Mershon and Hollingsworth Revolving Automatic Rifle

Started by Henry4440, September 24, 2008, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

Mershon and Hollingsworth revolving cylinder automatic rifle. Patented in 1855. A spring mechanisim automatically fired and rotated the cylinder. The trigger could be locked in back position for full automatic fire. To wind up the spring, a ratchet lever is located just behind the receiver. Six shot percussion .40 caliber.

;)

Forty Rod

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Henry4440

Quote from: Forty Rod on September 24, 2008, 03:06:47 PM
Made where and in what numbers?

Sorry FR, i did know nothing about this gun. :-[ :-[
First time i heard or read something about it.

;)

Forty Rod

I gotta know more about this thing.  It's one of the fascinating gizmos that just get me going no end.   ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Henry4440

FR, in 2006 Greg Martins Auction sold a
...Rare Prototype Colt Model 1860 Army Percussion Revolver with Mershon & Hollingsworth Cocking Device
Serial no. 3803, .44 caliber. Standard cylinder and 7 1/2-inch barrel with New York markings. Custom brass frame with case-hardened hammer and oil-finished walnut grips. Right side of frame with circular German silver fitting inscribed: Mershon & Hollingsworth/Sept. 8th 1863. Left side of frame fitted with wheel-shaped steel panel cocking device with folding rim. Evidently designed to create a self-cocking revolver similar to the later British Fosbery revolver. Rear of frame with fire-blued lever engaging the hammer and evidently serving as a safety. Elongated hammer.....

Here are some pics:

;)

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Angel_Eyes

That pistol looks awesome, but with the height of the barrel above the gunhand the recoil  and muzzle flip must have been something fierce, and it was supposed to be self cocking??? Where did the second shot go?
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Story

How completely STEAM PUNK!!!

Artemus Gordon, in the house!

Forty Rod

"Where does he find those wonderful toys?"  (The Joker-Jack Nicholson)

Dakota Widowmaker

Why does that trigger on the rifle look like its pointing in the wrong direction?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com