Are they Armies or Navies?

Started by Riot Earp, September 12, 2008, 06:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fingers McGee

The '61 Navies were available with all the same features as the '60 Armies; but, the model never caught on (only just shy of 39,000 made overall).  There were only around 100 fluted cylinder '61 Navies and another 100 or so that were set up for the shoulder stock that were made.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Flint

I have 3 fluted Armies, a second gen Colt and 2 Ubertis.  As they were factory made, the timing os OK.  My problem was trying to get a '61 spare cylinder working. It does, but it was harder to tune up than a plain cylinder.  In my experience, the standard round cylinders in an Uberti are usually a drop-in.  I have 6 1860s and a half dozen spare cylinders.  I can load up six or eight cylinders at home  on a cylinder loading stand (from Dick Dastardly) and get through 3 or 4 stages before having to reload.  Of course, that costs some cash for the cylinders and Treso nipples.  The point is, though, that the cylinders are interchangable among 6 revolvers.

The timing is good on all of them, except that only one of the six revolvers will work without overtravel with my R&D conversion cylinder, but with a bit of work inside, others would be OK, I assume.

I also have spare cylinders for the 51 and 61 Navies, which are also interchangable without gunsmithing between a half dozen Ubertis.  (51', 61's, London and Leech & Rigdon)  Four others are converted with gated R&D and Kirst, but of course, some gunsmithing was required there.

Commenting on Finger's note, additionally, most of the 38 or 39,000 '61 Navies were civilian models, not cut for the shoulder stock four screw types, which numbered only in the hundreds.  Unfortunately, the majority of Italian 61 Navies are four screw.  They are more comfortable to hold without the extra screws sticking out.  The gripframes are brass on both the 61 and 60 Civilian models.

Commenting on the Pietta fluting, I don't like it.  As good as that style fluting looks on a cartridge gun, it just isn't right on a cap & ball, to me.  The 5-shot Uberti Pocket Police have a half flute, as the location of the locking notch dictates that.  I think the rounded edge fluting looks better than the sharp edged cartridge flute style on a cap & ball.

So, don't pass up a factory Uberti full flute Army, they are fine, and get style points at the range.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Riot Earp

Here's serial number 1 of the Colt 1861 Navy. Note that the flutes are different from the 1860's flutes and also from Uberti's '51/'61 flutes.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freeads/auction.cgi?action=ViewItem&ID=1215448273&Lang=English

And Flint is correct -- most Italian '61s have four-screw frames and are cut for a shoulder stock. Why this is, I don't know. I managed to find a brand new Uberti '61 with a three-screw frame and a brass TG/BS. Midway USA still stocks them. Trying to get one from Cimarron is a study in frustration, though they are listed on their website. Taylor's only stocks the four-screw model. Dixie used to stock the three-screw version, but at last check, it had vanished. The thing is, the grip shapes are different. The steel grip frame is more comfortable than the brass one, but I hate that fourth screw.

Fingers McGee

Signature Series 1861 Navies have the 4 screw frames cut for the shoulder stock.  2nd Generation models have 3 screw frames.
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Riot Earp

Ah, yes. Thanks. There's another option if you crave a three-screw version. The Second Generation '61s are super nice.

Here's a photo from "barman" on TheHighRoad BP Forum, courtesy of Photobucket, that shows a lovely three-screw Uberti flanked by a German and a French gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/river_of_deceit/revolver/P1000464.jpg

Mine looks exactly like his but is being antiqued by Deadguy. :)

Fingers McGee

Here's a picture of my 2nd Gen 61s - plus a couple other C&Bs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com