Flask or Phials

Started by Angel_Eyes, September 24, 2008, 08:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel_Eyes

Concerning the dispensing of Holy Black, which method do Darksiders use (or have to use).
It's getting very non-PC to use flasks over here, the excuse being safety.
Not that I'm against safety, but I like the traditional way of doing it, (loading, that is!!)
You can't beat getting it out, pointing it in the right direction, filling it up and then fumbling with your balls.(Cap that!) 
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Noz

Qball

I have seen a flask blow up (as an experiment)
and i aint holding it in front of my nose (just to be safe)
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Fingers McGee

I always use a flask when charging C&B revolvers - always have - always will.  Chance of there being an ember that could cause ignition of powder being poured in after the pistol has been holstered for two or three minutes is infinitesimaly small.  With that being said - I always use a powder measure (hollowed out antler tip) to charge my muzzleloading rifles and single shot pistols cause the longer barrels increase the chance of an ember remaining that could cause the charge to ignite.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Noz

Quote from: fingersmcgee on September 24, 2008, 11:34:44 AM
I always use a flask when charging C&B revolvers - always have - always will.  Chance of there being an ember that could cause ignition of powder being poured in after the pistol has been holstered for two or three minutes is infinitesimaly small.  With that being said - I always use a powder measure (hollowed out antler tip) to charge my muzzleloading rifles and single shot pistols cause the longer barrels increase the chnace of an ember remaining that could cause the charge to ignite.

+1

Pettifogger

I always use a flask when charging C&B revolvers - always have - always will.  Chance of there being an ember that could cause ignition of powder being poured in after the pistol has been holstered for two or three minutes is infinitesimaly small.  With that being said - I always use a powder measure (hollowed out antler tip) to charge my muzzleloading rifles and single shot pistols cause the longer barrels increase the chnace of an ember remaining that could cause the charge to ignite.

+2   The odds of being killed driving your car to the range are far higher.  There is anecdotal evidence for almost everything conceivable.  I have read of an incident where a can of BP supposedly blew up while the cap was being unscrewed.  If it ever gets to the point where you can't use a flask to charge your C&B revolvers I'll go back to model railroading.  Of course, if you put your fingers on the two rails you might get shocked.  Maybe stamp collecting.  Might be licking a stamp hinge and accidentally swallow it and choke to death.  Phooey, maybe I should just stay in bed.  Could get hit by a meteorite.  Gosh, now I'm panicked.

Dalton Masterson

I use a flask for all my cap and ball loading, including the rifle. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Black Powder

+3

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Paladin UK

Fer UK Shooter........

QuoteIt's getting very non-PC to use flasks over here, ???

It might jest be a `local thing` ::)

FWIW......

ALL of us here at Picketts Hill use flasks of all shapes `n` sizes since the Pistol Ban (10yrs ago)!!, I aint seen ONE pard usin a Phial!! 

And that includes pards that are BWSS competition shooters!!

Paladin (What aint usin no stinkin Phial   >:( ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Pettifogger

Paladin UK

Ho Pettifogger
The BWSS (British Western Shooting Society)  is the Brit equivalent of the SASS, it was started by Bob Dunkley who was a Top Practical Pistol Shooter, Saw CAS in the states and fell in love with the idea and so he started the BWSS in the UK

Paladin (Whats reel greatful ta Badass Bob(Bob Dunkley) BWSS #1  ;D) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Lemme Guess!

British Western Shooting Society
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Paladin UK

WHY Sir Charles... :o

You`ve been peekin!!

Paladin (Whats  :o ) UK

Paladins Web Site

hellgate

Fingers McGee summed it up: The deep barrels of long guns could harbor an ember but unless you are using paper cartridges the liklihood of an ember remaining in the short chambers of a revolver is about nil. I use a flask but not in the rifle or shotgun.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Honest, PUK!  I didn't peek.  It was just a matter of near-simultaneous posting.

That's my tale, and its stickin' to me!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Angel_Eyes

Hiya PUK, Ref the non-PC, try asking those bastions of peace and tranquility, the MLAGB or NRA if you can use flasks in any of their comps. Take a wild guess at the calm and dignified way they will tell you. The NRA RCO at a Phoenix comp DQ'd me because my old Marlin .44lever gun was not fitted with a safety!!!! Shock, horror, fancy wanting to move forward on a live firing range with a full mag tube and no safety......Sheiiiiii*
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Buffalow Red

whats a safety
must be some thing that comes on the new guns
us poboys only afford old guns
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Mako

I always use a flask when charging C&B revolvers - always have - always will.  Chance of there being an ember that could cause ignition of powder being poured in after the pistol has been holstered for two or three minutes is infinitesimaly small.  With that being said - I always use a powder measure (hollowed out antler tip) to charge my muzzleloading rifles and single shot pistols cause the longer barrels increase the chance of an ember remaining that could cause the charge to ignite.

+4

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Steel Horse Bailey

I guess I'm #5 (or more) in favor of flask loading.

The bigger the group - the more paranoid and petty they become regarding rules. 

There's NOTHING wrong with safety - but some groups lose their common sense about some details easily!

'Nuff said.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Alabama

I am the minority here , I always load with a measure .
I have never loaded with a flask . But then again I aint in a hurry either .  ;D
I drink my coffee slow too  ;D

I understand the rules some clubs impose , and it is for safety reasons , even if its HIGHLY unlikely that your flask is going to ever blow up because of embers in a pistol cylinder . That being said , it could happen , that is why they don't want you to do it .
If your alone with yourself , then by all means blow your head off , please . If your sitting with me , be safe, I expect you to !
I eliminate " ALL " possibilities of my flask blowing up by not loading with the flask . Enough said ?
Is it faster loading with a flask ? Yes . Is it safer ? NO  ;D
If its your Range your shooting on , make your own rules . If its not, then oh well , deal with it or go home .
I figure if your in that big a hurry then shoot Cartridge guns , solves the problem of your moral dilema of following the rules at someone elses range or club or community that wants to rule out any mishaps .
If your ducking bullets wizzing around your head , then you might not be at a CASS shoot anyway , your at War !!! By all means load with your flask then  ;D
If your sitting with me ( or standing ) you better be loading with your measure if you just shot your pistol , or I will be moving away from you . Most would agree that that would be a good thing to have happen anyway  ;D

My two cents , worth one .

Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com