winchester 1876 question

Started by tarheel mac, January 23, 2005, 05:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel mac

Any of your fellers know the magazine capcity of the Winchester 1876 model?  And I am talking about the full sized rifle here, not a carbine...I can't find any info on the 'web, and can't locate my book on Winchester. 

Thanks in advance for any help....

Capt. Hamp Cox

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st_0301_blackpowder/

Repeating Rifles
What about repeating rifles? Well, in 1878 there was only one cartridge that offered big-bore power from a repeating rifle. It was the .45-75 WCF, and it was the introductory caliber for Winchester's Centennial Model, otherwise known as the Model 1876. This rather immense rifle was simply the Winchester Model 1873 toggle link design scaled up. Standard barrel length was 28 inches, and weight was almost 11 pounds, especially when its 12-round magazine was filled with cartridges. When Winchester introduced the .45-75 WCF it aimed to equal the power of the already famous .45-70 Government cartridge. To work in a repeating rifle's action the case had to be shorter than the .45-70's 2.10 inches; therefore, Winchester made the .45-75 WCF case only 1.88 inches. But it was of bottleneck configuration. Original Winchester factory loads used 350-grain flatnose bullets over 75 grains of blackpowder for nominal velocities of about 1350 fps. Big-game hunters of the day, including Teddy Roosevelt, considered the Winchester Model 1876 .45-75 adequate for game as large as grizzly bears and moose. Prior to the Model 1876, Winchester had chambered rifles only for the .44 Henry Rimfire and .44 WCF (.44-40) rounds. A .44 Henry Rimfire cartridge gave about the same muzzle energy as one of today's four-inch-barreled .357 Magnum revolvers, and as we have already seen, the .44 WCF was puny enough for easy accommodation in revolvers. The .45-75 WCF was Winchester's first cartridge suitable for true big-game hunting. Before it came along American riflemen had to rely on single shots when large or dangerous game was the quarry.

tarheel mac

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com