russian is it a drop in fit? Mine are 7.5 inch Army types that when I bought them I thought I might get a 5 in barrel for the strong side gun and it came to me that I should be able to change caliber as well if I wanted to. How bout it?
NEVER drink downstream beer!
STORM #318

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 72 Open Top question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:39:01 AM »
6It may or may not be a drop-in, There was a bit oif fitting on mine between the cylinder arbor and the barrel's arbor hole size.  Also suggest buying wedges and screws for each barrel,  fit the wedge and keep it with the barrel.  I tested for fit between the frames and barrels, and started with the best fits each.  now I have two frames that can mount 38, 44 and 45 barrel and cylinders. 

The most important fit is headspace.  Start with the height of the rachet FIRST.  fit for about max. .006 over the case head to breech, and check with a few different brands of cartridge cases.  (Overall, unloaded, .062-.067 for 44 and 45,, .060-.066 for 38.) The rachet teeth need to be stoned a bit, keeping the six faces flat and even if the headspace is exsessive.  Then, only after the headspace is correct, fit the length of the gas ring until there is .001-.002 endshake with the wedge set correctly.  The wedge should be set so the face of the clearance cut is against the retaining screw'sa inner face.  Set the wedge in until the screw will turn into the cut, then drift the wedge back against the screw.  This is the proper position. If you don't think you can do it, or don't have the tools, let a gunsmith do it.
 With the endshake set so the cylinder is not pinched, the cylinder gap will be nominally correct.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Mad Dog Jack

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 77862
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
Thanks, Flint. Just the info I was looking for!
MDJ
NEVER drink downstream beer!
STORM #318

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:19:55 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com