Natural vs. Bottle Dyes

Started by cowboywc, September 09, 2008, 03:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Howdy All
I've been following the posts on natural dyes.
From a custom business view, I can't wait for nuts to boil and for leather to soak for 4-5 days
(not to mention it's not the best thing for leather). I've been using bottled dyes and stains all my career.
Here is a knife sheath I'm working on that took me less than 5 min to mix, 5 min to apply, 1/2 hr in sun,
2 min for finish coat and 45 min back in the sun.
I'll post finished pix when I get it sewn.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

I like that a lot, WC. Great design and the border really is nice. That color has some real depth to it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

What's that border stamp, pard? It looks great.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Thank you Will
The stamp is a PX006 from Hide Crafter.
The color is Walnut leather stain from Fiebings mixed with pure neatsfoot oil. Skidmores for a finish.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, WC. I'll round one up. Outstanding.  ;)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Wc  ;D

Nice knife Sheath, and like Marshal Will said I really like the border trim, and your flower carving really stands out well, I look forward to seeing it finished, I understand Why you prefer the bottled dyes and stains, and for you this is the best way to go, but for me myself and I,I enjoy making these old timey recipe's, this is what retired Pards do when they have a lot of time on there hands, and it's a lot of fun ta boot, I can't wait to make some of Aces Pecan dye, I guess I just enjoy doing all this leather stuff, and remember you're the one that started me doing all this leather work Pard, ( LOL ) and I'll forever be gratfull for that, THANKS WC,you just might have created a Natural Dye Monster, HEE HEE.. ::) :o ;D 8) ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on September 10, 2008, 02:24:35 PMTHANKS WC,you just might have created a Natural Dye Monster, HEE HEE.. ::) :o ;D 8) ;)
We can call you "The Hull"  ;D

Ace Lungger

:)WC, AWESOME!!!!
I would like to state that I have never seen a knife sheath that Purdy!! I was going to use anothe more fitting word, but my spelling is getting worst by the day.
I under stand why you use the allready made dyes, for many reasons! Fast, go to the store and buy if you are out, or have extra on hand at all times, plus you can mix to get that exact color! I use the natural dyes, simply because I don't have the money to buy dyes! I have time to boil and boil, then store then wait or what ever! Also you make your living with your Talent, and boy o boy do you have talent!! there is another on here that has talent but wont fess up or sale his stuff!!
My stuff is only good enought to give away, I try to do the best I can, and every project I try to do better! Also if you think about it, my town is 2200, i offered to supply everything except the labor to put in a cowboy field, and not one person cared. You have to drive 150 miles to go to a SASS shoot. No one in Oswego needs any leather goods. So time, isn't a big deal! I am freaked out that MW holster did that, I have never had a piece get lighter, maybe I am over treating my leather, and that is why it doesn't lighten up?

WC, Your Tops!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
The time is a big issue for me from a business stand point, but the over saturation of the leather is a bigger
concern to me. The loss of oils from it is not being return enough. The leather may seem fine now but I
don't want a customer coming back in a year because his leather rotted.
WC

cowboywc

Howdy All
Here is the finished sheath.
WC

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looks great WC, WELL DONE and the color and shade are nice too, it really brings out your border stamping and your carving.

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks cool, WC. I like the crossdraw loop. That will be a comfortable one to wear. Thanks for the pics.

Irish Dave

That front panel is gorgeous, WC. Very nice indeed.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

santee

Stupendous! I like the color you achieved. Didn't know Fiebings made a walnut stain.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

HorsePen Henry

Nice piece of carving, WC.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com