R&D's new conversion cylinder - My pics

Started by Bottom Dealin Mike, January 23, 2005, 01:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottom Dealin Mike

Yesterday I installed one of R&D's new .38 Spl conversion cylinders to an Uberti, London Model 1851 Navy revolver. Here are some pics. Please pardon the quality. It was my first time with a digital camera.  ???

Bottom Dealin Mike

Bottom Dealin Mike

Bottom Dealin Mike

Kit components:

Catridge cylinder, optional drilling/tapping fixture, 6" long drill bit, tap, screws, conversion ring with loading gate

(Sorry for lousy picture)

Bottom Dealin Mike

Drilling/tapping fixure in place. Drill bit is inserted into guide hole. tape on bit marks drilling depth.

This fixture was a big help in drilling straight holes in exactly the right location. R&D loans them out (with a $40 deposit) or sells it.

Bottom Dealin Mike

Here is a picture of the conversion ring installed but before the frame was cut for the loading trough.

Bottom Dealin Mike

I used a Dremel tool to cut the loading trough.

Bottom Dealin Mike

Frame after cutting the trough

Bottom Dealin Mike

Left side. THe charcoal color case hardening on the R&D conversion ring goes well with the Color case hardened frame.

Bottom Dealin Mike

Final picture...here's my new baby!!   :D

stepnmud

Nice setup BDM, now we need more info on yer cutoff skeleton key for an ejector and also on loads for the larger barrel  bore. I've been using the Kirst convertor with lead balls crimped midway over .38 brass and ff goex. Sure don't sound like no wimp load. Adding a dob of butter crisco on top the loaded cylinder on first to rounds and keeps everything running fine.

Wymore Wrangler

Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Kill Creek

Bottom, great job documenting the project.  I hoping to get a couple of them soon, your photos makes me a little more sure about the job.

KC

Cheyenne

Well..........Bye!

Wheels

That's a nice little kit there.  It looks very much like the Anvil Enterprise conversion plate.  The guide for drill and tap is a nice touch.  What are the ammo requirements?  .38 LC or .38 Spec.?
Wheels

Cheyenne

Wheels, the 'official caliber" is 38LC, however it will work with 38SPL with a HBWC (for the unlined bores) or standard 38SPL with an OAL that is compatable with the cylinder length.
Well..........Bye!

MAJ Montana

Cheyenne, any thoughts from R&D about making a kit like this for the Army '60's? 

Cheyenne

MM, the '60 is one we are working on. Trying to make the ring as authentic looking as we can.
Well..........Bye!

BlaiseNSaddles

Quote from: Cheyenne on January 24, 2005, 07:37:40 PM
Wheels, the 'official caliber" is 38LC, however it will work with 38SPL with a HBWC (for the unlined bores) or standard 38SPL with an OAL that is compatable with the cylinder length.

This has me interested as well but I guess I am as dumb as a bag of hammers what the heck is HBWC or OAL?

The .38 Spl is easier to find at my local supply then .38 LC and would prefer to have a .38 spl conversion to the 1861 Navy.

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com