Hammer straps/loops

Started by crossdraw, September 18, 2008, 08:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossdraw

I am making a holster for a friends Ruger, its a short 2 3/4" barrel gun. He wants a strap that pulls over the hammer to help hold the gun in the holster. I am not sure of the best method to attach the strap. Does anyone have any pictures or a description on how to do this.

I am making a plain holster, a modified pattern off the Dodge City holster. The belt loop is sewn to the back side of the holster instead of having a strap that crosses over the front.

Thanks for the help.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Buffalo

Does this help? Rivet the strap on the back side about where the curve starts to go up. (if that makes any sense)
Buff

Marshal Will Wingam

I've also seen a thong, much like a leather shoelace strung up between the keeper strap on a skirt holster. It makes a loop at the top and both ends run down behind the strap and a knot tied in the thong so you could pull it down to cinch the hammer with it but still slide it up to release it. Simple friction keeps it in place. It can also be done by punching two holes in the pouch and stringing the thong down through them to accomplish the same thing. Here's a pic from Packing Iron showing the latter type.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D ;D ;D :D ;D ::) ;D :o Hey" Will", looks like you've been thinking outside the BOOK, ;D ;D ;D :o 8)

Looks great Pard  8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

crossdraw

Thanks for the help

Buff
I like that holster, I will have to try the integrated strap like that. I already had the pattern cut so I went with Marshal's suggestion.

I punched two small holes about 3/8" apart on the backside of the holster where a gap between the leather and gun is, between the barrel and cylinder. I am going to thread both ends of  the leather string down through the holes and tie a knot at the end. Like marshal said, pulling down on the knot will tighten the loop. I plan on putting a small strap at the top of the loop to make it easy to pull the loop over the hammer.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: crossdraw on September 21, 2008, 08:24:18 AMI plan on putting a small strap at the top of the loop to make it easy to pull the loop over the hammer.
Good idea, that should work good. You could also use two straps instead of one looped over and knot the top end as well, leaving the ends long enough to serve the purpose. Be sure to post a picture when it's done.

crossdraw

Been so busy I forgot to post pictures of the finished holster.

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, Crossdraw. The tab on the loop looks like it'll do the job fine. Nice holster. Thanks for posting the pictures.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com