1st Model Richards

Started by Fox Creek Kid, September 18, 2008, 12:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

I have decided to splurge and am "outsourcing" work to the Austrian gunsmith Nedbal to make me a 1st Model Richards conversion ring to fit on one of my Type II's. Long John Wolf is doing the translating and helping me as we all know what a great fella he is by sharing with us his cornucopia of conversion info. I had a gunsmith buddy remove the Type II ring today. It was very easy actually. Nedbal in Austria does not need the frame, but only the Type II ring in order to make a 1st Model ring to fit. He also needs the hammer to cut down and cylinder dimensions along with headspace. I will have to do final fitting of the ring here but it should be very easy as he will copy the dimensions of my Type II ring as relates to frame fit.  I figure it's the only way I am going to get a correct 1st Model like I want as I know that Nedbal has an original for a template. When done it will be a nickel plated 1st Model Richards with fire blue screws & trigger. The grips are Gripmaker faux ivory with the Mexican eagle.

Long Johns Wolf

I love cornucopia which translates nicely into "Füllhorn".
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Pappy Hayes

I believe I know where the headspace is, but can you tell me for sure and how to measure it. Let us know when you get your ring and trigger back and show us some pictures. I may want to do the same thing. I have always wanted a Type I also.

Dusty Morningwood

Hmmmmm!  This could be an opportunity to match up a slightly cheaper version with the Kenny Howell version I just bought.  Do keep us posted.  Maybe with a group order he could give a better deal?  ;)

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteAre there any hoops that must be jumped thru to get the new conversion ring into this country?

None that I know of, however you cannot export/import the frame, which is THE gun in the eyes of the ATF as you would have to go through the U.S. Department of State. I am sending only the conversion ring off my gun plus the hammer to be milled. I also gave him the headspace measurement between the breech face of the ring and the cylinder face. Here's the reply I received from the ATF regarding exporting a firearm frame out of the country:

"You must contact the U.S. Department of State in order to temporarily export a firearm frame from the United States. Further information regarding export licenses and restrictions may be obtained from: Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, U.S. Department of StatePM/DDTC, SA 1, Room 1200 Washington, DC 20037 202-663-1282."

Abilene

Has anyone contacted Ron Snover "The Ottway Smith" about making a Type 1 ring?  He showed me one he had done on one of his '51 Richards-Masons a couple years ago (there were no Type 2's then).  I took a picture but not sure where it is.  Don't know if he's ever done it for others.

Fox Creek Kid

Yes, I spoke with him about a month ago and he does NOT want to get into it. He has made 1st Model rings but they were all for Navy guns, which as I am sure most know is historically incorrect. He is a super nice fella and from what I hear a great 'smith as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com