Making Photos Look Old

Started by Coal Creek Griff, September 09, 2008, 06:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coal Creek Griff

I've been thinking of taking some digital photos of myself and my family, then trying to make them appear old to sell to collectors as originals (just kidding on that part). 

Any hints on altering digital photos to make them look like they were taken in 1880?  I know I read something somewhere, but I can't find it...

Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Delmonico

Quote from: Coal Creek Griff on September 09, 2008, 06:31:30 PM
I've been thinking of taking some digital photos of myself and my family, then trying to make them appear old to sell to collectors as originals (just kidding on that part). 

Any hints on altering digital photos to make them look like they were taken in 1880?  I know I read something somewhere, but I can't find it...

Thanks!

CC Griff

Use the sepia tone part of yer photo program, print and then beat them around a bit. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

El Peludo

You can also buy sepia or antique toned photo paper to use in your printer.  Back in the "day" we used sepia toned paper, or dyes that would color the white or ivory paper that we printed on; I even tried using tea, or diluted coffee, but the results were less than satisfactory, and the prints came out looking just sort of dirty and blotchy.  Low gloss or matte paper gives the best appearance with the tinted prints.  I love the new technology, but sure do wish I could spend some good old quiet time in the darkroom; one can hardly find enlarger papers or sheet or even 120/220 large format film anymore, or find the chemicals and equipment, except on the internet at some used or antique sites.  Working in the darkroom was almost a zen kind of experience for me.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Curley Cole

There are a number of ways of making them look old. I have found I get a better sepia tone on the computer if first I make the image grayscale, then increase the color back to 16m color (you can't apply sepia to a grey scale image) It makes it look more authentic.

You can also take an old cabinent card, edit out the person in the image, then outline the image of yourself and then cut and paste it into the cab card. I did one of Old Top that came out neat.

you can see several of my pictures on my web page at

http://sdough.smugmug.com

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Coal Creek Griff

Thanks, gents.  I'll play around with it and see how it turns out.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Marshal'ette Halloway

PHOTO album is awesome.. When I have time I am going to try my hand at the program.
SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

Coal Creek Griff

Thanks again!  I'd like to add some "distress" (stains, chips, etc) to the photos too...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Trailrider

Don't know about these other techniques (I used to use color-processed black & white film that came out sepia-toned), but all I have to do to make an image of ME look old is...have somebody take the picture!  ::) ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Coal Creek Griff

HA!  That's good.

My father was into photography when I was growing up and when we built a new house when I was eight, he had a darkroom built.  I bought my first decent camera when I was 14 (after saving forever) and I spent most weekends taking pictures, then developing them.  When I moved out during college, I started getting my film commercially processed and I haven't been in a darkroom since.  Now with digital photography...

Ah, those were some good days, though, locked in the darkroom, blasting my music and working on my photos.  Those are good memories.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Curley Cole

Yup I still have 2 enlargers in the garage and 3 35mm cameras. (also have a 4x5 view camera a friend gave me...

As for digital darkroom may I suggest Paint Shop Pro. It is much cheaper than Adobe, and has almost all the whistles and bells, and is a lot more user friendly.

Let us see some of yer work...

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Curley Cole

Here is an old cabinent card I scanned and took the original soldier out and put Old Top in. Then I put my name on it for the photographer.Did it abouut 3 years ago. Tops uniform was new back then...I keep meanin to do a few more but get distracted.

enjoy

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Coal Creek Griff

It's an old post, but I was playing around with pictures again.  I'm not completely happy with what I've done here, but I'm working on it.  I don't think that there were as many old photos with the "pinhole" darkening around the edges, but I tried it anyway.  I also added some "scratches" to the second one...

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Trailrider

Can the image be reversed in some of these programs?  That way you could make the photo look like a tintype where the image is reversed (like Billy the Kid's "lefthanded" Winchester '73!)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Curley Cole

Here are a couple I did some time ago. Used "Professor Franklin" There are other programs that do the same technique

Them pix ya did looked cool...

And yes some programs have a flip option..

How about some other folks showin their stuff

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Delmonico

Well what do you think of these, of course I have a good prop: ;D

(BTW this is at Rock Creek Station Newbrassky Territory and the stage is out of the Pony Express Museum in Marysville Kansas)

And some things just don't work, like my pick-up crossing the toll bridge over Rock Creek" ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Curley Cole

Del
I love them pix. 4Trod had me mess with one for him...I think you got the best of this thread...

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Here's a few I've did of other folks from the 2008 GAF Muster:

Gun Garret and his wife in the dining hall at Ft. Hartsuff:

Inside the ward room:

River City John on the barracks porch:

Scooter

[
Some folks wating for and eating breakfast:

One of River City John that would make a good stereoscope picture "Remember the Maine:

I really like this one, looks hand tinted, Oscer making hash for breakfast:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Coal Creek Griff

These are great!  Keep 'em coming.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Curley Cole

Pix are great and looks like a blast..wish I waz there..

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com