Pair of '75 Ubertis, all mine.

Started by Capt. Texas Elliot, October 02, 2008, 08:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Texas Elliot

Just bought a pair of .357 75's with 5 1/2 barrels. Not what I thought I would get when I started, but very happy with them. They felt great to shoot with so I thought what the heck.

They have a nice heft to them and they feel bigger than the Rugers I have handled.

Alabama

Congratulations  ;D
.357 Magnum is a fine round and is 38 Special , both very accurate in a good barrel . Uberti makes a pretty nice barrel , so your good to go !
I think the 75's are one of the more beautiful Remingtons for sure . How's about some pictures of the brace now ?

Really, congratualtions ,
Sincerely, Alabama

Capt. Texas Elliot

Thanks Alabama, I have to wait until the end of the month when I can get to the range to use them to get some pics. Hopefully I will also have my 'Charlie Prince" jacket as well for the pics.

Due to the licensing laws here in Australia I have to have had my license for 6 months so I don't get to bring them home until December.

Alabama

Bummer , I am so not used to all these overseas laws you fellas have ?
I guess were pretty spoiled in the USA .
But then again were raging maniacs here about our gun rights and wouldn't ever let them take our guns away either , at least not without a fire fight . You can have my guns but your gonna get em bullets first .That's a whole other story and this aint a pollitical forum , so enough said I supoose . It is a drag you got to wait so long though ? I guess I just don't understand that , but I hope you can hang on that long ? That would drive this man crazy !!!! It will be worth the wait !!!! Just make sure you get some good pics when you do get the range though  ;D What a darn happy day that will be when it finally comes .  ;D
I am surprised more of you don't move here mate ?
I also don't understand the higher caliber issue over there either ? Can a .38 kill less than a .45 ? Or visa-versa ????? Huh ?
What the ????? I guess they figure a .454 Bp cap and baller is less lethal than a modern .454 Colt Peacemaker with modern cartridges ??? HUH !!!!! That's just non-sence to me ? And there are laws like that there , really ?
I am counting my blessings today , and you have my full empathy and sypathy . That would jusk suck to have to deal with that hypocrocy and lack of informative intelegence your having crambed down your throats . But, at least you can owne something, which is good too .
Oh a joyous day when you do get them , oh what a joyous day  ;D

Alabama

Capt. Texas Elliot

What are these like with the Holy Black?

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Capt. Texas Elliot on October 05, 2008, 12:46:27 AM
What are these like with the Holy Black?

Without badmouthing Remingtons, they gunk up quickly.  Generally.  Also generally, they have tighter headspace and less cylinder gap than Colt designs.  It's one of the reasons for the well-known accuracy of Uberti's 1875 replicas!  They have a GREAT rep for outstanding accuracy with nearly any load you can feed them with.

However, if you use plenty of lube you can get them to work very faithfully.  Many of us use the BigLube famaily of bullets and it works out great.

You can buy the moulds from Dick Dastardly www.biglube.com or buy cast and lubed bullets from Springfield Slim http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

Have fun shooting those beauties of yours!

I used to have a pair of 7.5" 1875s in 45 Colt, but I was offered a sweet deal for one of them.  Now I'm down to two: an 1875 and an 1858/63 NMA cap & ball revolver.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Capt. Texas Elliot

Thanks Gentlemen. Looking forward to being able to take them home and personalise them

These aren't mine but they look exactly like these ones.

I'll be stripping the shiny grips and going with an oiled timber look.

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Capt. Texas Elliot

When I was using them a few weekes back (before I bought them), I did notice how 'tight' they seemed. It impressed me how well made they were.

I have been searching though this site looking at info on loading .357/.38 with blackpowder, still looking actually, and really want to use BP. I like big booms, lots of smoke and recoil  ;D

Of course I know a .45 would be better for all of those but as I said earlier I can't have .45's until at least next June or July.

Steel Horse Bailey

Loading with BP is simple. 

Fill case with 3F Goex.  Seat bullet so that it compresses the powder.  Make sure you put on a good crimp.  LOTS of lube is best, i.e. BigLube Snakebite Greasewagons (see the picture on Slim's website.)

Shoot.

Prepare self for smell of BP fragrant smoke and LOTS of grins.

When you return home, wash now empty cases in hot water and a bit of dishsoap.  Clean BP residue from guns.

Repeat as often as possible.

It ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

;D

Captain, that was the Reader's Digest condensed version, but once you get the hang of it, it'll seem about that easy.  There are LOTS of good hints to be found on "The Darksider's Den" section here in CAS City, and be sure to read thoroughly the "child board" of The Darksider's Den called "The Dark Arts."

Remember:

Lube, lube and more lube ...
Ballistol plus water (called "moosemilk") is a good BP cleaner and lube, but "Hoppes #9 Plus"   BP cleaner works as well ...
Magnum primers are NOT necessary, despite some thinking - but they do fine ...
2F will work for everything from pistol to rifle to long-range rifle to shotgun - but I prefer 3F for pistol calibers and have used it for      everything I load ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com