Barlow pocket knives

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, September 14, 2008, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

I just saw the other post on Frontier Knivfe books, and it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask, My Grandad was born in 1886, and he had what he called a Granddady Barlow pocket knife, I've heard reference to this knife in some of the western movies and novels I've read, I believe it had a 3 3/4" main blade and a stockmans blade of 3 1/2", or give or take on the length, does any one know when this knife came about, these are great knives, they fit the hand just right and the blades were supper sharp, of course my Granddad kept them that way, I see them once in a while on the Knife Shop, and they also make these in a Baby Barlow style too. If any of you know when and where they came about I would appreciate your input. ??? Thanks ahead of time. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Forty Rod

Check Barlow's website.  There's a picture of a Red Ryder Barlow that should look familiar.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D Thanks Forty Rod

I checked there web site, and found the they go back to the 17 th Century, so thats why they were so common in the 18 th Century, and just about every cowpoke to farmer to young boy had one. ??? ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Goatlips

I remember the old Barney Google offshoot, Snuffy Smith, carried a Barlow knife that his wife always asked him to produce.   :P

Goatlips

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on September 14, 2008, 05:45:32 PM
If any of you know when and where they came about I would appreciate your input. ??? Thanks ahead of time. :D

Greetings TenWolves
Whilst the origin of the Barlow may be up for grabs ( check out http://www.barlowgenealogy.com/Edson/barlowknife.html )
I can relate the following - at one time I volunteered as a "enlisted man,  Blacksmith's Apprentice" at Historic Fort Snelling, MN.
The paid historians had put together several lists of approved personal items which were correct for the 1812 period. This
included period correct eyeglasses (not common due to cost for an enlisted man) period correct boots (shoes - left and right
were identical!) clay pipes, tobacco (mainly "twist") , sewing kits, shaving kits, cheap wallets, coin purses, and
FOLDING BARLOW POCKETKNIFES.
Thankfully, like the French Cagouille  and the French Opinell, the design has remained essentially unchanged to this day.
hope this helps
yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Steel Horse Bailey

I think EVERYBODY'S Grandpa had a Barlow knife!

When I was young, I thought that Barlow knives were the only type of folding pocket knives!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on October 27, 2008, 11:42:29 AM
I think EVERYBODY'S Grandpa had a Barlow knife!

When I was young, I thought that Barlow knives were the only type of folding pocket knives!

Thanks Pards

I didn't have any idea they went back that far, and Professor Marvel your right they haven't changed a bit.

Steel Horse, I use to think the same thing, like the Barlow was the only pocket knife made.

Goatlips, your right , I seem to remember Snuffy Smith and his Barlow.

Thanks to all for the feed back  ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com